Something some may not know ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something some may not know ...

After fusion surgery, your correction continues to improve for ±6 months.

As your body adjusts to its new posture, and relaxes, compensatory curves begin to straighten out.

Here's a view of mine I've created beginning with pre-op. You can tell a slight difference in the 3 weeks to 8 weeks post-op views (note the bottom of the hardware has moved to the right ).

I'll keep adding x-rays as they're taken. Interesting, eh?

Just a little bonus to look forward to afterwards!

Regards,
    Pam
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Pam,

You are fortunate to have benefited from this surgery now rather than later. You avoided a long fusion and seemingly have had a relatively easy recovery. And even though you mention that your curve had remained stable for years, that probably would have changed once you entered menopause. That’s when I began to notice height loss and my body changing. Had I known even 10 years ago that help was available, I would have sought treatment long before now. Congratulations on a very successful surgical outcome!

Chris

Comment

Very cool!

Pam - those comparison xrays are very cool! You can really see the progression when they're side by side. I have been meaning for years to do some kind of multi-media artwork with my xrays and other paraphanelia from my surgeries, so maybe this will inspire me to get started. Enough procrastinating. I remember years ago seeing some paintings that a woman with scoliosis did of her back. If I find it again I'll post the link.

Chris - my troubles with my back started after menopause also, but I never really connected the two. All of the bodily changes that came with menopause were a bit shocking to me, when I stand sideways and look just like those aging progression pictures in the medical books! You know what I mean? Sometimes I wish I had had something done with my back many years ago, but then again I figure the chances are good I would have had Harrington rods and have to go through revision surgery now anyway.

It's not a very profound motto, but I just keep saying "It is what it is" and try to deal with the here and now.
      FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
      10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
      8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
      5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
      2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
      3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

Chris and Felicia ...

You both brought up some important points I've considered since I decided to have surgery ...

IF I'd decided 10 years ago (the pain was bad then) I'd have gone through a surgery with ISOLA or Moss-Miami rods, done by a non-SRS doctor (I didn't know what I do now) and most likely would not have gotten the same results. The last surgeon I talked to (just a spinal ortho) in '97 wanted to do an anterior release on me for the same curve! When he started talking about the cardiac surgeon (to move my heart and diaphragm) I went "Whooooaaaa. It hurts, but I'll deal with it.".

The hormone thing (at menopause or otherwise) is interesting ... I need to find the stuff that passed the scoliosis-medical Yahoo group on that topic. There is some proof there's a connection ...

(and, Chris ... surgery for you, post menopause ... today, with current techniques - I honestly believe will leave you with better results )

I saved it ... but now ... where did I PUT it? LOL ...

VIEW MY X-RAYS
        EMAIL ME

Comment

cool x-rays!

Yes, thanks for sharing the info and x-rays -- they are very interesting!

My real difficulties in dealing with major back pain/aches began at or near menopause also... along with the arthritis, degenerative disc disease, stenosis, etc., compounding the problems-- although I had scoliosis dx'd a long time before that. And sometime in the last 20 years I shrank close to 2.5 inches... and didn't realize I was THAT much shorter till recently. I know I've read about a menopause and increase in scoli problems connection.
          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

That's interesting...I can see that the un-fused part at the bottom is still a bit curved but MUCH straighter wtg, its good to see the fusion up close and after affects (and i like the idea of posting ur xrays when you get them) Im hoping I wont ever need the surgery but its always nice to see that your options arent too closed and life isnt over if you get the fusion! (im still avoiding as much as possible, dont worry ) Cant wait to see the next, and I hope you continue to enjoy your new straight spine!

ps this has been asked before but HOW do you get your xrays? Not that i have much interest in having mine now , but it interests me for the future, or is it only if you've had the fusion that you get to take them with? Thanks for any answers and sorry about piggybacking!
            Last edited by ElleBelleCurvz; 04-04-2008, 10:58 AM.
            Danielle
            14 Freshwoman
            December 1st got no head the boston brace
            Pre Brace Curves:18C 25T 30L
            In brace curves: (1/23/08) 16C 20T 22L
            In brace Curves: (5/21/08) 19C 19T 15L
            We're Bringing CURVY BACK

Comment

Fascinating Pam. That is really interesting. I did not know that. Beautiful correction and nice jewelry too.

Comment

Danielle,

Any time you get digital x-rays, just ask your ortho's office to give them to you on CD ... they should come as jpegs.

And, yep, lil' buddy ... I hope you never need fusion either!

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                EMAIL ME

Comment

Originally posted by Wishing
                  Fascinating Pam. That is really interesting. I did not know that. Beautiful correction and nice jewelry too.
                  Thanks

... but, jewelry?

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                  EMAIL ME

Comment

lol, yeah im interested too in the Jewelery?? Do u mean the rods and screws perhaps??? lol
                    Danielle
                    14 Freshwoman
                    December 1st got no head the boston brace
                    Pre Brace Curves:18C 25T 30L
                    In brace curves: (1/23/08) 16C 20T 22L
                    In brace Curves: (5/21/08) 19C 19T 15L
                    We're Bringing CURVY BACK

Comment

Yeah ... my first thought was "I took all the body jewelry out!" - lol ...

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                      EMAIL ME

Comment

Yea. All that nice looking metal stuff that keeps it all together. It's amazing what the doctors can do these days.

Comment

Another interesting surprise!

My daughter Samantha had her surgery on 2/5/08 as well. She grew about 2" when she was measured for her 2 week check up. At her 8 week check up she gained another 1/2". That was a big surprise. I did not realize that there would be more growth, but the doctor said that everything is tight and that when the muscles start to loosen that it is common for them to become slightly taller.
                          Samsmom
                          Mom to Samantha, Age 17

64 Degree Thoracic Curve
                          42 Degree Lumbar Curve
                          Fused T-4 to L-2
                          Yale New Haven
                          2/5/08

Comment

Originally posted by samsmom
                            My daughter Samantha had her surgery on 2/5/08 as well. She grew about 2" when she was measured for her 2 week check up. At her 8 week check up she gained another 1/2". That was a big surprise. I did not realize that there would be more growth, but the doctor said that everything is tight and that when the muscles start to loosen that it is common for them to become slightly taller.
                            Heya, Michele! Haven't seen you around

Yep ... I didn't know it either until vndy told me a while back.

That's so cool my lil' twinner got 2-1/2" ... I'm jealous! (of course you know I'm kidding ... I just don't know where mine went ... I got cheated, man! )

Hanson did say it's much more difficult to predict height increase post-fusion in adults vs. kids, and I keep forgetting to get measured (I have important stuff to ask regarding shotguns and saltwater fishing ... I can't remember to do *everything* - LOL!), so I really have no idea HOW tall I am now. The 1/4" increase was measured at my mom's on her doctor's scale - and that was ±4 weeks post op.

Regards,
                            Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                            EMAIL ME

Comment

Hi Pam,

We made a big black mark on the door jamb with a sharpie marker for "your twinner" before we left for the hospital and one when she came home. Sure enough she is now about 1/2 " taller. I thought I was imagining it, but it was confirmed at the doctors office during her 6 week check up. We proudly show that mark to everyone who comes in. Looks like we'll never paint now!
                              - Michele
                              Samsmom
                              Mom to Samantha, Age 17

64 Degree Thoracic Curve
                              42 Degree Lumbar Curve
                              Fused T-4 to L-2
                              Yale New Haven
                              2/5/08

Comment

Working...
                              X