Major breakdown- HELP!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major breakdown- HELP!!!!!

OMG! I am having a major breakdown this morning. We went to New Orleans yesterday to do all the pre-op clearance, the lung dr., the bending and traction x-rays. All that stuff. The last appt. was with her surgeon. He went over all the details of the surgery. She will be fused from t-3 to t-12. Then came the time to sign the surgery consent. That was hell...... You always know in the back of yor mind what can haooen with any type of surgery, but hearing it, was not a good thing.
    I am just full of emotions right now. I am second-guessing our decision. I jsut don;t know. I mean who am I to decicde the rest of her life for her???? Because this undoubtly will be affecting her for the rest of her life.

Deep breaths and try 2 relax some.

I am second-guessing our decision. I jsut don;t know. I mean who am I to decicde the rest of her life for her????
    You are the best one to decide out of everyone on this planet. You who loves her and only want the very best for her. You do your best and let GOD take care of the rest.
    I bet she'll be just fine and kick old scoli's backside!
    Y'all are in our prayers, never underestimate the power of prayer.
    Chris

Comment

Thanks! I know in my heart it is the right thing. It is still though just so hard. She is taking it really hard, which makes it even worse on me. Idunno! I just have so many thoughts and emotions running through me right now. i don't know how to handle it!

Comment

We have not been given our surgery date yet but I as well had a break down the night before we went to see the surgeon to put her on the list. I think your feelings are normal. I feel in my heart that this is the right thing to do and Danielle wants this but it is very scary and it feels like the weight of the world is on my shoulders. I will be thinking of you. I am sure everything will be fine. I have learned throughout my husband illness to take one day at a time. Take care and best of luck
        Catherine
        Catherine
        Mom of 14 year old Danielle
        T45 degree curve Feb 2008
        T47 degree curve May 2008
        T50 degree curve Sept 2008
        Surgery Nov 24th 2008
        Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thank you! I know God will take of us and guide us, we just have to follow! that is the hard part...lol!!

Comment

I found, just by observing, that my daughters tend to pattern their approach to this business after mine.

After I became convinced that we had no better option than surgery, and after I acquainted myself with the risks, I was on board and going forward with as much confidence as I could. Two days before the surgery when it was time to sign the paper, I was fine with it though my husband volunteered to sign and I let him. I'm not sure why he did that but I was okay with it.

I wanted to get that and the surgery over with by that point. I never showed any trepidation and I never noted any trepidation on my daughter's part though I'm sure she had some.

We had a few months of digesting this and going over why the decision was a good one. By the morning of the surgery, we were all pretty calm and confident. I was very relieved to see my daughter so calm and confident.

I think the thing with us was that both my daughter and I took ownership of the situation. I realized we had no choice so I wasn't going to fight it. My daughter realized that also. That's how I would describe it.

I imagine it would be hard if you weren't sure surgery was necessary. I think I would have had trouble going in if I thought that.

Good luck.

sharon
            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Hi,

I got choked up reading your posts b/c I was once in that place and remember all too well the rollercoaster of emotions. My sons surgery was planned 5 mos. ahead of time and I cried every single day and night. Having to make these kinds of choices for ourselves is hard enough, its twice as hard when you are helping decide for someone else's life, your precious child. I questioned our decision, even though I knew in my heart we were doing what we had to do. I questioned what might happen if we put off surgery and let him make the choice as an adult. But my son understood he needed surgery and it would be in his best interest to have it sooner rather than later. The weeks leading up to surgery are the hardest, not much can be done about that. Keeping busy with preparations, friends, activities can help occupy the mind. The week before surgery I did finally feel at peace with the decision to move forward and then just wanted it to be over with and let recovery begin.

Once surgery is over and you know your child is ok the relief you feel is so immense. This is a major surgery but remember how low the complication rate is for kids - the skills of these surgeons is amazing. I wish you all well and pray for successful surgeries and recoveries.

Renee

Comment

Thanks guys! I do talk positive abotu it in front of her and try not to show any emotions other than that! She is just not ok with this, and there will be no chaging her mind. I know that she needs it, and prolonging it would be just that. i just need to learn to deal with it for me! I can;t keep going like this!!!! lol!!

Comment

I have told some other moms this, but I'm going to repeat myself. I wish I had surgery as a kid, when my parents could have been more involved. While they still did everything they could, it was hard to deal with signing those papers myself, and returning to my apartment. Please know you are doing your child a favor by making this difficult decision for them and facilitating it so they don't have to do it themselves later, when there are bills, work and other "adult-like" obligations!
                  2000 34*L/39*T
                  2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
                  (initially planned T4-L1)
                  12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

One thing I forgot to mention...

The thing that really helped me get 1000% on board was the first visit with the surgeon about two months before surgery. The guy just exuded the most self-possessed confidence I have seen since I met the head of a Fortune 100 company. Those guys are another species of human.

It felt like turning a corner after that visit. Like a load off. I just focussed on my confidence in the guy and that made the situation very tolerable. My daughter picked up my vibe that I have confidence in the guy and so she did. She really never cracked at all although I can imagine she was scared. Brave kid.

Again, good luck.

sharon
                    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

I think VNDY brought up a good point about the pros to having surgery young. I work with a girl the same age as me and she had surgery when she was 14 years old. She kept telling me how bad she felt for me going through this at this time in my life. She had her parents to help her get through surgery and really no other obligation except to get better. Me on the other hand, I have a job, financial responsibility, and a 4 year old daughter to take care of. I came through it with the help of family and friends but I can tell you it would take a lot of pressure off of me to have a speedy recovery if I didn't have all of these other things to worry about. I think you are taking action at a great time. She will do great, and so will you as a supporting parent.
                      Jamie Age 29
                      Mother to a 6 year old daughter & an 11 month old baby boy.

