Posture Support Brace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Posture Support Brace

So, I was interested in the SpineCor.. but I can't afford it right now (aka college student). So I was looking around at different things that might be able to help me, has anyone used one of these before? http://www.underworks.com/health/409.html
    Because I think my problem might be that I'm starting to slouch, so if I buy that (with shipping its like $10.50) it should help, right?
    If anyone has used anything like that please let me know, because I plan to buy one within the couple days.. and I'll repost to say how its working

Thanks

Looks interesting. Also the Posture Corrector/Trainer Back Support Brace.
    Please let me know if it makes you feel straighter.
    What kind of curve(s) do you have? (Sorry I can't remember).

Ruth
    Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

Hi Jackieoabby
      I have mild scoliosis. I took the watch and wait approach as a youth and never wore a brace. However, after turning 40 I've had a lot of problems with neck and back pain. As you age, you expect certain parts of the body to head south due to the effects of gravity. I did not expect my head to be the first to fall .

One day I tried on my daughter's SpineCor (it obviously didn't fit well since see's only 10) but it felt great. As a cheap alternative I bought the Posture Corrector/Trainer Back Support Brace from Underworks. I wear it when I spend long hours in front of the computer at work or when doing a lot of physical activity (yard work, jogging). My back definitely feels better at the end of the day with a little bit of extra support and my posture has greatly improved.
      Mom to Haley, 13.5 yrs old
      Diagnosed at 6 yrs old - 18T.
      Boston Brace at 9.5 yrs old - 34T/18L
      Switched to SpineCor at 10 yrs old
      Stable at ~22T OBX until 12.5 yrs old
      Adolescent growth spurt was brutal - scheduled for surgery Dec 7th.

Comment

rtremb - I don't know my curves, I did at one point though haha. I've had surgery though, these are my x-rays - http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a5/...abby/3back.jpg .

HaleyMom - Thank you for telling me how it works for you! I'm only 20, but I'm going to start exercising and what not since I'm young and already feeling ageing pains (you know what I mean, because of my back I'm already limited to activity) so I wanted something to maybe help me out a bit.

I'm buying it right now, so I'll post back in a couple weeks after I've been able to test it out! Thanks for your inputs.

Comment

These "posture devices" may improve pain temporarily, but continued wear can result in muscle atrophy.

Just my opinion, but the few minutes you spend putting this thing on would be better spent stretching and strengthening.

One of the ways I used to do this pre-op was standing (centered) in an open doorframe, arms at shoulder height, and leaning forward to the desired level of pull across my chest/shoulders. When my shoulders got tight, I felt the pull between my shoulder blades MUCH more.

Just my $.02.

Pam
          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

Thanks for your opinion, I do stretchs and it still doesn't help..
            I got the brace yesterday in the mail.. so far so good!
            It hurts the armpits a little, but its supposed to so that you put your shoulders back.. i've work it all day (because tues and thurs are my long school days) and my back hasn't hurt at all!
            The way it works is, it hurts if you sluch forward.. so if you put your shoulders back it doesn't hurt because its not doing anything! So it isn't hurting my muscles at all I don't believe.
            Another good thing about it, I wore it during my "turbo jam" workout and it helps also! Because with turbo jam your supposed to always have your shoulders back, so its helping with that!
            It is very easy to put on, just put it on over my arms like a shirt and pull it down and there I go. Only "con" i've noticed really is that because of my hump, it sticks out a bit in the back so it emphazies my hump.. but not a big deal because I have long hair that covers it.
            Not bad for $15!
            Last edited by jackieoabby; 04-15-2008, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Glad you like it - hope it helps. Very reasonably priced alternative too.

Ruth
              Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

Working...
              X