Savannah came home yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Savannah came home yesterday

Per the thread title, Savannah came home yesterday, five days after surgery as predicted by the surgeon.

It was a race from the point of her release (soon after her last pain med dose) to getting to a pharmacy and filling her script near our house in the next town in time for her dose four hours after the last. I drove thought the pharmacy near us and they couldn't fill it because they didn't have the resident's first name on the paper! So they had to call over to the hospital and try to find the name before they could fill it. That took about 10 minutes. When I explained I had Savannah in the van and needed the meds before the four hour point, he kindly jumped us up the line and let me wait for it. Otherwise we were looking at a ~1.5 hour wait and she would have gotten behind on the dosing.

I will mention to the resident when we see him at the follow-up in six weeks what happened. I would have thought he would know by now that a pharmacy would have to have his first name in order to fill our script.

We came home to an empty but well decorated house! My husband and other daughter were getting her brace fitted here and then over to the next town to have the surgeon okay the brace. So they had put up balloons and streamers to welcome Savannah home. That cheered her up but afterward, we had a bad time adjusting pillows so that she was supported and comfortable. It took a long time.

After returning to peak pain med levels, Savannah was more comfortable. We had a delivery of a fruit arrangement that looks like a bouquet of flowers that my in-laws sent. It had a balloon and she really liked that. Her sister Willow put a beautiful metal box of chocolates in her room also. So she had a few nice surprises with a few more on the way (it's a secret!). She already got an IPod from my husband and had music to listen to in the hospital. That seemed to cheer her when we were there.

She got around pretty well yesterday, buoyed by the happiness of being home and being with her sister. They went upstairs, outside, etc. Savannah helped Willow put on her brace and foolishly tried to help her tighten it. I explained that pulling like that is equivalent to lifting (or worse) and that she can't do stuff like that.

She got around fine that first day and slept less than I expected she would. She has to be a little careful coming down stairs, though. We set her up in the guest bedroom on the first floor which happens to have a painted ceiling (blue sky and clouds - don't know why the previous owners did that). It has her bed, a private bathroom, and a TV. So she is very comfortable in there, at least during the day. We put her flowers and balloons from the hospital in there and it is very cheery.

Last night, she kept having very vivid dreams/nightmares worried that I wouldn't wake her up for her meds on time. She also doesn't want to be alone in there... it is on the other side or the house from our bedroom and her sister is upstairs. So my husband put one of our cordless phones in there so she can use the intercom function any time she wants to get me in my bedroom.

She seems better today pain-wise. We just have to stay on top of it.

Before Savannah was discharged, the resident came by to check her one last time. I asked him if Savannah could see her post-op films. He pulled them up on the computer in the room and Savannah and I could both see it. I had seen them earlier when I went to radiology with her. It looks perfectly straight. On side view, the two rods were almost overlaid which I took to mean she was mostly de-rotated (assuming she was exactly normal to the shot). I asked the resident about this and he said that it could be viewed as a rough estimate of her rotation correction. I was very happy about the de-rotation because the surgeon said he would fix some of it but not all of it. Looking at the film and looking at Savannah, I think he fixed 80% or more of it.

She has mostly screws but two hooks at the top on the left rod.

As mentioned, Willow got her night-time bending brace. In the brace, her curve straightens completely. I couldn't be at the appointment because I was taking Savannah home from the hospital at that time so I didn't get to ask some questions. I am assuming Willow's Risser is similar to Savannah's (3-4) and so may not have to wear the brace for long. Also, I wanted to know what her present angle is compared to that determined in February. My husband comes to the appointments but can't keep up with details beyond what I tell him. I'll just call the surgeon's office for this stuff.

So that's the news. It's good to be home. It's been pretty much as advertised so far.

sharon
    Last edited by Pooka1; 04-01-2008, 11:32 AM.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

I'm glad to hear that you are home and that all is well (for someone who has just had their back fused anyway) I'm hoping she has a speedy recovery!

