21st May

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 21st May

Hi Guys i had a phone call today saying although my op is meant to be end of July beginning of August it is now 21st May i go in, so really i just want advice on what i need to prepair like bed etc, and what i need to get in...
    This is a really big shock and hasnt sunk in yet seeing i was expecting it around July August time not now...but i guess its better i will be okish for my 21st i hope in July now.

Angela
    xx
    Angela, 25 England.
    75 curve top of spine, and getting worse slowly.
    Surgery on 21st May 2008. T3-L4
    Op went well 20ish degree curve now.
    May need op in 18 months to remove rods due to pain, but might calm down when bone graft has healed, less pain now, just some shoulder blade pain, and a cold spot in middle right of back.

Gosh, Angela, big hugs to you. I thought it was big last April when I got a phone call saying my surgery was being moved up by one week.. but that's nothing like your two-month move!!!

The "up" side is that it will all be over so much sooner, so you will be well into your recovery by the time you would have just been starting it all if it hadn't been changed. So that's exciting!

Txmarinemom posted a rather extensive "to do" list awhile back. Some of the supplies you might need depend on whether your hospital supplies them to you there or not, how extensive your surgery is (as to whether you'll actually need some of them), etc. But for general info, look at Pam's (txmm) list. There are probably others as well.

The book by David Wolpert, Scoliosis Surgery: The Definitive Patient's Reference, has a section on getting your home ready, and that is pretty helpful. The raised toilet seat, reacher, and other assorted items that I used were supplied at the hospital. The shower seat we bought afterward. Some of it depends on if you'll have someone who can run out and get things for you if needed... Lots of people have said they got a hospital bed for at home. I didn't, and I did fine without. Everyone's different. Regardless, you will need plenty of extra pillows. And some loose, comfy clothes.

Do you live at home with parent(s) -- or are you on your own? Who will be helping you after the surgery? How long will your fusion be? I'm really excited for you! It's a tough surgery and a lot of hard work, but I am so happy I went through it. I keep getting better and better with time. You will do just fine! And think about how much taller and straighter you will soon be! Keep us posted on how it's going-- and ask questions. You are bound to get a lot of input! Take care!
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

thanks for that reply i live with parents which i guess is lucky because they have said that they will stop my rent for me while i recover so i wont have to worry about money, because i wont be getting sick pay for the full time im off.

I have got a memory form matters topper a few weeks ago now it makes a diff at the moment weather it will after the op i wont know. my fusion i think is just rougly down to the middle of my back he said my main appoinment with him will be in a couple weeks time, so i will hopefully now more then, we havnt really talked much about it because i just wanted him to get on with it rather then tell me all the details...but i guess you need to know....
      my parents main worry is getting up and down the stairs they dont know weather to move my bed downstairs for a few weeks what you guys think, my surgeon said i will be in hospital for around 5-6 days so within a week i will be trying to go up and down stairs do you think thats a good idea???

Angela
      xxx
      Angela, 25 England.
      75 curve top of spine, and getting worse slowly.
      Surgery on 21st May 2008. T3-L4
      Op went well 20ish degree curve now.
      May need op in 18 months to remove rods due to pain, but might calm down when bone graft has healed, less pain now, just some shoulder blade pain, and a cold spot in middle right of back.

Comment

Hi Angela,

Wow, that is a big move-up on the surgery date, but like SusieBee said, atleast it will be over sooner! And it is great you are still with your parents so they can help care for you, and that you don't have to worry about rent for awhile.

As for stairs, I spent the first couple of weeks after discharge from the hospital at my sister's house. She set me up in the master bedroom on the second story, which was up two flights of stairs, with 7-8 stairs per flight. It was no problem at all, and didn't cause me any pain. There were handrails on the side, and I just made sure her kids and dog weren't nearby when I was trying to navigate up and down them. I was also happy to be able to get away from the daytime noise and chaos when I needed to, while I would not have been able to if my bed was on the main floor.

Also, if your post-surgery in the hospital is like mine was, a physical therapist will work with you on stairs if you request it, and you can get a better idea then.
        31 year old female
        55* (day of surgery) thoracic curve w/compensatory lumbar
        T4-T12 on Aug 15, 2007

MRI, pre-surgery
        Xray, 3 mos. post-op
        Machu Picchu, 8 mos. post-op

Comment

Working...
        X