that prickly feeling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• that prickly feeling

most weeks are good in recovery but i still have that feeling like im being pricked with a needle at vaious points of my back. it happens quickly like one second but its bothersome. i especially feel it when i have over done it sitting or not moving around enough. anyone feel this? how long does this persist? i had surgery around may 1st.

I'm 3+ months post-op and have the same sensations...it's the nerves growing back together...Dr. said it could last a year, so hang in there.

Comment

when i'm cold, I get that feeling..when the skin contracts so do the nerves......has anyone had numbness down the leg after surgery? I thought this is normal..but it does not seem to get better....It's to early to tell....just answered my own questions....recovery is so hard and I had other surgeries...sorry to scare anyone...
      CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
      fused T4 -L3
      Hip graft
      Grown 1 1/2 inches
      25/o upper T 15/o
      53/o T 15/o
      37/o L 6/o
      Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
      New York City

August 6, 2004
      Pulmonary Embolism
      complication from surgery

January 2007 currently
      increasing pain at the T4/5
      point irratation heardwear

Comment

Connie, I didn't have numbness down my leg. Lots of places on my back, side, and belly are numb. Slowly areas of my back are starting to get feeling back into it. I had someone rub body butter on my back every night and that seemed to help. My skin was very dry after the surgery. I didn't start that until about 3 weeks after the surgery and at first I didn't put it on the incision, just real close. I also found sleeping with a pillow under my knees helps. It's 3 months since my surgery and I still use the pillow. I am now able to sleep on both sides, even though the right side is still a little tender. That's where my anterior incision is. From reading your posts it sounds like you've been though some big surgerys before. Just remember to try not to look to far ahead. It seems like forever. Rest whenever you can. I also try to think of the pain as a healing process going on. Take care of yourself and let others do for you whenever possible. Theresa
        Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
        Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
        Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
        Fused T2 to sacrum
        June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
        MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Thanks for your reply that makes me feel much better. my right leg seems to get numb faster when i am in bed. Unfortunately that has always been my favorite side to sleep on before the surgery. So i am getting used to sleeping on my back. Has anyone been able to sleep on their stomach yet or is that too dangerous?

Comment

My left leg is almost back to "normal" and that is 3 1/2 weeks post-op. I can only lie on my left side for a few minutes. Still need a pillow under my knees.

Comment

Joybell...

My understanding is that sleeping on your tummy is very bad for your lumbar spine. I haven't intentionally slept that way since before my surgery 12 years ago, but if I get overly tired, I still occasionally wake up in that position.

--Linda
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

swollen area

Last night I tried to use a lidoderm patch, and when i woke I found that area to be swollen with fluid..so i took it off...i took a one hour car drive to the doctor 2 c the nurse, she took off the seri strips and said that i was healing beautiful......that made me feel great....I told her about the pain and she said I should take care of this with my dr. in New Jersey.....since everyone I know is on vacation this is gonna be hard!!!
                CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
                fused T4 -L3
                Hip graft
                Grown 1 1/2 inches
                25/o upper T 15/o
                53/o T 15/o
                37/o L 6/o
                Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
                New York City

August 6, 2004
                Pulmonary Embolism
                complication from surgery

January 2007 currently
                increasing pain at the T4/5
                point irratation heardwear

Comment

regarding tummy sleeping

Sleeping on your front is also a strain on the neck (with or w/o a fused spine) as it is prolonged hyperextension (backwards bending) and rotation. I used to love to sleep in that position and I found that hugging a small pillow close to my chest helps relax me in a similar way. N

Comment

Working...
                  X