Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donating Blood

hey guys!
    Skyler has to go and donate blood tomorrow for her surgery. She is really freaked out as she is only 11. So is mom! how hard is this on the young ones? Having never doanted blood myself, I have no clue!!!!

I'm not sure this is what you want to hear, but my daughter had a difficult time with it and she's 15. The first 2 times I took her, her heart rate was too high, >100 beats/min. disqualifies you because there's a greater chance they will pass out with an increased heart rate (at least at our blood bank). My husband took her the 3rd time and acted like a clown so she could relax, it helped, barely. Her heart rate was just under so she went ahead with the donation. We thought everything was fine with the blood and then I received a call several days later that there wasn't enough to process! I literally became sick to my stomach and begged her to do what she could with it. She had to get special clearance from the blood bank supervisor and they went ahead with it. I was mostly upset because the lady drawing the unit never mentioned to my husband that it was short.

The surgeon wanted her to donate 2 units but it was only 2 weeks until surgery and she was weak and dizzy after the 1st one so we decided not to even try. She ended up receiving her unit of blood immediately following surgery. We requested she not be given any off the shelf unless it was absolutely necessary and the doctor agreed. She came home anemic (hgb=8.7) but she appears to be ok now at 5 months post-op.

If she's not on iron supplements, you might want to put her on them. We used Floradix and alternated with a non-constipating iron tablet. Also I would suggest your daughter to bring anything that might help her relax, like an Ipod or Gameboy. Also mention to the tech drawing the blood that please to make sure they get enough to process so there won't be any misunderstandings.
    I hope it all works out fine, you know everyone is different!

Comment

Important - make sure she drinks HEAPS of water before you go. This make her well hydrated. If she is nervous and going to the toilet a lot beforehand, take water in the car with you and for when you arrive. Or a Lucazide - I don't know what they call that in the states, it's a drink full of goodies for when your sick with vomitting etc.

She'll be right, it's the fear factor that's 100000% worse than the actual process.

Del
      xx
      Elysia 16 in Feb 2010
      Sydney - Australia
      Feb 2008 Fused T5-L1 and 5 ribs removed.
      Dec 2009 - Crankshafting
      Dec 10 - Revision surgery...3 vertebrae taken down, hooks removed, at T11-L1 - screws inserted, fusion extended down to
      L3 using Pedicle screws, some rib removed to try to derotate. Praying for things to settle.

Comment

Thanks, this should be so interesting!!!!! She is scared to death! lol!!

Comment

Del just gave the most important info ... I donate regularly, and force hydrate for at least 24 hours (48 is even better) prior (I mean like 16 oz. an hour with no activity - double that if active). You bleed MUCH faster when you're well hydrated.

Eat a light, healthy, NON-greasy meal the day of (prior to donation), and a hearty meal the evening of. Continue regular fluid intake, but 8 oz. an hour should be fine (everyone should do that *anyway* .... donor or not).

She may be a bit more tired that evening, but not exceedingly so. The day after, she'll be fine.

Regards,
          Pam
          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

Another question along this line. I take 27 mg iron ( from 134 mg Ferrous Sulfate, USP) 2x a day. The paperwork I was given for blood donation says I should begin taking Ferrous Gluconate (iron) 240/325 mg 2x a day for 1 week prior. Anyone know the difference between the types of iron? I was also told I can donate at my PAT,but thats on May 1st and my 1st surgery is the 9. Isn't that a bit too close?
            2 60* curves, DDD, left trunk shift, some rotation, rib and lumbar humps, annular tear at L5-S1
            surgery 5/08 planning fusion T3 or T4 to sacrum with iliac fixation
            Dr. Anderson at Rothman Institute
            5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5
            5/23/08 fused T2-sacrum w/fixation and I'm all Titanium
            6/4/08 open all back up to clean out for Staph infection
            (left open with just clear dressing)
            6/6/08 recleaned and closed
            3/30/2012 revision planned, broken rod and removal of iliac bolts

Comment

Hi Sharshe,

Sorry I can't tell you what the difference is between Ferrous Sulfate & ferrous gluconate, but I know my son was told to take the gluconate prior to his surgery. Also, due to a recurring illness, he ended up donating one unit of blood exactly one week prior to his surgery, and he did ok. Not ideal, I know, but it can be done.

Take care and good luck,

Renee

Comment

When I was maybe 12, I had to go to my doctor and donate a few pints of blood, and I was a little bit freaked out by this, but just have her look away and maybe keep her mind off of it. I wish her and you the best of luck.
                braceyourself.

Comment

We are back! Yikes, that was fun! It took forever, because her heart rate was too high, and they could not get her to calm down. SO we were there most of the morning! But she did it, and I am so proud of her!!

Comment

Originally posted by KJUNGRL2
                    We are back! Yikes, that was fun! It took forever, because her heart rate was too high, and they could not get her to calm down. SO we were there most of the morning! But she did it, and I am so proud of her!!

GOOD JOB KJUNGRL2 !! My daughter started to black out a little and I was hoping they would tell me not to come back for the second unit, but they really think it is best and we had to go the two times. She ended up needing only one of the units for her surgery, but better safe than sorry. Good Luck.
                    Samsmom
                    Mom to Samantha, Age 17

64 Degree Thoracic Curve
                    42 Degree Lumbar Curve
                    Fused T-4 to L-2
                    Yale New Haven
                    2/5/08

Comment

I was really proud of her!!!! We do have to go back for a secound round. Hopefully it will not be as bad. Hopefully her heart rate will be better! lol!!

Comment

Working...
                      X