Here I go with my first stupid question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here I go with my first stupid question

what does it mean when you say 'instrumentation' vs. 'non-instrumentation'? Does it have something to do with using rods?

See I told you I'm very new to this stuff and have no clue.

Thanks,
    Debbe

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

I am pretty sure that non-instrumentation means no rods or screws are used and instrumentation is with rod (s) and screws.

Sue

Comment

Originally posted by suzyjay
      I am pretty sure that non-instrumentation means no rods or screws are used and instrumentation is with rod (s) and screws.

Sue
      Ok, but I don't get it? How can they straighten you without any of this stuff?

Comment

Debbe, not sure in what context you are asking the question, but I think instrumentation is with rods, screws, or some type of "hardware." Non-instrumentation means more non invasive procedures such as physical therapy, bracing, trigger injections, etc...again, not sure what context you are asking question, but this might give some furhter insight.

LJ

Comment

Also, if you're reading about someone's fusion surgery from a long time ago, they straightened you and then you were in a body cast, on your back, for a year, to "hold" it in place... it didn't work so well I think. Some of those people will say "spinal fusion with no instrumentation"...
          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Originally posted by Susie*Bee
            Also, if you're reading about someone's fusion surgery from a long time ago, they straightened you and then you were in a body cast, on your back, for a year, to "hold" it in place... it didn't work so well I think. Some of those people will say "spinal fusion with no instrumentation"...
            Ok I think that's what I read, so I didn't understand how it was fusion without all the hardware.

Like I said I'm sure this won't be my last stupid question.

Thanks Everyone,
            Debbe

Comment

Debbe--no question is stupid. Remember that, and ask away.

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Originally posted by debbei
                Ok I think that's what I read, so I didn't understand how it was fusion without all the hardware.

Like I said I'm sure this won't be my last stupid question.

Thanks Everyone,
                Debbe
                After the spine fuses, the hardware isn't doing anything and can come out. Of course most folks don't elect another surgery just to remove it but it isn't doing anything in a successful fusion.
                Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Sharon--that's true, but usually when someone says they had spinal fusion without instrumentation, there was never any hardware involved. Karen Ocker had it that way-- and a friend of mine did too. It was just prior to the Harrington rod era...

Corrected to 15°

Comment

In 1966, I had fusions from T4 to T12 without instrumentation. And YES, I spent a year in a plaster body cast. During the first three months, I had to lay immobilized and then I had to figure out how to walk again since physical therapy wasn't wide-spread in that era.
                    Ginger Woolley

Oct 2018, L3 - S1, Anterior & Posterior, Dr Sigurd Berven, UCSF, San Francisco
                    May 2008, T4 - L3, Dr. Ohenaba Boachie, Hospital for Special Surgery, NYC
                    Sept 1967, T4 - T 11, without instrumentation, Dr Thomas Brown, Stanford

Comment

Working...
                    X