Met with Surgeon on Friday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Met with Surgeon on Friday

I saw Dr. Sachin Kim at Mass Geeneral on Friday. What a fabulous doctor! He was very compassionate and I felt at ease. He re-measured my xrays. Thoracic curve is right about 40 (he got 41) and the lumbar curve is at 32 and not 26 like they told me at my primary care docs. He said it is progressing and will likely continue to progress at a slow rate. He said how to treat this is totally up to me. He wrote me a RX for muscle relaxers and wants me to go to physical therapy. I am to go back in January for a check up and we will discuss how to proceed. I told him I don't want surgery this year but am thinking of it down the line...he said it was my choice but that he understood why and where I was coming from. He talked about what a reasonable correction would be, the risks of surgery etc. He said that since I am in pain, and since it is progressing that surgery is an option for me and we will talk about that more at length. He did some xrays of me bending and told me I do not have a thoracolumbar curve, but rather, a thoracic curve iwth a compensatory lumbar curve. He was a great doctor.
    28 years old. Dx at age 14.

1994 20T/20L
    1998 22T/20L
    2002 30T/28L
    2006 34T/28L
    2008 43T/34L

considering surgery in the near future as the curvature is getting progressively worse and for pain management.

XRAYS and pics at 28 years old. http://www.freewebs.com/skiergirl24/apps/photos/

loves to skate

Hi Mobee,
    I'm so glad you liked Dr. Kim. Are you going to keep your appointment with Dr. Rand? You will like him also. You sound very upbeat, so it probably wasn't as bad as you thought it was going to be. At least now you know you have some options and that does a lot to set your mind at ease.
    Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Hi Sally, yes I am going to keep my appt with Dr. Rand as well. I figure a second opinion can't hurt! My BF was so good to me on Friday. He knew how worried I was about going to see the surgeon. We planned on going out Friday night. After I left MGH I drove to my BFs house (he was still at work but left the door open for me). He had drawn the bed for me so that I could take a nap when I got there because he knew I would be mentally exhausted. I was asleep when he got home, so he tucked the blankets around me and brought me a cup of tea. It was rainy and I said I would rather just chill out rather than go anywhere. I lounged in my pjs while he cooked me dinner (pesto pizza!), and then gave me a back massage. I was toally relaxed!

1994 20T/20L
      1998 22T/20L
      2002 30T/28L
      2006 34T/28L
      2008 43T/34L

considering surgery in the near future as the curvature is getting progressively worse and for pain management.

XRAYS and pics at 28 years old. http://www.freewebs.com/skiergirl24/apps/photos/

Comment

Mobee,

I'm so happy to hear things went well for you on Friday. Dr. Kim sounds wonderful! Keep us posted on your appointment with Dr. Rand.

Mary Lou
        Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

How can I put my xray in my signature? Here is the most recent xray/

1994 20T/20L
          1998 22T/20L
          2002 30T/28L
          2006 34T/28L
          2008 43T/34L

Comment

Working...
          X