Yay! One year anniversary!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yay! One year anniversary!

Hey everyone, this is my one year anniversary!!! Hubby and I celebrated with a steak dinner at a nice restaurant-- just got home a little bit ago.

All day I kept thinking how long I'd been in surgery last year on May 4th-- I know some of you had longer surgeries than I did, but 8 hours is still a really long time when you think about it-- when it's total surgery time, not prep or recovery... and I am so grateful to have this first year of recovery behind me now. I know I still have some way to go in the recovery, but really feel this was a good thing and I've made great strides.

That said, I think I must have strained something yesterday, but am not sure what! It feels sort of like someone is pressing their shoe between my shoulder blades... not hard, but still there. So we probably never end this guessing game of "oh no, has something happened this time?" And I try to be soooo careful...

I'd like to thank all of you for your help and encouragement and mostly for your friendship since I found the forum last October. You are wonderful, and I thank the Lord for bringing you into my life. Big hugs!!!
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Congratulations Susie*Bee!

What an accomplishment - one year out and doing so well. I can say that I so very much appreciate your contributions here, but especially your positive attitude and encouragement. I haven't been here long, but I must say one thing:

THANK YOU!
    Susan
    XLIF/Posterior Surgery 6/16/08. Fused T10-L5 in CA by Dr. Michael Kropf (don't go there unless it's simple, I hear he's at Cedar's now). Very deformed, had revision w/5 PSO's, rods from T-3 to sacrum including iliac screws, all posterior, 5/23/16 with Dr. Purnendu Gupta of Chicago.

Owner of Chachi the Chihuahua, So Cal born and bred, now a resident of 'Chicagoland' Illinois. Uh, dislike it here....thank God there was ONE excellent spine surgeon in this area.

Comment

Congratulations!

Very large accomplishment!

I, too, appreciate all your efforts to help others on this forum.

Best regards,
      sharon
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Susie*Bee
        All day I kept thinking how long I'd been in surgery last year on May 4th-- I know some of you had longer surgeries than I did, but 8 hours is still a really long time when you think about it-- when it's total surgery time, not prep or recovery
        I was just doing some dishes (does anybody else do their BIG thinking while doing dishes?) and was thinking about what you said...recalling the hours you were in surgery. If it were me, I too would be thinking: "okay, exactly one year ago today, I was being prepped for surgery". "Hm, exactly one year ago today, I was going under". "Exactly one year ago today, I was under for 4 hours - did the surgeon have all the screws inserted yet?" "Exactly one year ago today I was one hour from waking up - was the surgeon double checking all the rods?" "Exactly one year ago today, I was being awakened from anesthesia"......

I think too much sometimes while doing dishes - fortunately, I can't stand long enough to think TOO much!
        Susan
        XLIF/Posterior Surgery 6/16/08. Fused T10-L5 in CA by Dr. Michael Kropf (don't go there unless it's simple, I hear he's at Cedar's now). Very deformed, had revision w/5 PSO's, rods from T-3 to sacrum including iliac screws, all posterior, 5/23/16 with Dr. Purnendu Gupta of Chicago.

Owner of Chachi the Chihuahua, So Cal born and bred, now a resident of 'Chicagoland' Illinois. Uh, dislike it here....thank God there was ONE excellent spine surgeon in this area.

Comment

yep...

I always did/do a lot of thinking while doing dishes too. What you thought is just what I did today... I even turned to my hubby at one point and said, "they were waking me up about now to see if I could wiggle my feet ok..." (they do that about mid-way through, to double check, even though they are monitoring everything so carefully...) and I do remember moving my feet up and down really hard so they could tell. I didn't want any doubt in their minds... Don't worry-- you don't feel anything and probably most people don't remember that part anyway.
          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Congratulations, Susie -- upward and onward!!!
            Chris
            A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
            Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
            Post-op curve: 12 degrees
            Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

loves to skate

Good for you Susie*Bee. You've come a long way to get where you are today. Isn't it wonderful to know that God gives us the strength to do the impossible. What a journey life is. It is these difficult challenges that God can use to help us and mold us to be more like Him. You are a reflection of God's love and comfort as you have loved and comforted many of us. God Bless you.
              Sally
              Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
              Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
              Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
              Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
              New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
              Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Thank you!

Thank you for sharing and being such a great source of support and inspiration to all of us during your and our hard times, I hope that I can help as many people as you have.

Congrats on this big milestone, a year of anything is a long time (I've been married for 6 months...) and you certainly seem to have made the most of it.
                Keep up the good work and positive attitude! I know it helps all of us.

Rosie
                2001 T-sp 58* L-sp 55*
                2007 T-sp 64* L-sp 67*
                Surgery Dec. 21 2007
                Posterior fusion T3 to L3

Comment

Congratulations on your accomplishment of one year. I bet it doesn't seem like it was already a year ago. Time goes by so fast. I hope you continue to do well in your journey to recovery.
                  Jamie Age 29
                  Mother to a 6 year old daughter & an 11 month old baby boy.

2000 Curves - 28/40/32
                  2008 Curves - 39/63/44
                  Surgery Date - 3/25/08
                  T4 - L1

63 degrees corrected to 15 degrees !

Comment

YAY!!! congrats! thats so exciting! i'm sorry to hear you strained something. i havent gone through this yet. just another week left. but i can only imagine! but congrats! we're so happy for you!!!
                    http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w...8506/back2.jpg before 62.9*
                    http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w...be_8506/x5.jpg after 12.0*!!!!!!!! after surgery was a perfect 0*.
                    http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w...abe_8506/5.jpg before (outside pic)
                    http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w...be_8506/a1.jpg after not crooked just sunscreen

Comment

I'm running late!

Go check your email then let us know how it turned out!
                      C&C

Comment

Susie,

Congrats, my one year will be on the 23, its hard to beleave what we have been through in the last year. I hope you continue to improve and life gets a little easier.
                        Patty 51 years old
                        Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
                        Posterior T3- L4
                        Pre surgery curves
                        T-53degrees
                        L-38degrees
                        and a severe side shift to the right.
                        Post surgery curves
                        Less than 10 degrees
                        Surgery April, 2006
                        C4 - C6

Comment

Hi Susie,

You were such a great help to me the day of Annessa's op with all your PM's full of advice and support. Well done on this momentous anniversary!

Anne
                          Mum to Annessa, age 15
                          53 degree thoracic curve down to 10 degrees.
                          Date of surgery: 7th Feb 2008
                          Edinburgh, Sick Kids
                          Fused T4 - L1

Comment

Contratulations!

Congratulations on your one year anniversary and on your personal recovery. Hope your new ache is a very minor issue. Thank you so much for all you give to us on the forum: the information, encouragement and caring. And while you are so busy giving to others, you are also dealing with your own recovery issues. You are such a lovely, generous spirit. Take good care.
                            Rita

Comment

Happy Anniversary!

Dear Susie*Bee,

Congratulations on reaching your One-Year Anniversary! I hope the next year brings you even more physical improvement and increased opportunities to do more of the things that give you pleasure!

Enjoy,
                              Linda W.
                              Linda
                              Two-stage A/P fusion T6-S1 with lumbar implants June 12 & June 27, 2007 at age 57
                              S curve 75+ degrees with kyphosis
                              Now 45 degrees and standing 3 inches taller!
                              Dr. Frank Rand, New England Baptist Hospital, Boston

Comment

Working...
                              X