PDA

View Full Version : i HATE the brace!

sparklegirl59
04-22-2008, 05:26 PM
hi all! i just wanted 2 ask, do any of u hate ur brace and want 2 burn it when it comes off? well that's wut i'm gonna do. i'm gonna just burn it! :D i pray all the time 2. i know God will help me thro all of this tho. :) as of right now i have a boston brace, but i want a spinecor tho. i keep prayin every day tho.

smoothie305
04-23-2008, 04:24 PM
yeah i know exactly what you mean. but i dont think im gonna burn it literally - lol.

- MONICA

sparklegirl59
04-23-2008, 04:48 PM
hey monica! sup? i can't blieve ur not gonna burn it! lol. i sure AM GOING 2 BURN THAT DARN THING! i don't even want a memory of it EVER! TTYL! -val :p

spine'[chicka]
04-25-2008, 11:33 AM
i don't think i'm going to burn mine, either. even though it is a painful memory, i still think that maybe someday later in life, it'll come in handy. rethink burning it before you actually do :) there may come a time when you need it.
good luck!

jillw
04-25-2008, 12:36 PM
A friend of mine who is now an adult had scoliosis as a teenager and had to wear a milwaukee brace for 5 or 6 years. She did save one of her braces (to this day which is a good 20+ years since she stopped wearing it)...almost like a trophy to show what she is capable of. She is a teacher now and she will show it to her students to educate them on scoliosis as well. Still, it could be fun to burn... :)

spine'[chicka]
04-25-2008, 02:59 PM
good idea, i still plan on saving it, although i would want to have a bonfire and watch the plastic melt in it's fury.... :)

sparklegirl59
04-25-2008, 04:05 PM
yah it would b fun 2 burn it!!! :p

nate03
04-25-2008, 06:03 PM
Hi- This is Nate on my Mom's account.She just showed me this because I always say I am going to burn my brace

this is how i plan to get rid of my brace
1- pour gasoline on brace
2- start bonfire
3- throw in brace
4 - run it over with an atv
5- if that doesnt work throw it out the school bus window tied to string

ElleBelleCurvz
04-25-2008, 06:11 PM
baha i luv this
but i wanan keep mine :) ive still got 8 months or so (at least) but i think its a funny memory sure theres days i say "screw this" but i think its gr8 to keep it...and did you know you actually CAN donate them? Kids without the money to get a brace can take ones already molded for similar body types and they can alter it. I mean it isn't as good as having your own, but it recycles and its cheaper and better than no brace. Also it's probably pretty toxic and bad for the enviro if you burn it.but thats just me.

leokatmom
04-28-2008, 03:09 PM
Hi Val,
Like you my daughter was put in a boston brace at age 11 with 32 degree curve.Risser 0. She hated it from the start but wore it the recommended time (20 hours) almost daily. She would take it off for pe and sports practices and games.Her doctors and her dad and I allowed her to go without the brace on very special occasions.At summer camp she was allowed to just wear it to sleep although this was not often. We made many trips to the orthosist for adjustments as she had some pretty nasty red spots and sores at times. She is in her 3rd brace.She has always been very aware of fashion and how she looks especially in the brace.Even though her friends and classmates were supportive she shed many tears and would cry that she looked fat or was a freak.My heart would ache for her and sometimes she would take it out on me.The brace has ruled her life.She will be 15 in September. At her Dec 2007 appt her curves ( now 2 of them ) Were 11-T and 21-L. We went for another appt and xray last week. No change in curves or her growth . Risser-4. The dr
told her she could now wear her brace at night only and she would probably be done with it Jan 2009 less than a year from now.I tell you this long tale so you and others will see that there are also success stories with the brace. Don't give up. Bracing can and does work for some.

sparklegirl59
05-01-2008, 04:56 PM
thank u so much 4 posting that. great success story, although i hate sleeping in my brace!!! i'll def burn it tho when i'm done.

bracegirl
05-02-2008, 01:12 PM
Might I suggest an alternative to burning our braces? (cause burning them will release an AWFUL smell and harmful chemicals into the air - my brother is a pyromaniac, and once tried to burn plastic, got in big trouble) I will have had 5 braces by the end of my run, and am planning to destroy the first and last using a sledgehammer! Just as much fun, and you really can take out your anger!

happy brace demolition!
(I get to do mine in 123 days!!)