2000 Curves - 28/40/32
                      2008 Curves - 39/63/44
                      Surgery Date - 3/25/08
                      T4 - L1

63 degrees corrected to 15 degrees !

Comment

BE ASSURED BY THIS NEXT LINE..... You will be kicking yourself a few weeks after the surgery for putting yourself through all this stress for NOTHING!!!!

Yes, ANY surgery is a worry when it comes to our kids but she will be fine!

Elysia is now 10 weeks post op and was fused similar T5-L1 - if you look at her now you wouldn't guess in a million years she had the surgery.

I have suffered with my own grim reapers for years with Panic Attacks and Stress and I (as the mum) came through this whole affair with flying colours in the end. I am amazed at myself (and of course my wonderful child) at my own resilieance (sp?) to all of the trauma!!! The worst part of the surgery is DEFINATELY the stress before. You will see!!! I can't wait to read your posts when it's all over and weeks down the track and how wonderful your daughter is doing!!!!! You will be a convert!

Will keep you in our prayers that you can both relax and little and try to think of some fun things to do in hospital. We purchased season 8 of Everybody loves Raymond (we both LOOOVVVEEE that show) and we wouldn't watch it, saved it for when Elysia was in hosptial. We purchased a squishy ball - I purchased little teddies such as Health Angel, Get well Bear and gave all these to Elysia BEFORE surgery as well as New PJ's, dressing gowns, slippers, - it made it all a little more fun! (well as fun as a major surgery can get)

Please check out our blog if you haven't already and see the smiles on our faces for yourself.

Cyber hugs
                        Del
                        Elysia 16 in Feb 2010
                        Sydney - Australia
                        Feb 2008 Fused T5-L1 and 5 ribs removed.
                        Dec 2009 - Crankshafting
                        Dec 10 - Revision surgery...3 vertebrae taken down, hooks removed, at T11-L1 - screws inserted, fusion extended down to
                        L3 using Pedicle screws, some rib removed to try to derotate. Praying for things to settle.

Comment

Thanks guys for all the kind words. Today is a LITTLE better!! lol!!!!!! I know in the end it will all work out, but dang! It's getting to that point! lol!!!!!

Comment

It's a bumpy ride!

The time, especially those last couple weeks, leading up to surgery is really a roller coaster ride, plus! Just take it one day at a time, and try to do some fun things as well as the "busy" stuff that is needed. Get some rest too, as you'll get even busier later on. You'll make it. It's just really hard leading up to it. Part of it is because you have no control over it any of it. We all "second guess" our decisions. I know it must be terribly hard to have your sweet little daughter be the one having surgery... Once the surgery happens, you'll be able to once again take over control of things, in a sense. Then you can kick it all into high gear taking care of her. You'll see-- it will be like Del-- Aussiemom-- says. It will just continue to get better and better. In the meantime, just remind yourself of what vndy said... it's much easier on your daughter now than it would be even just a few years further down the road.

With that being said, let me also say, from a mom's heart, that I am feeling for you. I have 3 grown daughters, all of whom never took things calmly as some people's children do. And one of them was especially emotional and dramatic when things went wrong... It is like the end of the world was happening at the drop of a hat. If your daughter is dealing with this like that, then just count the days and do your best. Once the surgery happens it should hopefully be ok, but it's still possible that she'll be resentful for awhile. You just have to keep telling yourself over and over that you are doing what is best for her. Try to be upbeat and point out how great it is that she'll be taller and straighter, and not have to deal with the issues progressive scoli brings. Encourage her by telling her how much she is getting better, how you're proud of how hard she is working, etc., in those beginning days of recovery. Every little bit of encouragement will be needed. I remember how it seemed hard work just to lie in bed those first couple of days post-op. As long as you are being supportive and encouraging and loving, you'll do a wonderful job. And if it is unpleasant in these next few days leading up to the surgery, remember you're the parent, she's the child. You have to act (unfortunately!) responsibly even when/if she's being very childish. It's not easy to be a parent! If you need to vent or cry, this is a good place to share. Hang in there!
                            71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                            2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                            5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                            Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                            CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                            10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Originally posted by Susie*Bee
                              With that being said, let me also say, from a mom's heart, that I am feeling for you. I have 3 grown daughters, all of whom never took things calmly as some people's children do. And one of them was especially emotional and dramatic when things went wrong... It is like the end of the world was happening at the drop of a hat. If your daughter is dealing with this like that, then just count the days and do your best. Once the surgery happens it should hopefully be ok, but it's still possible that she'll be resentful for awhile. You just have to keep telling yourself over and over that you are doing what is best for her. Try to be upbeat and point out how great it is that she'll be taller and straighter, and not have to deal with the issues progressive scoli brings. Encourage her by telling her how much she is getting better, how you're proud of how hard she is working, etc., in those beginning days of recovery. Every little bit of encouragement will be needed. I remember how it seemed hard work just to lie in bed those first couple of days post-op. As long as you are being supportive and encouraging and loving, you'll do a wonderful job. And if it is unpleasant in these next few days leading up to the surgery, remember you're the parent, she's the child. You have to act (unfortunately!) responsibly even when/if she's being very childish. It's not easy to be a parent! If you need to vent or cry, this is a good place to share. Hang in there!

That is so her. She makes it so much harder becuase of that! Thsi weekend she is having a big thing with her friends and they are al lgoing ice skating tomorrow night. A last throwdown before the big day. sO hopefully that helps to lift her spirits.
                              My 8 year old son is also taking things hard to. All the attention has been on his sister and not him. SO I defiantely need some ono on one time with him here soon. AGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X