Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travelling after surgery II

Hello everyone!

It's been good to catch up with what's been happening here the last few weeks, and to see all the new people who have come here for support (this is the best place to be!!)

For those who don't know, I had this surgery in August 2007, so a little over 8 months ago. My sort of obsessive interest has been travelling after surgery, because it is something I love to do and would hate to be inhibited in. My first experience was just a few weeks after surgery, when I flew from Seattle where I'd had it, to my home in Alaska. That's on another thread, so I won't go into it.

Very recently, I went to Peru for a few weeks (and I still live in Alaska). I was worried how my back would hold up for the long days of flying, and then with all the activity we had planned - including hiking all over Machu Picchu. I am very happy to report that all went well! I kept a pillow or blanket behind my lower back on the airplane, and got up several times during the longer flights. I couldn't believe that the hours of hiking around and walking up and down stairs (Incan ruins) affected only my legs; before surgery, my upper back would have been aching and I would have spent a lot more time laying down.

As far as security, it seemed pretty high in Miami and Bogota, but the detectors didn't scream about my back. I had copies of my x-rays and medical report with me just in case, which I guess will be a lifelong thing.

For anyone looking at this aspect of the effects of surgery, I will tell you that I'm a very happy customer. It was the most pain-free, and advil-free, vacation I've had since I can remember.

Now, if only I can figure out how to post a picture less than 100 KB for those who asked.....Pam?? Help?
    Last edited by geo; 04-08-2008, 03:30 PM.
    31 year old female
    55* (day of surgery) thoracic curve w/compensatory lumbar
    T4-T12 on Aug 15, 2007

MRI, pre-surgery
    Xray, 3 mos. post-op
    Machu Picchu, 8 mos. post-op

Hi there! I too love to travel!! Congrats on being pain free and able to fulsill your dreams!! Doi you have any before/after xrays/pics?
    28 years old. Dx at age 14.

1994 20T/20L
    1998 22T/20L
    2002 30T/28L
    2006 34T/28L
    2008 43T/34L

considering surgery in the near future as the curvature is getting progressively worse and for pain management.

XRAYS and pics at 28 years old. http://www.freewebs.com/skiergirl24/apps/photos/

Comment

Hi Mobee,
      I do have some pictures posted in my "one month post-op" thread, my pre-surgery MRI and x-rays from immediately post-op.
      I am going to try to find a way to have all those in my signature. I suppose a host site like photobucket or something and attach a link?
      31 year old female
      T4-T12 on Aug 15, 2007

MRI, pre-surgery
      Xray, 3 mos. post-op

Comment

I am thrilled for you! I'm sure it makes a world of difference to travel pain free. Wow, Machu Pichu, my husband wants to go so badly. I said if we do that we also have to do the Galapagos So I have a feeling it will be a while. We'll stay spoiled doing Mexico for now with the Mayan ruins. Can't wait to see your pics. Where to next?
        2 60* curves, DDD, left trunk shift, some rotation, rib and lumbar humps, annular tear at L5-S1
        surgery 5/08 planning fusion T3 or T4 to sacrum with iliac fixation
        Dr. Anderson at Rothman Institute
        5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5
        5/23/08 fused T2-sacrum w/fixation and I'm all Titanium
        6/4/08 open all back up to clean out for Staph infection
        (left open with just clear dressing)
        6/6/08 recleaned and closed
        3/30/2012 revision planned, broken rod and removal of iliac bolts

Comment

Welcome back!

Geo-- so good to hear from you and see the super pic from your trip! It sounds like it went well and you are all set to be the world traveler some more. Keep us posted on what's next on your itinerary...
          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

OK, I think I got it!
            Hmm, what's next, that is my favorite question...my boyfriend keeps complaining that I only ever want to go to the desert, so I have a feeling that "next" will be closer to the Caribbean.
            31 year old female
            T4-T12 on Aug 15, 2007

MRI, pre-surgery
            Xray, 3 mos. post-op

Comment

Pics ...

Geo ... looks like you have it figured out?

Yeah, photobucket will always works ... I just either use box.net because I have an existing account or link to my own web server ...

Let me know if you do still need help, girlfriend!

Pam
              Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
              AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
              Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
              Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
              EMAIL ME

Comment

Working...
              X