Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A pillow poll

Hi all --

I'm closing in on 10 months post-op, and I still need to take a pillow with me everywhere. I'm not self-conscious about it (sure beats a walker or cane!!!), but it would be nice to travel a little lighter at some point. Part of the reason is that I'm tiny with short legs, and when my feet don't touch the floor it strains my fusion. The other issue is, when I sit in a hard-back or deep chair, only the upper two-thirds of my spine touches the chair back, which also creates a strain in the lumbar area. I need one in the car, too -- although I'm currently car-shopping for a more comfortable car (I've been driving a stick shift -- ugh!!).

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has needed a pillow months or years post-op, and what type of pillow they like (I use one that's very squishy and soft -- regular lumbar support pillows are way too hard).

Thanks!
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Chris-- I don't go that many places!!! But when I go to church and will be sitting in a folding metal type chair for awhile (in Sunday School or if there's a dinner afterward) I use one of those folding stadium cushion things. I found one at Target awhile back-- it's an Eddie Bauer one, a nice inconspicuous brownish color, snaps together when not in use, and has handles and a shoulder strap for carrying. I took the shoulder strap off since I don't use it. It cushions both my bottom and my back and I really like it. Plus it is so easy to take and isn't real obvious. I keep it in my van just in case... When I got it, it was marked 50% off, so was only about $12.00 if I remember right. Best wishes!!!
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Chril,

I am 11 months PO and still take a pillow everywhere. I dont worry about what others think, it makes me feel better. Mine is a square pillow with fiberfill in it. sometimes I bring a very worn out flat down pillow (thats the one I like better), but I don't like to take it out of the house for fear i'll lose it.
      when my daughter finishes college next month, I'm going to take her Memory foam Mattress Pad and make it into Pillows for me....one for work...one for each car...ect...
      Patty 51 years old
      Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
      Posterior T3- L4
      Pre surgery curves
      T-53degrees
      L-38degrees
      and a severe side shift to the right.
      Post surgery curves
      Less than 10 degrees
      Surgery April, 2006
      C4 - C6

Comment

Thanks for the replies, ladies. I ordered and have just started using the inflatable pillow from www.comforthouse.com. It's really good -- just three or four puffs of air to inflate it slightly and it feels great. It folds up to a small size when you're not using it.
        Chris
        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Chris,

I sit on a pillow at the kitchen table all the time. I also sit on one in my husband's van when we go anywhere that takes more than an hour to get there. I use a dog bone shaped pillow for my lumbar when we go to the movies, fly and also on very long trips in the car. I use a "Squishy" pillow at work for my lumbar.
          Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
          Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
          Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
          Fused T2 to sacrum
          June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
          MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Working...
          X