PDA

View Full Version : Yay! One year anniversary!

Susie*Bee
05-04-2008, 05:07 PM
Hey everyone, this is my one year anniversary!!! Hubby and I celebrated with a steak dinner at a nice restaurant-- just got home a little bit ago.

All day I kept thinking how long I'd been in surgery last year on May 4th-- I know some of you had longer surgeries than I did, but 8 hours is still a really long time when you think about it-- when it's total surgery time, not prep or recovery... and I am so grateful to have this first year of recovery behind me now. I know I still have some way to go in the recovery, but really feel this was a good thing and I've made great strides.

That said, I think I must have strained something yesterday, but am not sure what! It feels sort of like someone is pressing their shoe between my shoulder blades... not hard, but still there. So we probably never end this guessing game of "oh no, has something happened this time?" :eek: And I try to be soooo careful...

I'd like to thank all of you for your help and encouragement and mostly for your friendship since I found the forum last October. You are wonderful, and I thank the Lord for bringing you into my life. Big hugs!!! :)

Chihuahua Mama
05-04-2008, 05:26 PM
What an accomplishment - one year out and doing so well. I can say that I so very much appreciate your contributions here, but especially your positive attitude and encouragement. I haven't been here long, but I must say one thing:

THANK YOU!

Pooka1
05-04-2008, 05:29 PM
Very large accomplishment!

I, too, appreciate all your efforts to help others on this forum.

Best regards,
sharon

Chihuahua Mama
05-04-2008, 06:04 PM
All day I kept thinking how long I'd been in surgery last year on May 4th-- I know some of you had longer surgeries than I did, but 8 hours is still a really long time when you think about it-- when it's total surgery time, not prep or recovery

I was just doing some dishes (does anybody else do their BIG thinking while doing dishes?) and was thinking about what you said...recalling the hours you were in surgery. If it were me, I too would be thinking: "okay, exactly one year ago today, I was being prepped for surgery". "Hm, exactly one year ago today, I was going under". "Exactly one year ago today, I was under for 4 hours - did the surgeon have all the screws inserted yet?" "Exactly one year ago today I was one hour from waking up - was the surgeon double checking all the rods?" "Exactly one year ago today, I was being awakened from anesthesia"......

I think too much sometimes while doing dishes - fortunately, I can't stand long enough to think TOO much! :p

Susie*Bee
05-04-2008, 06:11 PM
I always did/do a lot of thinking while doing dishes too. What you thought is just what I did today... :rolleyes: I even turned to my hubby at one point and said, "they were waking me up about now to see if I could wiggle my feet ok..." (they do that about mid-way through, to double check, even though they are monitoring everything so carefully...) and I do remember moving my feet up and down really hard so they could tell. I didn't want any doubt in their minds... :rolleyes: Don't worry-- you don't feel anything and probably most people don't remember that part anyway.

Singer
05-04-2008, 07:07 PM
Congratulations, Susie -- upward and onward!!!

loves to skate
05-04-2008, 07:31 PM
Good for you Susie*Bee. You've come a long way to get where you are today. Isn't it wonderful to know that God gives us the strength to do the impossible. What a journey life is. It is these difficult challenges that God can use to help us and mold us to be more like Him. You are a reflection of God's love and comfort as you have loved and comforted many of us. God Bless you. :)
Sally

rosie1108
05-04-2008, 08:03 PM
Thank you for sharing and being such a great source of support and inspiration to all of us during your and our hard times, I hope that I can help as many people as you have.

Congrats on this big milestone, a year of anything is a long time (I've been married for 6 months...) and you certainly seem to have made the most of it.
Keep up the good work and positive attitude! I know it helps all of us.

Rosie

JamieR
05-04-2008, 08:06 PM
Congratulations on your accomplishment of one year. I bet it doesn't seem like it was already a year ago. Time goes by so fast. I hope you continue to do well in your journey to recovery.