And that's great news that Willow is getting a great correction in her brace. That's a good sign!
    daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
    -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
    -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
    -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

Originally posted by jillw
      I'm glad to hear that you are home and that all is well (for someone who has just had their back fused anyway) I'm hoping she has a speedy recovery!

And that's great news that Willow is getting a great correction in her brace. That's a good sign!
      Thanks so much, Jill.

In re degree of in-brace correction and success in holding the curve, the surgeon originally gave us an 80% chance no brace would hold Willow given Savannah's rapid progression and that Willow would likely need fusion also. But I guess after seeing the in-brace films, he told my husband that this brace has a good chance of holding the curve. I wish I could have been at that appointment.

sharon

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Hi Sharon
        Great to hear every thing went well and Savanah's back home.
        Also good to hear Willow is having good correction with her brace - it'd be pretty rough on you if you had to go through another surgery in the near future.

NC weather sure beats Alberta. I lived in Alberta (Edmonton) for 22 years and never plan to go back.

HaleyMom
        Mom to Haley, 13.5 yrs old
        Diagnosed at 6 yrs old - 18T.
        Boston Brace at 9.5 yrs old - 34T/18L
        Switched to SpineCor at 10 yrs old
        Stable at ~22T OBX until 12.5 yrs old
        Adolescent growth spurt was brutal - scheduled for surgery Dec 7th.

Comment

Yay for you!

Thanks for the post and letting us know how it's all going! I'm sure it feels so good to be home, for both you and Savannah!!! And that's great news about Willow too!
          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Originally posted by HaleyMom
            Hi Sharon
            Great to hear every thing went well and Savanah's back home.
            Also good to hear Willow is having good correction with her brace - it'd be pretty rough on you if you had to go through another surgery in the near future.

NC weather sure beats Alberta. I lived in Alberta (Edmonton) for 22 years and never plan to go back.

HaleyMom
            Well, if I had to help another kid through this, I would feel better prepared at least! But hopefully Willow will not need fusion.

We only lived in Calgary for three years but enjoyed the time very much. That's a great town. Very sporty. And some nice dressage horses... I bought my horse up there and liked him so much I flew him to North Carolina when we moved here in 2006. It's amazing that he made the trip in 22 hours (straight). A plane from Calgary to NY and then right onto a van to here. He was a tired boy!

sharon

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Susie*Bee
              Thanks for the post and letting us know how it's all going! I'm sure it feels so good to be home, for both you and Savannah!!! And that's great news about Willow too!
              I feel like I can breathe a bit now, for both girls.

Best regards,
              sharon

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Sharon,

I'm glad you and Savannah are home. You'll find that your family will fall into a routine. Try your best to stay on top of the pain--don't let it get ahead of her because as you know, it is so much harder to get it controlled after it reaches a certain point.

I had to smile when I read that she was helping Willow into her brace. People tend to think that once you are over the worry/stress of surgery, that life gets easier. Nope, at times it gets more stressful! The better Savannah feels, the harder your job will become. These kids start to feel good and assume they can resume their lives and it is our job as parents to be ever vigilant and make sure they don't do anything they aren't allowed to do. I relate this part of recovery to having a curious toddler in the house because like a toddler, you have to watch the post-op child just as closely as a two year old!

How are you doing? Are you getting plenty of sleep? Eating properly? Talk to you soon.

Mary Lou
                Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Hi Mary Lou,

LOL! I am coming to realize that your toddler analogy is close to correct.

I just keep repeating NO bending, lifting, twisting. Like a broken record. I think it's hard for her to not want to do normal things now that she is home and feeling a bit better.

I'm happy to be at home and trying to catch up on sleep. I still need to get up in the night to give Savannah her meds. It reminds me of when the girls were infants and getting up to feed them. I am actually afraid at this point of missing the dose time.

