How do you fit it all in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you fit it all in?

Between being a full-time student and working full-time I barely have time to fit in exercise. But, as many of you know, proper stretching and certain exercises benefit (at least in my experience) people with scoliosis more than just a quick workout. A normal workout would probably take an hour but when I add in scoliosis specific exercises and stretching it turns into a 2 hour workout. I do not want to do just the stretching and exercises for scoliosis because then my other muscles aren't getting worked and I'm not getting in any cardio. How do you balance both? Do you do things for your scoliosis everyday and lighten up on the rest? Do you still see average workout benefits from that? The one time I felt my best I did a 1/2 hour of pilates/stretching/abs in the AM, lifted for an hour at the gym in the afternoon, did cardio for an hour at the gym at night, stretched at the gym for 20 minutes after cardio, did 15-20minutes of PT recommended stretches before bed at night. I felt great but devoted around 3 hours a day to my health. I do not have that kind of time anymore and my back and "health" are suffering because of it.

What's the best way to balance it all?

Thanks,

Wish I could help you out with this, but I am a neophyte with scoli exercise regimens... and mine have been post-op.

I wasn't going to respond, but thought if I did, then surely someone will correct me and that may get the ball rolling for you.

If I were in your shoes, I would stick with the scoli ones for the most part, but alternate your other workouts. Are you doing any of this with a physical therapist? Or have you in the past? They would be able to guide you in what to do... with a given amount of time each day.

I've been wondering about squeezing in everything once I return to work too. I know I will need to continue with exercises (for life!), and I will have to figure out a way to get it done. I know BS (before surgery) I got up at 4:45 every work day just to get my normal stuff done, get to school and get ready for the day, etc., and by the time I got home, fixed supper, and was done for the evening, I was exhausted. It was hard fitting in a half an hour to 45 minutes on the exercise bike... Now I have a lot more to do than that. I figure I will alternate every other day with which group of muscles I'm targeting and try to hit the treadmill every day if at all possible. Of course, my mind may change once this all happens. I'm not going back till next August!

Good luck with trying to fit everything in!
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Thank you for the reply! I have some ideas based on my old PT and research I've done, etc. I do not have a new PT yet so most of the stuff is based on what I think and have heard is best. I think your idea is a good one though. Try to do some for of cardio everyday to keep weight off (which will help my back anyways). Do scoli focused training 4-5 days a week and hit my other muscles the other 2 days or something.

Comment

Even if you can only do cardio a few days a week, it's always most efficient (keeps the metabolism elevated all day) first thing in the morning.

The other things (stretching, toning, core strengthening) can be combined by using a balance ball. Even the size of the ball can increase the intensity of the workout (smaller ball, slower reps = tougher workout).

Unless you're training for competition, 3 hours is EXTREMELY inefficient.
        Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
        AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
        Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
        Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
        EMAIL ME

Comment

Working...
        X