TnGirl07
05-04-2008, 08:22 PM
YAY!!! congrats! thats so exciting! i'm sorry to hear you strained something. i havent gone through this yet. just another week left. but i can only imagine! but congrats! we're so happy for you!!!

myachingback
05-04-2008, 08:56 PM
Go check your email then let us know how it turned out!
C&C

sccrm08
05-04-2008, 09:46 PM
Susie,

Congrats, my one year will be on the 23, its hard to beleave what we have been through in the last year. I hope you continue to improve and life gets a little easier.

Neesasmum
05-05-2008, 04:18 AM
Hi Susie,

You were such a great help to me the day of Annessa's op with all your PM's full of advice and support. Well done on this momentous anniversary!

Anne

Wishing
05-05-2008, 07:01 AM
Congratulations on your one year anniversary and on your personal recovery. Hope your new ache is a very minor issue. Thank you so much for all you give to us on the forum: the information, encouragement and caring. And while you are so busy giving to others, you are also dealing with your own recovery issues. You are such a lovely, generous spirit. Take good care.
Rita

Linda W
05-05-2008, 08:34 AM
Dear Susie*Bee,

Congratulations on reaching your One-Year Anniversary! I hope the next year brings you even more physical improvement and increased opportunities to do more of the things that give you pleasure!

Enjoy,
Linda W.

Susie*Bee
05-05-2008, 08:36 AM
Thank you, all, for your well wishes and very generous thoughts. I am glad if the Lord can use me here on the forum as encouragement to others. I just know that you have all enriched my life and my walk through this scoli journey, and you are the blessing to me...

Yes, we've been through a lot this year, Patty... we and so many others. It feels good to have one year under my belt, but oh, there's a lot more ahead till I feel "recovered"! And as I've said before, I think it's more like "changed"-- but for the better. We have to be adapters, don't we?! I discovered the other night that I can't bend over the kitchen table to do a poster... unless I do it differently than before. I think that might be how I strained my back, although I tried to turn the poster and work just close to me... I don't know. Some of us have such long fusions!!! :eek:

C&C--I loved the ecard! I could "almost" smell the roses! ;)

Big hugs and my best to all of you-- gotta run now-- off to PT. :)

PS--I think I'll bookmark this page for those "down" days when you get to feeling discouraged. These caring thoughts are enough to buoy anyone up!!! Thanks again!

abhbarry
05-05-2008, 08:46 AM
Congratulations Susie! I'm so happy for you (and right behind you). I'm glad to hear you doing so well and I also want to thank you for all the scoli friendship and support over this past year. Go celebrate some more!
Best,
Anya

CStadler
05-05-2008, 10:44 AM
Hi Susie

I too wanted to congratulate you on your one year!!

Nice to see that you are still on the forum offering help and support to others even though the worst is over for you.

Hope the dinner out was wonderful.

Hugs, Carol

CHRIS WBS
05-05-2008, 11:52 AM
You have graced this forum with your presence from the start and are so helpful and caring to so many. Congratulations, Susie!

Chris

vndy
05-05-2008, 01:55 PM
Susie,

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you and proud of you. Like others have said, your constant support, positive attitude, and seemingly endless patience has been so helpful to so many of us, myself included!

Thank you :)

geo
05-05-2008, 07:21 PM
Yeah! It sort of flies, doesn't it? I swear I just barely joined this forum, and you and others are talking about it being a year already! It's not easy, but it's not impossible, and I hope all the future surgery folks can read threads like this and feel the support of this site, and of people like you.
Congratulations!!!

Janet
05-05-2008, 08:40 PM
Susie,
Congratulations on the big milestone. I'm beginning to realize that the encouragement and support one receives post-op is possibly even more valuable than the pre-op kindnesses. I have relied on this forum and the comments of the post-op's to help me get through some really difficult days - and you are always here!!! Your positive attitude and willingness to share is a blessing to all who read your posts. Thank you for contributing even though you are well past the early recovery stages.

trulyaries
05-05-2008, 10:03 PM
Hey, Susie -
I'll add my congrats and thanks to this long list. It's great that you are doing so well and still being of such help to others. Kudos!

Sharshe
05-06-2008, 02:40 PM
Hey Susie! Congrats on the one year mark!