Thanks for all your advice. I'm not as young as I used to be and need to make some changes.

sharon

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

I am really glad to hear that she is doing so well!

Comment

Originally posted by KJUNGRL2
                      I am really glad to hear that she is doing so well!
                      Thanks so much. I appreciate it.

sharon

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

I'm so glad she is home and doing well. My best advice is to keep a medication journal noting when and what she took. I found as I started spreading doses out it got more confusing on whether I actually took a dose or not. Then i would postpone a dose just to be safe, sometimes not the best idea, since then I would discover that I hadn't taken a dose and had to play catch up on the pain level.

Also, about day 10-12 post op all of a sudden stairs were no problem and I moved all over the house quite well. I even threw away the walker they wanted me to use. Well actually it is sitting in the garage but I quit using it nonetheless.

I still don't have my full appetite back and am almost 4 months post op. I find I just can't eat like I used to. I just kept a lot of yogurt and cheese in hand to make sure my calcium intake was good. I ate/eat a lot of grilled chicken and sliced turkey for the protein too.
                        Give her a hug and let her know soon she will be back to her old self.
                        Geish
                        Geish
                        47 years old, dx at 13
                        +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
                        Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
                        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
                        http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
                        http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

Originally posted by Geish
                          I'm so glad she is home and doing well. My best advice is to keep a medication journal noting when and what she took. I found as I started spreading doses out it got more confusing on whether I actually took a dose or not. Then i would postpone a dose just to be safe, sometimes not the best idea, since then I would discover that I hadn't taken a dose and had to play catch up on the pain level.
                          Good advice! Although the dosing is simple now (two Percosets every four hours), we are going to have to taper that at some point. Which do you recommend, spacing out the two pills or going to one pill and keeping the schedule?

Also, about day 10-12 post op all of a sudden stairs were no problem and I moved all over the house quite well. I even threw away the walker they wanted me to use. Well actually it is sitting in the garage but I quit using it nonetheless.
                          Good for you for turning that corner!

Savannah can do some stairs. I walked almost a mile with her today but she was tired by the time we were back at the house. Still, rather than lie down, she is sitting and painting.

I still don't have my full appetite back and am almost 4 months post op. I find I just can't eat like I used to. I just kept a lot of yogurt and cheese in hand to make sure my calcium intake was good. I ate/eat a lot of grilled chicken and sliced turkey for the protein too.
                          Give her a hug and let her know soon she will be back to her old self.
                          Geish
                          Okay that's good to know. Savannah's appetite still hasn't really returned yet (we are one week out). She eats but has to limit the size of meals or else she gets nauseous.

Thanks so much for the well wishes! I'll send some to you too.

Best regards,
                          sharon
                          Last edited by Pooka1; 04-03-2008, 06:07 AM.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

I've never had percoset so I don't know how they work. I was on dilaudid every 2 hours if you can believe that and I just started extending the amount of time between between doses, first 4 hours then 6, then 8 then 12, then none! I was off of dilauded by day 13 I believe. I know I was off by the 28th (15 days) because that was my first follow up visit. I think after the second night at home being awakened all night I started cutting back.
                            Geish
                            47 years old, dx at 13
                            +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
                            Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
                            http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
                            http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

Originally posted by Geish
                              I've never had percoset so I don't know how they work. I was on dilaudid every 2 hours if you can believe that and I just started extending the amount of time between between doses, first 4 hours then 6, then 8 then 12, then none! I was off of dilauded by day 13 I believe. I know I was off by the 28th (15 days) because that was my first follow up visit. I think after the second night at home being awakened all night I started cutting back.
                              LOL! on that last line!

I'm not sure I could dose Savannah every 2 hours.

But getting back to the issue after reading that ( ), I see you increased the time between doses rather than decreased the dose but keeping the same time. I think we will try that when the time comes (NOT NOW!!!!!!!!).

Thanks.

sharon

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                              X