4 1/2 months post-op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 1/2 months post-op

I am now 4 1/2 months post-op and for the most part am feeling very good. I haven't had restless leg syndrome since I started taking 600 mg gabapentin a day, so that is a real plus. I went to the gym last week to use the pool. I thought swimming would be really easy, but I almost sank to the bottom of the pool. Needless to say, I stayed really close to the edge of the pool while trying several different strokes, none of which I could do except a few strokes of the breast stroke. Yesterday I went to the pool for the third time and was able to do the breast stroke and the side stroke so they were recognizable. I guess I just need to be persistent with the swimming. At least it isn't as boring as walking on a treadmill. Finally it is warm enough to walk outside and I have been able to walk 2 miles at a pretty good pace.

I had a chance to meet and have lunch with Linda W from this forum last week and we had a really nice time. It has been a great help to me to meet and talk with someone who has gone through something similiar to what I have experienced.

Take care all and God Bless, Sally
    Last edited by loves to skate; 04-16-2008, 09:23 AM. Reason: change title
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Thanks so much for the update. I haven't scheduled my surgery yet - mostly out a very healthy respect for recovery period so I appreciate everyone that posts about their progress - especially the good results, it gives me hope. Walking 2 miles is one of my goals (I can manage about half block right now) and it's one of the main reasons I need to have this surgery - that and not being able to stand for longer than 5 minutes. Keep up the good work and best of luck!
    Susan
    XLIF/Posterior Surgery 6/16/08. Fused T10-L5 in CA by Dr. Michael Kropf (don't go there unless it's simple, I hear he's at Cedar's now). Very deformed, had revision w/5 PSO's, rods from T-3 to sacrum including iliac screws, all posterior, 5/23/16 with Dr. Purnendu Gupta of Chicago.

Owner of Chachi the Chihuahua, So Cal born and bred, now a resident of 'Chicagoland' Illinois. Uh, dislike it here....thank God there was ONE excellent spine surgeon in this area.

Comment

Yay, Sally! It sounds like you are doing really well. You've had a pretty quick recovery time, so that's great! That would be a little scary swimming and feeling like you were sinking-- but it sounds like you are easing into that ok. Yes, isn't it great now that some of us are finally getting a little bit of spring weather?!!! It is sunshiny and beautiful here today, but the wind is blowin' like a sun of a gun... I guess you can't have everything! (But that doesn't keep us from wishing!!!)

I started a new round of physical therapy today, 6 weeks' worth... for core strengthening. I'm excited to be moving on to another section of my bod, although I still need to do what I've already been working on (arms and legs). For those of you who will have longer recoveries, like me, it just keeps getting better and better. I am so much stronger than I was just a few months ago. It just takes some work and perseverance, but it is paying off. I'm so glad I had my surgery, even with the long recovery time. Chichuahua Mama, you'll do fine when it's your turn. It's rough, but well worth it. I have no regrets. Take care!
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

loves to skate

Hi Chihuahua Mama and Susie Bee,
        Thanks for your replys. Chihuahua Mama, I couldn't stand more that 5 minutes either and could barely make it to the mail box, less that 75 feet from the house, so there is no question in my mind that I wanted to have the surgery. I was not going to settle for a wheelchair. Let us know when you schedule your surgery. We'll be rooting for you. Like Susie Bee, It was a little rough at first but I have no regrets either. I figure it was rough before the surgery as I wasn't able to do anything I enjoyed and was in a great deal of pain. Susie, at what point in your recovery did you start your PT. My Doc said at 6 months to start PT. I've noticed others on this forum have started much sooner. Does it have to do with fusion to the sacrum or is it just the Doctor's preference?
        Sally
        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Sally-- I would have to say that compared with some, my doctor has been conservative with the PT. He said that, in general, walking was the best exercise to do. Other than that, when I first got home from the hospital I had a little bit of "in home" PT from a visiting therapist. Just some very basic stuff. At 6 months I got a dx for 6-8 weeks worth, for building arm and leg strength. It actually also helped my back muscles some too, because the point of attachment for many of your arm muscles is in your back. And your legs, glutes, and lower back are so connected too. At 11 months I was released to begin some core strengthening, so am back to PT for 4-6 weeks. That started this week. Even at 11 months, I'm not to do any pelvic rocking or any twisting or bending of the spine. That includes not doing even partial sit-ups (like just 1-2 inches) or anything similar. Everybody's different-- and so are our doctors!
          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Working...
          X