Pre-Op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-Op

Hi Everyone i have my pre-op next friday, i have never had a pre-op what sort of things do they do?

Angela
    Angela, 25 England.
    75 curve top of spine, and getting worse slowly.
    Surgery on 21st May 2008. T3-L4
    Op went well 20ish degree curve now.
    May need op in 18 months to remove rods due to pain, but might calm down when bone graft has healed, less pain now, just some shoulder blade pain, and a cold spot in middle right of back.

From my experience, my doctor had me get 2 new x-rays. Then he went over what would be happening on the morning of my surgery. After my appointment was finished, he told me that it would be best to have a blood sample taken just to make sure that my body was able to handle this surgery. So I went to the blood lab and had a finger prick done. And that's about it. I thought my pre-op was going to be much worse, but it seemed like a piece of cake

Good luck at your pre-op appointment and the surgery! I will definitely keep you in my prayers!
    [[hailey]]

16 years old
    Had spinal fusion surgery on Jan. 30th, 2008 with Dr. Howard King at St. Luke's Children's Hospital in Boise
    Pre surgery: 52º Lumbar curve and 25º Thoracic curve

Comment

Hi Angela...

It's different depending on your surgeon. Most likely, you'll meet with the anesthesiologist, or a nurse anesthetist. You may also have a basic physical, and potentially have blood drawn. Your surgeon will probably go over the plan with you, and let you know what to expect.

Best of luck.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Angela-- that's exciting that you're that close! I was a bit apprehensive about it too-- mine was one year ago- April 19. There have been some threads that have a lot of information in them. Linda is so right about a wide variation that surgeons/hospitals do at the pre-op visit... Here are a few links to threads that discussed this, or you can do your own search and find more.

Let us know how yours goes!

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...8356#post58356

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...1945#post51945

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...3265#post33265

Anyway, I hope that info helps you some-- but may leave you wondering even more what yours will be like! Sending cyber hugs, Susie
        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Thanks for the replies and the links where great thanks.
          One more question i think anyway, i have just got all my letters from the hospital for the pre-op and the actual op, it says i have to come off the contreceptive pill for 6 weeks before the op, has anyone else had that, if i come off it im going to have all sorts of problems cause i suffer a lot with that, thats why i was put on the pill cause i was losing to much blood and became low on iron, which i am still taking iron suppliments cause it keeps running low, so if i start bleeding before the op, i am worried that my iron will be yet again so low that i wont be able to have the op.

Angela
          xx
          Angela, 25 England.
          May need op in 18 months to remove rods due to pain, but might calm down when bone graft has healed, less pain now, just some shoulder blade pain, and a cold spot in middle right of back.

Comment

Angela-- my advice is to contact your doctor asap (since you are out of time anyway about quitting the pill--you have just a little over a month till your surgery) and ask about it. Of course, you will need to explain your extenuating circumstances. Best wishes.
            Last edited by Susie*Bee; 04-17-2008, 01:43 PM. Reason: fix typo

Corrected to 15°

Comment

When I went for my pre op, I went to my doctor's office and signed my consent forms for the surgery and we just went over the surgery again so he could explain to me what the plan was and to make sure I did not have any more questions. Then, he sent me over to the hospital, I registered, had my blood taken so they could do any blood tests that needed to be done, and then I had an EKG, I think that is what it was, so they could check my heart to see how it beats normally so they would know what to watch for during surgery. I had one more chest x-ray taken at the hospital as well. Good luck, we will be praying for you.
              Jamie Age 29
              Mother to a 6 year old daughter & an 11 month old baby boy.

2000 Curves - 28/40/32
              2008 Curves - 39/63/44
              Surgery Date - 3/25/08
              T4 - L1

63 degrees corrected to 15 degrees !

