Endoscopic Scoliosis Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Endoscopic Scoliosis Surgery

Has anyone had surgical correction of a thoracic curve using the minimally invasive method with an endoscope? We're investigating all the options for our daughter and would like feedback on this method and possible surgeons.

Thanks,

Katie's Dad

Endoscopic surgery is being done for a select few patients who have the right criteria. The curve must be a thoracic curve (not lumbar or cervical) and must be within a certain range of degree of severity. There are varying types of instrumentation used with endoscopic surgery. Each surgeon using endoscopic surgery has their own preferences and detailed criteria. There is some detailed discussion on endoscopic surgery on this website, and probably others:

http://www.iscoliosis.com

Good luck with your research.
    Carmell
    mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Endoscopic Surgeon

The surgeon I see in St. Louis, Mo. by the name of Dr. Lawrence Lenke from Barnes Jewish Hospital (314) 747-2500 does this type of surgery. I am not sure of the criteria you have to meet, but I would give the office a call and find out if you have this option for treatment. I have had surgery in the past by Dr. Lenke and he is wonderful. He is also on staff at the Shriners Hospital in St. Louis and a world renoun surgeon and author of many articles and books.

He also is one of the top docs for the sports teams in St. Louis. He is doing my 3rd surgery in early August this year. Just can't get enough I guess ha ha.

Keep up your spirits, you really can lead a normal life with scoliosis and instrumentation. I was 16 when I had my first surgery and 38 for my revision and now at 40 just have to have a few iliac screws removed nothing major.

Let me know how it goes.

Dawn

Comment

We visited Dr. Lonner in New York to investigate the possibility of having the thoracoscopic anterior release and fusion to correct our daughter's thoracic curve, but unfortunately our daughter's thoracic kyphosis was at the upper end of the normal range so she was not a candidate for this type of surgery. There is much information on the web pertaining to this method. Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis published by the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons has a good chapter on thoroscopic methods written by Peter Newton and Randal Betz. The Shriner's Hospital in Philadelphia often performs this newer technique, so perhaps your local Shriner's does too. I believe Peter Newton is on the west coast along with Dr. Picetti who has many articles published on Spineuniverse.

Good Luck,
        Mark
        Mark & Jane, Parents of Lisa
        Daughter 15 years old
        Posterior surgery was in October, 2005, with Dr. Paul Sponseller at Johns Hopkins. Fused T2-L2 w/4 rib thoracoplasty. Rib and local autograft. All pedicle screw and stainless construct.
        Before: PT – 33, MT – 63, L – 32, kyphosis – 46.
        After: PT – 7, MT – 4, L – 15, kyphosis – 32.

Comment

Dr. Peter Newton is my son's doctor and will be doing his surgery. He is located in San Diego and is affiliated with Children's Hospital and Univ. of Ca. San Diego, where I believe he is assistant prof. & director of pediatric orthopedics. He is a wonderful doctor. Here is address & phone no. should you wish to contact him.

Dr. Peter Newton
          Childrens Hospital & Health Center
          3030 Children's Way, Suite 410
          San Diego, CA 92123
          (858)966-6789
          Fax (858)966-6706

Hope it helps,

Renee

Comment

Working...
          X