sparklegirl59
05-08-2008, 04:44 PM
hee hee. funn-e! that's also very, may i say a creative way of ruining it!!! this is wut i'll be saying when i ruin mine, "WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" yah, and it'll be THAT loud, 2! thx 4 the good laugh rebecca. it did me good. :) TTYL!!! ~*val*~

sparklegirl59
05-08-2008, 04:53 PM
2 danielle, hay girl! yah, it is good 2 be able 2 donate them. :) that's a good cause, i think. i'd wash it 1st bfor i give it away tho. :)

BraceGal
05-10-2008, 06:47 AM
My brace is like really flexible, and when im out of it im gonna take it past its limit and snap it!!!!! It will be sooooooooooo fun!!!! Mum said i can run over it with a tractor if i want to!!!!!! :D :D

The Slice
05-11-2008, 03:31 PM
Hey guys, I don't want to burst your bubble, but please think twice about the idea of actually burning your braces. There's not only an environmental issue, but with that comes the possibility of serious legal troubles if you're caught. So far as trying to smash it, I wish you the best of luck as you will find it a lot harder than you think. The plastic is tough and has enough flexibility to it that actually smashing/breaking it won't be easy. Hey, maybe if you can find a tree cutting crew around, you can ask them if you can run the brace through their shredder. :D :eek:

sparklegirl59
05-14-2008, 04:35 PM
haha... thx :D i'm "quacking up" if u catch my drift. (lol) :eek:

ElleBelleCurvz
05-14-2008, 09:12 PM
2 danielle, hay girl! yah, it is good 2 be able 2 donate them. :) that's a good cause, i think. i'd wash it 1st bfor i give it away tho. :)
haha yeah i wouldnt want to give/recieve one that was gross! xP

sparklegirl59
05-19-2008, 04:20 PM
yah! haha. it's true :) ~*val*~

ARN010
05-19-2008, 11:47 PM
hi all! i just wanted 2 ask, do any of u hate ur brace and want 2 burn it when it comes off? well that's wut i'm gonna do. i'm gonna just burn it! :D i pray all the time 2. i know God will help me thro all of this tho. :) as of right now i have a boston brace, but i want a spinecor tho. i keep prayin every day tho.

hi! i've been out of the brace for about 6 months now. but when i just
started i hated it too. it's a horrible thing because everyone pokes your
stomach and ask what it is. what's really bad is when you get to about 3rd
grade everybody starts wearing jeans, and you'll end up being the only
person who doesn't where jeans. you shouldn't wear jeans because they
don't stay up at all! i'm going to have spinal fusion the 21st, or next wedenesday. and about the brace, if people ever bug you or make fun of you
don't let them get to you. bye!

sparklegirl59
05-20-2008, 04:19 PM
thx ARNO10. much appreciated. God bless, ~*val*~

rachelroonie
05-23-2008, 04:44 PM
Hey everyone, I've had my Boston Brace now for 4 months, and I have had enough. I really do hate it. I wouldn't suggest burning it...my little brother is a pyro. and burns stuff all the time. I would not reccommend plastic. It's a big environmental issue. When I get my brace off, I plan to have a party, and with my dad's help, we are goiing to take his chain saw and cut it up into hundreds of little pieces like a jigsaw puzzle.

sparklegirl59
05-23-2008, 04:50 PM
ooh, good idea! i'm clapping! :D

MeAndPib
05-25-2008, 05:45 PM
Might I suggest an alternative to burning our braces? (cause burning them will release an AWFUL smell and harmful chemicals into the air - my brother is a pyromaniac, and once tried to burn plastic, got in big trouble) I will have had 5 braces by the end of my run, and am planning to destroy the first and last using a sledgehammer! Just as much fun, and you really can take out your anger!

happy brace demolition!
(I get to do mine in 123 days!!)

Careful, the sledgehammer might come back and hit you in the face if you have a Boston. :eek:

sparklegirl59
05-25-2008, 06:08 PM
yeah... well i'd be EXTRA careful. thanks to all the creative ideas of how to torture our braces everyone. :) i appreciate it and there ARE some creative ways to basicly kill it.

