I'm back - with great news!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm back - with great news!

For those of you who have been around for more than 3 years, you'll remember me - for those of you who are new, "HI!"

I wanted to let you all know that I had a happy, healthy baby girl on Feb 1st of this year....3 years to the day after my spinal fusion! Madelynn is the most amazing, wonderful, beautiful thing to ever happen to me!

We had a bit of a scare because she was born with a sacral dimple. An ultrasound showed an issue of some sort, but they pedi wasn't sure what so he ordered an MRI. Some of you might recall that we lost our first daughter to anencephaly, a neural tube defect, so between that and my history of scoliosis, we were of course very concerned. We had to wait 4 wks for the MRI...it was the longest 4 wks of my life! The MRI showed that there is a small space that runs from just under the surface of Madelynn's skin to her tailbone area, but thankfully, her spinal cord and column are not affected and she should have no affects from it.

I had my 3 year check-up for my fusion in early April and the x-rays looked great! The pregnancy and delivery (I pushed for 90 mins before having to have a c-section because Madelynn was facing my belly instead of my back) had no affect on my fusion! I have had some SI Joint pain, but I'm seeing an Oesteopathic Dr for that and it's doing better with each visit.

All-in-all, I couldn't have asked for a better pregnancy or baby. She is a very content, happy baby who eats well and sleeps even better! (8pm-6am!)

How exciting!

Heidi-- that is such wonderful news!!! I'm so glad everything went well. I can practically feel the "glow" of motherhood in the words you wrote. I'm thrilled for you.

Keep us posted. Hugs to both of you...
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

That's wonderful, Heidi -- congratulations!
      Chris
      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Heidi,
        Thank you for posting such good news. Congratulations!
        As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

Heidi,

Congratulations!!!!!!!!! Enjoy every day with your little one, they grow up really fast!!!!
          Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
          Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
          Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
          Fused T2 to sacrum
          June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
          MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Heidi,

OMG! I was wondering how you were doing. I am so glad you checked in here, it has been AWHILE! I am always one to think if we aren't hearing from people post-op they are out enjoying their life. I am so glad to hear everything well with your pregnancy and birth of Madelynn. Is wonderful to share your happiness with you. You deserve a good baby after all you have been through. Best wishes, Suzy

Comment

Hi Heidi! That is great news!!!! I am sooooo happy for you! I'm so glad your daughter is alright. Actually my oldest niece was born with a sort of a dimple on the bottom of her back, but was fine...it wasn't spina bifida or anything.

So little Madelynn sleeps through the night...that's amazing. You must be glad to be sleeping more now. Those first three months are crazy!

I am so happy you have a healthy baby! Congrats and stay in touch!

Heather
              Heather
              Surgery date: April 20, 2004
              Anterior/posterior surgery
              Fused T-11 to L-5
              Pre op lumbar curve: 70 degrees, thoracic curve: 42 degrees
              Post op lumbar curve: 19 degrees, thoracic curve: 18
              Surgeon: Dr. Boachie-Adjei
              Had successful pregnancy and birth 2 years post-op

Comment

Heidi,

Congratulations on the birth of your baby girl! I am so happy for you! Feb. 1st is a very special day for you indeed. Best wishes to you, enjoy every moment with your baby, they do grow up so fast...

Take care,
                Renee

Comment

Working...
                X