Comment

Hi Angela,

As others have said, every place and doctors are different when it comes to the procedures (pre and post-op), but here was my experience. First and foremost, once I decided that I was going to have the surgery my surgeon provided me with a binder (about 3 inches thick) for Lumbar Spinal Surgery patients. It was and has been a very valuable resource. For my pre-op I had the following tests ordered by the surgeon: all MRI's, X-Rays, CT's, etc, EKG, blood work (I too have a problem with my blood count (as a result of my blood test I had to have a transfusion 2 days prior to the surgery) The specific tests are usually ordered by your doctor. I also want to provide this checklist from the binder: At the pre-op visit make sure that you schedule your 10-day (this was when I had the stitches removed) and also your 6-week post op appointments. Start to get your "affairs" in order such as paying current bills or making sure that you have designated someone to take care of these items for you, any outside yard work or make arrangements, starting moving things to a level that will be easily accessible as you will be told time and time again that your spinal restrictions are NO BENDING, LIFTING OR TWISTING, so you want to make things as accessible for you as possible. This includes all your hygiene items and bath room arrangements. Change your linen, start preparing some meals that can be frozen and easily prepared, do whatever shopping needs to be completed. Make sure to remove any clutter or items that you may trip over. Get a few good books and a journal or a laptop and your favorite cds or an IPOD.

Just a few suggestions, I'll definitely being praying for you, it may all seem overwhelming right now, but know that it will be well and you have a great support system here. Oh also, I'd suggest picking up a copy of the David Wolpert book "Scoliosis Surgery, The Definitive Patient's Reference" (unfortunately I didn't find out about this book until after surgery, I read about it on this forum, I recently ordered it from Amazon and find it to be a wonderful resource even for post op. Also if you wear glasses or contacts, make sure you have all extras or spare pairs.

Okay, I think you've gotten quite a few other tips, let us know how the appointment turns out.

Talkin' Back,

LJ

Comment

hi thanks for that message good advice, meals aint a problem my mum is cooking my meals, because i live with my parents.
                  good side for me my next door naighbour is a nurse and has said she is going to pop in while my parents are at work, mainly to get away from her husband.

the bed is mine main worry i dont want to get home and not be able to sleep, i cant afford a new bed but have got a memory foam topper, which if it isnt any good can easily be removed.

Thanks again for all the messages and support.
                  Oh and also does anyway i am going to ask this at my pre-op, weather i can dye ny hair like on the saturday go in on the tuesday, my mum thought i might not be able to cause of chemicals and that.

Angela
                  xx
                  Angela, 25 England.

Comment

Angela--that's so great you'll be looked after so well-- home cookin' and TLC from your mum, and a nurse to check in on you. Wow! Let us know how your pre-op appt. goes. And what they say about hair dye... that's an interesting thought. I am sure I dyed mine some time that last week before my surgery.... don't have it on the calendar though, because that was back when I dyed my own (well, hubby did it for me)-- but I know I got my hair cut and also dyed my hair just before the surgery because I knew it would be a LONG while before doing it again. I think I got mine dyed again (at the beauty parlor) at around 4 or 5 weeks, but it was tough.

The David Wolpert book that LJ mentioned would be really good reading if you don't have it already-- it answers so many questions and lets you know what it'll be like-- although everyone is different. I bet your mother would like reading it as well. If you're a reader, be sure to get some books for "after"-- and some DVDs or other entertainment too.... You probably won't want to do much for a little while, but it won't be too long before you start getting bored.

Corrected to 15°

Comment

I have looked up that book can get it on play.com, so i will get it, cant till pay day though which is Friday, as i am saving most of my money for when im ill, bills etc.

Wages will go down a bit when i am on sick pay which is after 15 days.

Angela
                      x
                      Angela, 25 England.

Comment

Get some silky or satiny sleepwear to make turning over in bed easier. That was one of my biggest hurdles at first believe it or not...lol

Also those tooth cleaner thingies that you put on your finger and rub over your teeth are so much easier at first than trying to bend (BEND??!!! )and spit... and since you probably won't be eating much at least the first few days, they are good to refresh your mouth which is mostly what you need then.

Comment

Working...
                        X