Scoliat11
05-26-2008, 11:40 PM
OMG Im 11 and I really want to burn my brace too yay But I sometimes feel so alone in it. I have one that had a leg extention. but I just had surgery on may 9 yay

I hate mine too do you swet a lot? :confused:

sparklegirl59
05-27-2008, 02:21 PM
yes i sweat in mine A TON!!! i absolutely DREAD hot days so i don't get out when it's hot. also, i sweat at nite and it REALLY sucks!

wildlifehays
06-11-2008, 09:29 PM
I got mine last friday and i'm still getting into it. I have a Boston, and i'm 12 and almost a 1/2 so not that much age difference. I do hate mine , but please, please,do not burn it cuz i am a HUGE nature nut, and my idol is Jane Goodall. I think I'm going to run it over with a tractor, but if I can drive by then, (gosh i hope i dont have it that long) I'll crush it with a car. My doctor says i can take it off when i'm done growing. I used to want to be a kid forever, but now, after I was braced, I hope that I stop tomarrow

scurve_99
06-13-2008, 08:54 AM
I would agree that destroying the brace is not the best idea. A lot of bad things could happen besides there are a number of people out there that are less fortunate that could possibly bennefit from it. I would suggest donating it either to a thrift store or a church that sends them over to third world countries. Many thrift stores sell things like this to people who may need them for various purposes and then use the money to do things like run a soup kitchen etcetera.

Ask your orthotist if they want it or can donate it for you. perhaps they can recycle the materials.

Mike

wildlifehays
06-13-2008, 05:28 PM
I would agree that destroying the brace is not the best idea. A lot of bad things could happen besides there are a number of people out there that are less fortunate that could possibly bennefit from it. I would suggest donating it either to a thrift store or a church that sends them over to third world countries. Many thrift stores sell things like this to people who may need them for various purposes and then use the money to do things like run a soup kitchen etcetera.

Ask your orthotist if they want it or can donate it for you. perhaps they can recycle the materials.

Mike

Ahh, recyclig, that is my name and game!!! That way your destroying it for a good cause, THE ENVIROMENT!!! No more taking natures resorces and just destroying them then taking more, re-use everything!!! Thanks for those wonderful ideas scurve_99!!!

badoomchick12
07-02-2008, 06:51 PM
i hate my brace alot of the time, but i also really love it. its part of my weird girl thing ive got going on. when i stop bracing, ill keep it. :)

badoomchick12
07-02-2008, 06:54 PM

my family was thinkingabout getting me a spinecor, but it only works on REALLY SKINNY people. like you have to be almost underweight because it doesnt work if you are even slightly pudgy. :mad:

HaleyMom
07-03-2008, 06:45 AM
my family was thinkingabout getting me a spinecor, but it only works on REALLY SKINNY people. like you have to be almost underweight because it doesnt work if you are even slightly pudgy. :mad:

Hi Badoomchick12
I'm not sure there's any evidence to suggest Spinecor only works on really skinny people and it's certainly not a criteria for being fitted with the brace. My daughter is in the under-weight category and the brace is working great for her but we see all shapes and sizes when we go for her brace adjustments.

One of my daughter's friends is 15, ~20ish pounds overweight? (she's a good sized girl) and has reduced her curve from 45 to 28 over the last 1.5 years. She was told that losing some weight would help her back and health in general and that she'd need to be really diligent in doing her prescribed exercises.

RugbyLaura
07-03-2008, 09:01 AM
Badoomchick12,

I have been searching the internet for you. I remember seeing an article (some time ago) that said Spinecor was proving to be an excellent option for overweight kids.

Unfortunately I can't find it now...

Will keep searching but I certainly have never heard that it is only for skinny kids!

Remaining active, supple, fit & healthy will help to maintain flexibility and strength in your spine (and the rest of your body).

sparklegirl59
08-04-2008, 11:45 AM
thank you for that rugby laura! i was glad when i read that! (i'm not overweight, but the people that are, can have a treatment for their scoliosis!)
that's pretty cool. :)

nate03
09-19-2008, 03:20 PM
Hi-
I have come up with a great plan for all of the braces when you are done with them. I am collecting the braces to be sent to Africa with Dr. Boachie's Mission group FOCOS.
If you have a brace you would like to donate please contact me at carawinslowvbs@comcast.net

For more info about FOCOS, visit www.orthofocos.org

And, thanks for the inspiration Ginger!!
-Cara

bjflynn6
09-24-2008, 10:12 PM
i hate the brace! I WANT TO MAKE A BONFIRE WITH IT AND ROSTE MARSHMELLOWS, RUN OVER IT WITH A EXCEVTER, AND USE IT AS A BASEBALL

NeighborDi
09-25-2008, 02:12 PM
All of your ideas make me feel so uncreative. I just threw mine in the trash, then couldn't believe one of my parents didn't make me take it back out. It does make me feel much better to think of how the garbage truck must have smashed the heck out of it.

