Itchy Scar.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Itchy Scar.....

Hi, My daughter had surgery two months ago and is really having a lot of itchiness. Any suggestions for cream, lotions etc,,,, any ideas or advice would be great!!!!
    Thanks, Ann

Is it the scar itself (i.e., the skin), or somewhere deeper? Just curious whether it's skin or nerves ...
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Comment

Eucerin makes an anti-itch spray-on lotion that I love. Any lotion helped a little, but for me, that one was really the best.
      2000 34*L/39*T
      2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
      (initially planned T4-L1)
      12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

I agree, the Eucerin spray is amazing!! I had an allergic reaction to the adhesive from the bandage when I first came home from the hospital and broke out into lots of hives, and that stuff was a lifesaver! My incision is extremely itchy right now, but I'm assuming that's because it's still healing.
        Nicole//18 years old, college sophomore//50 degree thoracolumbar curve//Posterior Spinal Fusion in 2008, Fused T5 to L3

Comment

Originally posted by dusty508
          Hi, My daughter had surgery two months ago and is really having a lot of itchiness. Any suggestions for cream, lotions etc,,,, any ideas or advice would be great!!!!
          Thanks, Ann
          I know everyone keeps giving advice for a healing scar ...

My scar was 100% healed at 2 months: Is this uncommon? In fact, at my 3 weeks post-op it was healed. And I didn't even have a cosmetic closure (my body doesn't tolerate dissolveable stitches - it spits them out - so I have a single thread of regular stitch along the entire 17" of my scar).

Believe it or not, it looks great. Hanson joked maybe he should use that method (and YES, he was kidding!) on everyone.

That's why I asked about is it the actual scar itching or nerve itching. (a bit less than 2 months is when my nerves started going NUTS ... agh!)
          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

My scars healed very rapidly also but they also itch from time to time. (The stapled anterior scar healed the fastest even though it looked the scariest -- the posterior scar was steri-stripped and it's much more prominent.) The itching was worse when I was on Oxycontin. I also have itchiness on the vertebrae ABOVE my fusion, which is weird.

I would say the anterior incision sometimes itches BELOW the scar, in an unreachable area deep in my torso, which tells me it's nerves/tissues.

I use inexpensive Vitamin E cream on my posterior scar, which helps a lot. I can't do a thing about the anterior itchiness.
            Chris
            A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
            Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
            Post-op curve: 12 degrees
            Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Working...
            X