Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pain - 9 months post-op

Hi Everyone

I am 9 mos post-op and dealing with pain and numbness since. I am told that this is a long recovery and eventually the pain will subside. But, 5 days ago I got this excruciating pain in my lower back going into my left hip. Has this ever happened to anyone?

Thanks
    Maria

pain also

I am almost 2 years post op and I have the worst pain in my lower left side of my back and into my hip. My dr. says I will always have pain and this is normal. I will say, I do not feel normal. I am looking for another Dr. to get another opinion. I thought I would feel fine by now. I guess not.

Stephanie
    Stephanie
    T11 to L3
    1 rib removed
    June 5, 2006

Comment

Maria-- I am posting, even though I don't have your problems. I'm so sorry you are having pain! You too, Stephanie. I don't know that what you both have is really considered normal or not... just wanted you to know that I don't have pain. I'm at 11 months post-op. I can't remember having what I would call pain after I stopped taking pain medication at around 6 months. There has been some discomfort-- and when I overdo things, I ache. But I don't even take any tylenol or other OTC pain reliever. Maybe it's a matter of having different ideas about pain... but it sounds like you are having major pain, and I definitely don't have that.

As far as numbness goes, yes, I have numbness and/or sensitive (to the touch) areas on my back, near my incision, which I think is the result of nerve damage, to be expected, from the surgery. I know it has gotten better and will hopefully improve even more as time goes by. I had the same thing with a previous (unrelated) surgery... where lymph nodes were removed from my right armpit area. Even though that was about 35 years ago, it still feels a little "off" there, but finally pretty much back to ok.

Maybe others who experience pain will respond and let you know if what you are having is normal or not. If I were you, I would definitely pursue finding out more, even if it means seeking other opinions. Best wishes. Susie
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Maria, I would say that "excruciating" pain is certainly not normal and I wonder if it is a muscle pull or strain. If it doesn't subside I would definitely get it checked out.

I am 9 and a half months post-op and experiencing more pain than I expected at this stage in the game, but it is not agonizing. It is definitely frustrating, however.
        Chris
        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Maria,

When I saw your post, it reminded me of a similar post from a woman who experienced the same type of excruciating pain 11 months post-op. Here’s her account.
          http://scoliosis.org/forum/showpost....78&postcount=1

We haven’t heard from Cakedec in some time so I’m assuming all is well with her.

Chris

Comment

I am at about 18 months and I have numbness and that off feeling around the incision area, mostly at the lower part. I was fused from t-9 to the iliac. I have discomfort and I do take advil most days, but I do have a physically demanding job. I was in so much pain before surgery that what litt;e I have now is nothing.
            surgery 9/06
            Rothman institute

Comment

Hi everyone!

Thank you all for your input. My excruciating pain did go away after 4-5 days, but I did call my dr and he is going to see me on April 24th instead of seeing him 1 year post-op. Hopefully this won't flare up again.

Singer - I also expected to be better at this stage of the game and yes it is definitely frustrating.

Thanks again
              Maria

Comment

Working...
              X