more pain after surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• more pain after surgery?

I realize some of you absolutley have to get surgery done for one reason or another ,but I'm just wondering how may of you that have had surgery found themselves in more pain long after your surgery,after surgery is completley healed than before surgery?I had surgery in 2005 .It helpeed tamed down my sciatica some but the pain in my back has been worse ever since

I am not that long post op, but I remember the pain was so bad before the surgery I would go out to my car after work, break down and cry and then head home. Since my first surgery I have never had that type of pain again. Yes it is sore and I know with time the pain I feel now will continue to diminish but it is nothing compared to what I used to feel. Have you checked back with your surgeon?
    CarolS
    68 degree right lumbar scoliosis, mild kyphosis at L1-2
    Anterior/Posterior Correction, T8 to Sacrum, Sept 20th, 2007
    Osteotomy March 20,2008
    Thrilled with results!

Comment

I am the same as Carol. I have just recently had surgery. I still have surgery pain, but the pain I was having before is gone so far. We will see once I am totally healed. I hope you find the answers for the cause of your pain. I am sure there is someone on this site that can help you!
      Jamie Age 29
      Mother to a 6 year old daughter & an 11 month old baby boy.

2000 Curves - 28/40/32
      2008 Curves - 39/63/44
      Surgery Date - 3/25/08
      T4 - L1

63 degrees corrected to 15 degrees !

Comment

I had pain after surgery, I found that it meant I had to strengthen my back muscles gradually, and build abdominal muscles. I learned ways to look after my back, and improve my posture, had regular PT, and did pilates and swimming. While I had a big structural problem that required a revision, doing those things made a big difference to my pain. It was really hard to summon motivation to go and work out, especially when I knew it would make me sore or if I was sore already, but it really did make a difference long-term.
        1994 curve at age 13, 70 degrees, untreated
        2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
        2007 26 degrees junctional scoliosis
        Revision surgery, 6th December 2007 T4 to L3, Posterior approach.
        msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by scoliosisguy
          I realize some of you absolutley have to get surgery done for one reason or another ,but I'm just wondering how may of you that have had surgery found themselves in more pain long after your surgery,after surgery is completley healed than before surgery?I had surgery in 2005 .It helpeed tamed down my sciatica some but the pain in my back has been worse ever since

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. I had my original surgeries 2 1/2 yrs ago, then revision surgery to remove hardware 7 months ago. Still find myself in a good bit of pain most days. x-rays show DDD and osteophytes pressing against nerves along with some arthritis....

Although it is discouraging to still have pain at this point, I try to remember that it could have been much worse if i hadn't taken action when i did.

Comment

I'm one of the ones that has more pain now than before. Now I have pain from the hardware, the nerves and structual pain along with the muscle pain.
            Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
            Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
            Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
            Fused T2 to sacrum
            June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
            MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

More Pain Now

I will say that I have more pain now than I did before for sure. Now it is not just my back but it is also my side, hip and butt also. I am alomost 2 years post op and saw my Dr. last week. He said X-rays were perfect and he referred me to a pain clinic for some injections. I have not been there yet but I am anxious to see what happens!

Stephanie
              T11 to L3
              6-05-06
              Stephanie
              T11 to L3
              1 rib removed
              June 5, 2006

Comment

Working...
              X