Savannah returns to school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Savannah returns to school

Savannah returned to school today full time, 3 weeks and 5 days after her surgery. So if we take the 3 weeks that the surgeon said or the "by 4 weeks" in the written material, this was as advertised.

She was aiming to return last Wednesday which would have been 3 weeks exactly but was facing several tests and quizzes on Wed, Thurs, and Fri which she was not prepared to take (besides math...she was completely caught up in math before returning to school and could have taken that test). So she wasn't missing much new work if she stayed home.

She has been walking at least a mile a day and sitting for hours at the computer or in a chair doing her homework for several days. She hasn't needed to nap in several days. So I think she could have returned last week but it might have been tiring.

Today, she was bright and chipper and even wanted to go to the junk, er I mean antiques store after school. She doesn't seem tired yet.

She carried a back pack... didn't want to use the rolling bag. This was worrying to me. I called the surgeon's office to ask if this was alright but didn't get a call back. She also did the stairs. Didn't want the elevator pass. Didn't want to leave class early, etc. etc. I offered all that but she declined.

She was allowed to go to the library instead of gym to catch up. But she said that she only needs one more day in the library to catch up. Apparently she did enough at home to be caught up in science and social studies. She has a bit more to do in English, though. So when she catches up with the remaining work, I suggested she just walk at least a mile in gym if she feels up to it. It may tire her too much on top of full days at school but we'll see how it goes. Gym is only every other day, though, alternating with health.

She looks completely normal. I defy anyone who didn't know she has scoliosis to notice a damn thing about her back.

If you are interested in a surgeon who can fix your kid and get them back to school as advertised, I can recommend Dr. Edmund Campion (and his resident Dr. Chandler) at UNC-Chapel Hill. Pediatric orthopedic surgeon. Campion is treating our orthopod's daughter. Now I see why our orthopod chose Campion. He's a doctor, a spine artist, and a gentleman.

If Willow progresses to needing surgery, it's going to be Campion. There is none other I would consider at this point.
    Last edited by Pooka1; 04-21-2008, 07:24 PM.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Okay I got an answer on the back pack which I will quote:

"Okay to carry 10 lbs. (use both straps on the back pack) and the limit is so her spine does not get loaded more than 10 lbs. Okay to do the stairs 4 times a day."

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

It sounds like she is doing great! Darn kids..have to be over achievers and make us old folk look bad! LOL No really it's wonderful to hear that she is doing so well. Give her a hug for me and tell her to make sure she continues to take care of herself!
      Geish
      Geish
      47 years old, dx at 13
      +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
      Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
      http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
      http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

That's awesome! Did you feel nervous about sending her back? For me, it was like sending Jamie off to kindergarten all over again!

Although she is feeling good, please don't allow her to overdo it. These kids start to feel good, and think they can go right back to conquering the world full force and tend to forget that their backs are still healing.

Mary Lou
        Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Originally posted by Geish
          It sounds like she is doing great! Darn kids..have to be over achievers and make us old folk look bad! LOL No really it's wonderful to hear that she is doing so well. Give her a hug for me and tell her to make sure she continues to take care of herself!
          Geish
          Thanks for this, Geish.

You know, one of the most consoling things about this forum for me has been the stories of the older patients, some of whom have had multiple revisions. I was telling Savannah that if something didn't work during her surgery that we could likely just have it redone in the short, middle or long term. I consider this a "cure" for the short and middle term but the long term is unknown for this surgery with this instrumentation. The revision stories largely give me hope that there will be a second, third, etc. chance if her fusion needs revision or if the fusion causes other problems in other parts of her spine down the road.

I CLING to that knowledge and appreciate the adult patients for providing it. And things will only get better and better into the future. I'm very hopeful in general about it.

Best regards,
          sharon
          Last edited by Pooka1; 04-21-2008, 07:26 PM.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Snoopy
            That's awesome! Did you feel nervous about sending her back? For me, it was like sending Jamie off to kindergarten all over again!

Although she is feeling good, please don't allow her to overdo it. These kids start to feel good, and think they can go right back to conquering the world full force and tend to forget that their backs are still healing.