I was 10 when I started wearing it. I was told I'd need to wear one for 4 years. At almost 17, I simply refused to wear it any more.

Like you, I hated it. I had a Milwaukee brace for the first four years and a Boston brace for the last 2 and a half years. I did not get any days or nights out of it.:eek: If your parents or doctor let you take time out of it, you're really lucky.

The Milwaukee brace was leather and metal. It snagged my hair, and was very noticeable in public. The Boston brace was hard plastic and metal. It wasn't as noticeable. They were both sweaty-hot. I always wore a long stretchy undershirt underneath. That helped absorb the sweat AND cut down on sore spots.

I had my first real taste of freedom when the trash men took it away without any complaints from my parents. I think it's because they knew everything I'd been through because of it.

No matter what form of destruction or gift-giving you do with your brace, you will feel the same sense of freedom the day you realize you will never have to wear it again. Praise God!

ARN010
11-01-2008, 10:57 PM

hi, i had my brace when i was 6 until i was 9, then i had to get a fusion. it was so embarasing!!!!!!!!!!!!! because everyone in the entire class would be wearing jeans and i wouldn't be able to which sucked!!!!!!!!!!! plus it hurts really bad and leaves marks that are red and burn all over your skin!!!!!!!

~ScoliosisGurl~
11-01-2008, 11:02 PM
lol now you might wanna burn it but later you might not want to

borngmama
12-22-2008, 08:26 AM
hi, i had my brace when i was 6 until i was 9, then i had to get a fusion. it was so embarasing!!!!!!!!!!!!! because everyone in the entire class would be wearing jeans and i wouldn't be able to which sucked!!!!!!!!!!! plus it hurts really bad and leaves marks that are red and burn all over your skin!!!!!!!

wear a shirt under you brace so it won't hurt u skin.

schapa2
01-19-2009, 01:21 AM
Why in the world would you want to burn it? It brings back childhood memories (although bad). You should donate it or keep it as an "I've been through hell and survived" trophy!:)

dancer4life
02-04-2009, 06:39 PM
i know it hurts im going through the same thing but the brace might come in handy because if a burglar comes into the house you can hit them and knock them out with it

asccbodypro
02-05-2009, 11:52 AM
Hang in there everyone.......I wore a brace at your age. I am having surgery in April. Doc's wanted me to have surgery instead of the brace back when I was 11 or so. Now, I am glad my parents decide against surgery, back than....I thought I would have preferred it and life would have been easier. I didn't wear my brace as I should have and wonder all the time if I had would I be where I am today. Wear it....hate it, but at least you can look back and know you did what you were supposed to do. I know that doesn't make any of you feel better right now. I'm not sure there could be anyone out there who hated their brace more than me. It made me angry, insecure and I tried to hide it every chance I got.....and lets not forget about how it tears up your skin. It was something that my parents never really talked to me about. It was easier to pretend it wasn't going on I guess. If I had a support system like this forum maybe I would have felt a little different. I am not sure. I wish you all good luck and stay strong!

Cat Eyes
03-02-2009, 07:53 AM
You know that is soo funny. Right when I got my brace I tld my mom that when i was done with it that i was gonna burn it right then, mydad loves to make fires so when I'm done with the brace im gonna just throw it into one of his fires. I'm gonna watch it burn and sing kumbiay. lolz
Any way, MY name is KAtelyn and I am 13 years ols, i don't have that large of a curve. I have one in my lower back that is 31 percent. It is now down to about 5 percent because of the brace. Although the brace is helpin me of course I still hate it to death. lolz. Just Brace yourself and get ready for the future of a straight back!!!:)

Rodsmom
03-02-2009, 10:44 AM
My daughter wore the brace 18 months. Went through 3 of them, all were wildly colored. She did not cover her brace. During the time she wore it she did a lot to educate people about scoliosis.

We took pictures of the braces when she was finished; then threw them out. (She would like to burn her algebra book though). She had reduction in the curves (wore it 23 hours a day) over her bracing time, however, she returned to her prebrace curves + a degree within four months after removing it. She had surgery a year ago to correct the top curve only.

She was very disappointed when they wanted to do surgery, however, we believe the brace kept her from getting extremely bad while she finished growing.