Questions I asked yesterday: Dental antibiotic prophylaxis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions I asked yesterday: Dental antibiotic prophylaxis

A few topics have been bouncing around here lately, and I added them to my list of questions for Hanson yesterday. The topics will all start with the subject "Questions I asked yesterday:" ...

Let's try to get a collection of answers!

If you answer, please refrain from quoting PubMed articles anyone can pull - that aren't even necessarily peer-reviewed.

Also be sure to name your surgeon, his speciality, and whether he's an SRS member.

Mine, as many of you know is:

Darrell S. Hanson, MD
    Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX (and, yes, he's SRS)

Specialties:
    Adult Scoliosis
    Aging Spine
    Degenerative Conditions
    Juvenile/Infantile Scoliosis
    __________________________________________________ ___

On the topic of whether dental pre-med is required after fusion surgery, he never recommends it.

Regards,
    Pam
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Dr Ganocy told me yesterday that while it isn't necessary it can't hurt "just in case". My decision is no pre-medicating before dental work. Doesn't seem like it is needed so why take it?

T Kent Ganocy II, MD
    Southern California Permanente Medical Group
    4760 Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles, CA
    Adolescent, Adult Scoliosis, Aging Spine, Degenerative Conditions
    SRS
    Trained under Dr Boachie, as well as others.
    (He was actually a few years ahead of Hanson in Texas, I asked him if he knew him yesterday and he kind of chuckled and said Hanson was a Jr resident when he was there. Had great things to say about him.)
    Last edited by Geish; 04-02-2008, 11:04 AM.
    Geish
    47 years old, dx at 13
    +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
    Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

Back in 2004, a few months after his VBS surgery, David was due for his annual dental cleaning/checkup. At that time (procedure may have changed in the past four years), we were told by Dr. D'Andrea at Shriners, Philadelphia, that they prescribed meds prior to dental work for the first year post-op.

I have heard varying opinions on this though - seems to differ from surgeon to surgeon. For instance, I heard from someone that their doc said they are only needed for "dirty dental work", etc. Others feel it isn't necessary at all.

It should be interesting to hear the different responses.
      mariaf305@yahoo.com
      Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
      Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Well, here you go ... neither one of the two orthopedic surgeons I have had ever mentioned anything about pre-medicating. However, I have mitral valve prolapse and for that reason both my primary care doctor and my dentist have me pre-medicate whenever I have ANY dental work done.
        FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
        10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
        8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
        5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
        2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
        3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

loves to skate

I went to the dentist today for a cleaning. I'm 4 months post-op. The subject was brought up and I said I thought it was no longer required. The dental hygienest (is there a spell checker on this site) agreed that it is no longer required, she was just checking. Dr. Rand never said anything to me nor did I ask him. The Cardiologist who checked me out before surgery told me it is no longer suggested or required for prolapse mitral valve.
          Sally
          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Dr. Boachie wants all his spine patients to take 2,000 mgs of amoxicillin before each and every dental procedure for 5 years post-op. I would rather be safe than sorry. I'm not too worried about antibiotic resistance because I have very good teeth (just cleanings every 8 months or so) and I can't remember the last time I took a course of antibiotics.

I also have a mild case of mitral valve prolapse which I've never premedicated for.

It's interesting to me that there is such a wide variance of opinions on this in the medical community. It makes me realize that medicine is indeed an art and not a science.....
            Chris
            A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
            Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
            Post-op curve: 12 degrees
            Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

I agree with you Chris about the varying opinions. It’s got me now wondering why I will be required to do this for the rest of my life.

Comment

Porphylactic antibiotics

The only time I even heard of antibiotics before a dental procedure is when there is a risk if infection to the heart--endocarditis. Usually, for someone who has had an open heart surgery.

If you have an abscess in your mouth, the dentist always will prescribe antibiotics before a procedure. For general cleanings or dentistry, there may be blood in the mouth, but generally in a healthy individual (and one with recent surgery or implants) there is little risk of infection to another site, in my opinion.

I also believe that antibiotics are overused.

Comment

Dr Bridwell's post op instructions include antibiotics prior to dental work for 2 years.
                  Jan Lotherington,
                  56* thoracic curve, 50* lumbar curve
                  A/P fusion T3-Sacrum, Dec 11&13 2007
                  at age 55
                  Dr Bridwell

Comment

I saw my surgeon recently and asked him about dental work.

He told me that I would need dental pre-med antibiotics if I was ever to have anything done (including cleaning) - I asked for how long and he said for life.

Again, like many people I would rather be safe than sorry.

My surgeon is Paul Davies, based in the UK.
                    Double 63(T)/75(L) deg curve with big sideways shift - Surgery in UK on 8th February 2006.
                    Post op 30(T)/33(L)
                    http://warpedwoman.blogspot.com/

Comment

Patrick's surgeon says not necessary for routine work/cleaning but for bigger stuff like a root canal he should have antibiotics. Hopefully he'll never need a root canal.
                      Ramona
                      mom of Patrick, age 15 at time of surgery
                      diagnosed July 2006 curves T58 L 38

Nov. 2006 curves T72 L38
                      also lordoscoliosis

feb.2007 curves T79 L43

Surgery May 16 2007
                      fused T4 to L1

Comment

I ran into my dentist in the grocery store the other day and she said I should use antibiotics for the first year following this surgery.
                        Geish
                        47 years old, dx at 13
                        +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
                        Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
                        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
                        http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
                        http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

Another example ...

... of physician instructions that are all over the map. I have been pre-medicating for years, I thought for mitral valve prolapse. Neither of my spine surgeons said anything about pre-medication. When I saw my dentist the other day, he said I am pre-medicating because of the back surgery, not because of mitral valve prolapse. The dentist wants me to pre-medicate for two years following surgery. I called my surgeon's office and his PA told me I should pre-medicate for 6 months. I asked why I wasn't told that, and she said they count on the dentist to follow up, which I thought was a pretty lame answer. My dentist was a little irritated because he says lots of doctors don't tell their patients about pre-med and they do leave it to the dentists to catch it. The dentist of course says "it can't hurt" but I'm also determined not to spend my "senior years" with a bucketful of medications that may or may not be necessary.
                          FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
                          10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
                          8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
                          5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
                          2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
                          3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

They're all different, aren't they. You'd think there would be a standard wouldn't you?

I think maybe mine is for life because I had to have a steel rod rather than titanium because of the stiffness of my spine - something to do with leverage he said, when working to get my correction. I think he said that titanium is more brittle and they thought it would break so decided to use stainless steel.
                            Double 63(T)/75(L) deg curve with big sideways shift - Surgery in UK on 8th February 2006.
                            Post op 30(T)/33(L)
                            http://warpedwoman.blogspot.com/

Comment

Sam's doctor said that "YES" she would need to take antibiotics as a precaution before any dental work done in the next 2 years and that includes cleanings. I asked a friend of mine who is a dental assistant and she said that her office recommends the pre-medication for hip and knee replacement as well as spinal fusion.... something about the bacteria being drawn to the metal.
                              - Michele
                              Samsmom
                              Mom to Samantha, Age 17

64 Degree Thoracic Curve
                              42 Degree Lumbar Curve
                              Fused T-4 to L-2
                              Yale New Haven
                              2/5/08

Comment

Working...
                              X