Mary Lou
            Thanks, Mary Lou.

Yes I admit to being nervous. And I admit it was me who was suggesting that she not return last Wednesday when she told me about the tests/quizzes.

I was relieved to see her at the end of the day as chipper as she was. I'm guessing it was all the walking and sitting she built up to doing. She's still doing homework. I hope she doesn't have too much more... I'd like her to go to bed earlier than usual if possible.

The thing with the back pack had me scared I must say. It is damn near 10 pounds if not over that. I think using it will compromise the fusion or at least lengthen the process which just lengthens the restrictions and may even require another surgery for all I know! She has agreed to not carry so much tomorrow.

You're right about them doing too much I think. She seems so glad to be feeling better. Meanwhile I get several more grey hairs.

Thanks again.
            sharon

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Sharon,

I'm so thrilled with your news. Savannah is obviously a great girl and a credit to you! It helps to make the future a little less scarey for those of us to follow.

How's Willow doing with the brace? A friend of mine has 2 daughters with Scoli. The eldest progressed rapidly and went from small curves to 2 x 70 degrees in a matter of 3 months She had surgery last October & is now better than ever. Her whole Scoliosis journey lasted less than a year! The younger daughter looks like she may go the same way and given the experiences of many friends (gained through a UK forum) she is inclined not to brace the younger daughter & follow the same treatment for both. Surgery is not so bad after all....

Thank you for sharing.

Laura x
              UK based Mum of Imogen, 38 degree curve at 9 years old. SpineCor since 15/6/07, 31 degrees in brace.
              10th December 07 - 27 degrees, 23rd June 08 - 26 degrees, Feb 09 - 24 degrees, Aug 09 - 35 degrees, Jul 10 - 47 degrees, Dec 10 - 50+ degrees.
              Surgery due to take place early December 2011 at the RNOH, England.

Comment

Originally posted by RugbyLaura
                Sharon,
                I'm so thrilled with your news. Savannah is obviously a great girl and a credit to you! It helps to make the future a little less scarey for those of us to follow.
                Thanks Laura but it was Savannah's efforts to get better and get back to school. I just supported her decisions (when appropriate).

It's important not to get discouraged by having too small a data set. I made that mistake and I hope Savannah's journey and those of a few others can help balance some other testimonials out there. There is so much variation. But on the other hand, there must be a reason why so many scoli sites all suggest three weeks to return to school as the usual and average.

How's Willow doing with the brace?
                Willow needed several days to be able to wear the brace all night AND sleep through the night. She seems to tolerate it very well, never complains, and can put it on by herself. Even in the early days when she was sleeping downstairs with Savannah (because Savannah didn't want to be alone and I snore too much!), she always brought her brace down from her room and wore it. I never had to tell her even once.

She is determined to give this a go to avoid surgery. But when she saw Savannah's near-perfect cosmetic result, she started talking about how if the brace works, she can't have that.

A friend of mine has 2 daughters with Scoli. The eldest progressed rapidly and went from small curves to 2 x 70 degrees in a matter of 3 months She had surgery last October & is now better than ever. Her whole Scoliosis journey lasted less than a year! The younger daughter looks like she may go the same way and given the experiences of many friends (gained through a UK forum) she is inclined not to brace the younger daughter & follow the same treatment for both. Surgery is not so bad after all....

Thank you for sharing.

Laura x
                I agree with your friend. In an earlier post I was commenting on Savannah's experience with scoli being very short from diagnosis early last fall to surgery in March. She might be off restrictions a year after diagnosis. So that's a saving grace.

Also in an earlier post, I mentioned I told Willow at least a few times that were it me, I would forgo wearing a brace and just see where it went. There is a reason many orthopods don't brace. The idea of wearing a brace for years and needing surgery is too much for my brain to wrap around. And now having seen the surgery and recovery, I can say it was hard but probably better than wearing a brace for years on balance. By week two after surgery when she was feeling better and saw the results, Savannah kept saying how glad she was to have had it done. No regrets.

Best regards,
                sharon
                Last edited by Pooka1; 04-27-2008, 08:55 AM.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                X