PDA

View Full Version : Here I go with my first stupid question

debbei
05-09-2008, 01:10 PM
what does it mean when you say 'instrumentation' vs. 'non-instrumentation'? Does it have something to do with using rods?

See I told you I'm very new to this stuff and have no clue.

Thanks,
Debbe

suzyjay
05-09-2008, 01:18 PM
I am pretty sure that non-instrumentation means no rods or screws are used and instrumentation is with rod (s) and screws.

Sue

debbei
05-09-2008, 01:24 PM
I am pretty sure that non-instrumentation means no rods or screws are used and instrumentation is with rod (s) and screws.

Sue

Ok, but I don't get it? How can they straighten you without any of this stuff?

dealornodeal
05-09-2008, 03:35 PM
Debbe, not sure in what context you are asking the question, but I think instrumentation is with rods, screws, or some type of "hardware." Non-instrumentation means more non invasive procedures such as physical therapy, bracing, trigger injections, etc...again, not sure what context you are asking question, but this might give some furhter insight.

LJ

Susie*Bee
05-09-2008, 03:49 PM
Also, if you're reading about someone's fusion surgery from a long time ago, they straightened you and then you were in a body cast, on your back, for a year, to "hold" it in place... it didn't work so well I think. Some of those people will say "spinal fusion with no instrumentation"...

debbei
05-09-2008, 04:58 PM
Also, if you're reading about someone's fusion surgery from a long time ago, they straightened you and then you were in a body cast, on your back, for a year, to "hold" it in place... it didn't work so well I think. Some of those people will say "spinal fusion with no instrumentation"...

Ok I think that's what I read, so I didn't understand how it was fusion without all the hardware.

Like I said :) I'm sure this won't be my last stupid question.

Thanks Everyone,
Debbe

Susie*Bee
05-09-2008, 05:20 PM
Debbe--no question is stupid. Remember that, and ask away. ;)

Pooka1
05-09-2008, 05:55 PM
Ok I think that's what I read, so I didn't understand how it was fusion without all the hardware.

Like I said :) I'm sure this won't be my last stupid question.

Thanks Everyone,
Debbe

After the spine fuses, the hardware isn't doing anything and can come out. Of course most folks don't elect another surgery just to remove it but it isn't doing anything in a successful fusion.

Susie*Bee
05-09-2008, 07:10 PM
Sharon--that's true, but usually when someone says they had spinal fusion without instrumentation, there was never any hardware involved. Karen Ocker had it that way-- and a friend of mine did too. It was just prior to the Harrington rod era...

Ginger W.
05-09-2008, 08:52 PM
In 1966, I had fusions from T4 to T12 without instrumentation. And YES, I spent a year in a plaster body cast. During the first three months, I had to lay immobilized and then I had to figure out how to walk again since physical therapy wasn't wide-spread in that era.