Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kimmy's Eight Week Post-Op Status

Hello Everyone,

It’s hard for me to believe, but it has been eight weeks since Kim has had her operation and I am so relieved to be on this side of the surgery. If I would have known how well she would be doing after this operation, I sure wouldn’t have been so freaked out beforehand!

She has been back to school full-time for almost three weeks now and is wearing her TLSO brace without complaint (most kids don’t need braces post-op but because of Kim’s impulsive behaviors due to her autism it was recommended). Initially I was concerned about her having to wear a brace but now I am very relieved because it is really hard to keep her “reined in” and the brace provides protection to her healing spine. One of Kim’s developmental issues is that she doesn’t have a lot of common sense and doesn’t understand why she can’t jump, run, etc. so the brace helps to slow her down.

For all of you folks who are about to have the surgery performed on your kids or on yourself my only suggestions are:

- Make sure you are comfortable with your surgeon. If you feel you have picked an excellent surgeon that will go a long way to keeping you relaxed about the surgery and during the recuperation period.

- Never be afraid to ask questions. A good surgeon understands and is compassionate that while this is routine for him/her, this is new territory for you.

- Have friends or family lined up that can help during the first few weeks after surgery. My mother helped for the two weeks after Kim came home; actually she took care of me so I could take care of Kim!

- Don’t worry if blood from the blood bank is used. Initially, I was really disappointed that Kim couldn’t donate her own blood; in a nutshell, the people at the blood donation center didn’t want to deal with an autistic person. However, when I researched how carefully blood is screened and how extremely remote the risk of adverse effects from donor blood is, I figured it’s not worth the worry. On the upside she wasn’t anemic going into surgery, she did receive one unit of blood during the operation and I don't believe she was anemic after the surgery either (at least no one told me she was and her color was very good).

- Remember that everyone heals differently and the only correct recovery timeline is the one that works for the surgical patient. When we start comparing how fast Person A recovers versus Person B, it serves no purpose and can cause distress if someone feels they are not healing as fast as they should.

It’s been quite a journey, but I have never been alone thanks to my cyberbuddies. I appreciate the support you have given me and I send my best wishes to all of you.
    ca-native (daughter had surgery)

I am so happy to hear that Kimmy is doing so well. I'm sure she will just continue to improve.
    2 60* curves, DDD, left trunk shift, some rotation, rib and lumbar humps, annular tear at L5-S1
    surgery 5/08 planning fusion T3 or T4 to sacrum with iliac fixation
    Dr. Anderson at Rothman Institute
    5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5
    5/23/08 fused T2-sacrum w/fixation and I'm all Titanium
    6/4/08 open all back up to clean out for Staph infection
    (left open with just clear dressing)
    6/6/08 recleaned and closed
    3/30/2012 revision planned, broken rod and removal of iliac bolts

Comment

Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear that Kimmy is doing so well. And I'm sure a lot of that has to do with your loving care.
      FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
      10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
      8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
      5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
      2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
      3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

Thanks for this update Elaine. I am so glad that Kimmy is feeling well, and that the recovery process is progressing smoothly. This is great news!!
        -Cara
        Cara, Mom to Nathan
        Diagnosed 24 deg. in July 2007, progressed to 38 deg. by August 2007
        Boston Back Brace 8/07 – 12/07
        VBS 12/10/07 Boston Children's Hospital
        Dr. Hresko
        40 Degrees before VBS
        11 Degrees now!! (2012)

Nathan's VBS Video

www.vertebralstapling.com

Comment

Yay!

Elaine-- that's wonderful news. I'm so glad it's been a fairly smooth ride during recovery for you both! Kimmy's shown her strength by adjusting fairly quickly to so much!!! I know you must be so proud of her!
          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Good to hear from you, Elaine. I'm glad Kimmy is doing well! She sounds like a truly wonderful young lady!
            mariaf305@yahoo.com
            Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
            Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Elaine,

I'm very happy to hear Kim has gone back to school and is doing well, considering. Hope she continues to do well with her recovery. I'm glad the brace is helping her. I'm sure she needs that extra "reminder". You are doing great too. Thanks for posting.
              Carmell
              mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Heya! Glad to see you around, Elaine .

So good to hear Kimmy's doing well, the brace isn't bothering her much, she's back at school, and *especially* that Mom's doing well ALSO!

It's sooooooooooo good to be on this side, huh?

Big hugs!,
                Pam
                Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                EMAIL ME

Comment

Working...
                X