PDA

View Full Version : Recovery: 71 L-O-N-G Days

samsmom
04-23-2008, 11:49 AM
Just wanted to post the good news. Samantha made it through a full day at school yesterday 71 days after surgery and I could not be prouder.

Lots of posting goes on at this site as to the length of time before a child/teen returns to school. It is not about how long they are out, but that they all recover at their own pace. Every child is different. Samantha refused pain meds after about 2 weeks. She just wanted to tough it out on her own. She also refused to bring a pillow into school or sit in a special chair. She needed to recover and heal in her own way and I let her.

Parents, don't be intimidated by posts of kids who are back to school 3/4 weeks post op or be discouraged by posts where there are longer recovery times. Just know that eventually, life does indeed return to normal even though it seems like it never will.

Health and Happiness to all the parents and kids,
Michele

ca-native
04-23-2008, 02:15 PM
Parents, don't be intimidated by posts of kids who are back to school 3/4 weeks post op or be discouraged by posts where there are longer recovery times. Just know that eventually, life does indeed return to normal even though it seems like it never will.

Hello Michele,

You have written a perfect statement about recovery time. Thank you!!

Susie*Bee
04-23-2008, 02:19 PM
Yep, very much to the crux of the matter. Same with us older grown-ups, too. ;) We're making forward progress, and we'll all win the race-- because it's not based on any time-line.

sparklegirl59
04-23-2008, 04:15 PM
HI EVERYONE! congrats 2 sam! :) glad she made it thro ok. :) susie bee, WOW i looked at ur x-ray pics. some improvement! gr8 job on the doctor's part! congrats! i'm glad ur ok. :) boy, God wuz really w/u and sam both huh? that's gr8 2 hear. God bless u all and ur all in my prayers! :D

terri watkins
04-23-2008, 07:33 PM
sam'smom that was simply beautiful...

Aussiemum
04-23-2008, 09:04 PM
Yay for Sam Michele!!!!! That's great news and I couldn't agree more! I don't know how many times we have to post on this forum how every single patient is different in all aspects.
Elysia will be in for a shock soon as she return to school full force on Tuesday. She only went back to school at 7 weeks post op and then two weeks of relatively taking it easy at school and now she has just had two more weeks of school holidays. So it's full steam ahead now!!!

Cyber hugs to you both.
Del

samsmom
04-24-2008, 12:37 PM
I hope Elysa made it through the day at school. It will definitely be a day to celebrate!!! We will be cheering her on!

Best,
Michele

Neesasmum
04-25-2008, 03:26 PM
Hi Michelle,

I couldn't have put it better myself! As you know Annessa only went back to school full time last week and even then it has been difficult at times. This recovery is no walk in the park and is all about learning to listen to your body and taking each day as it comes.

All the best to everyone in their recovery process. Be kind to yourselves.
Anne