Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• soft fusion as opposed to hard?

Hi
    Just have a question someone might be able to answer.
    Has anyone here had a "soft" fusion eg: Dynesys stabilisation instead of a regular "solid" fusion? It's probably not considered appropriate in most cases as rods are not used, just screws with spacers down the side of the vertebrae so movement is not entirely restricted.
    I'm having this procedure in 3 weeks at L4/5 & L5/S1 combined with a laminectomy for a herniation. (L5/S1) I also have a previous solid fusion at L3/4.
    My thoracolumbar curve is only 35* but most of my pain is from DDD in the lumbar and cervical spine. My surgeon doesn't want to solid fuse yet as he managed to get my lordosis back with the last surgery and doesn't want to jeopardise that.
    Any thoughts?

Hi Cathy. The first surgeon I saw wanted to use the Dynesis system for my DDD and lumbar stenosis. Once I began the journey of getting (5) 'second opinions', one of the more experienced scoliosis surgeons said (I'm quoting) "using the Dynesis system for your surgery would be like pissing in the ocean".

In other words, it would be useless (for me).

My curve is only 40 which is not necessarily an indication that fusion surgery is required, but the fact that I have DDD from L1 to sacrum and pain down both legs is.

Dynesis may be fine for you, but I would STRONGLY recommend more opinions. Once they go in and operate, I want to make sure it is the LAST time and that the surgery will accomplish my goals.

Just my two cents - good luck to you!
    Susan
    XLIF/Posterior Surgery 6/16/08. Fused T10-L5 in CA by Dr. Michael Kropf (don't go there unless it's simple, I hear he's at Cedar's now). Very deformed, had revision w/5 PSO's, rods from T-3 to sacrum including iliac screws, all posterior, 5/23/16 with Dr. Purnendu Gupta of Chicago.

Owner of Chachi the Chihuahua, So Cal born and bred, now a resident of 'Chicagoland' Illinois. Uh, dislike it here....thank God there was ONE excellent spine surgeon in this area.

Comment

Working...
    X