Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Pre-op

Just got back from my pre-op 2.30pm
    everythiing was ok they just took bloods, and ECG, and swabs just to make sure i had no infections.

Met my surgeon again, who my mum thinks is cute
    he was nice and talked to all of us not for long but he told me about the risks.

one that upset my mum was being paralized he said one in 150 ends up paralized, i have never read anyone on this forum ending up like that, do you think its that common, another risk was the bone graft not taken and the rods wearing down and the surgery having to be redone, but he said that is low that the bone graft wont take.

another little risk was them going through a nerve and a part of my body being numb he also said that is very low.

My op is 8am maybe 8.30am but around that time, and it will take 4-5 hours being fused from T4-L4 i have no idea what that meant

Angela
    xx

P.S. Yes i can dye my hair a week before
    Angela, 25 England.
    75 curve top of spine, and getting worse slowly.
    Surgery on 21st May 2008. T3-L4
    Op went well 20ish degree curve now.
    May need op in 18 months to remove rods due to pain, but might calm down when bone graft has healed, less pain now, just some shoulder blade pain, and a cold spot in middle right of back.

In re risk of paralysis (or any nerve damage), I think he might have said one in 150,000. I think I have read ~ one in 100,000 also but I'd have to check that. But I wonder if that can be right when there aren't likely that many total surgeries done??? I'll have to check. I'm sure someone here knows.

With the advent of neural monitoring during the entire procedure, the risk of paralysis is very, very low though not non-existent of course.

Good luck with your surgery.

sharon

ETA: Okay the high odds against I cited I think are for paralysis only.

See the following:

http://www.ctds.info/scoliosis_surgery_2.html

"nerve damage (neurologic injury can occur in 1% of patients, which can lead to motor weakness and, in very rare cases, paralysis)"

I was told that in some cases, if a nerve is only injured slightly or just irritated, it can repair itself. So even if nerve injury occurs, it may be only temporary.
    Last edited by Pooka1; 04-25-2008, 09:00 AM.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

When I consulted with Dr. Schafer in Chicago in January 2007, he immediately recommended surgery for me and a big one at that. He then proceeded to tell me of a recent patient of his who had a similar surgery and was paralyzed. And I asked him “permanently?” And he said yes, permanently. He then added that all the other surgeons I had consulted also had patients who were paralyzed. By that time, I had visits with Drs. Hammerberg, Gupta and Bridwell. So yes, paralysis does happen, and I think it occurs more than we realize.

And, Angela, sadly we did have a report from a member here who was paralyzed.
      http://scoliosis.org/forum/showpost....00&postcount=1

But you are young and I would not let that worry you. I think most cases of paralysis occur in people like me, old adults with big curves. You will do just fine.

Comment

Working...
      X