Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First day back to work tomorrow, first fall yesterday!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First day back to work tomorrow, first fall yesterday!!!

Hi Everyone,

Well i'm now 10 1/2 months post op and doing fairly well, still some muscle pain and right leg pain but ready to return to work I think. I was transfered from a 3rd 4th grade class to a pre K class where all the children are autistic. It will be very interesting tomorrow. Yesterday I took my first fall. I was walking and I stepped off a curb and rolled my foot. My daughters were very scared, as I was crying and I kept trying to tell them my back was fine it was my foot but they were just panicing and yelling for someone to go get help. I stayed on the ground until I was sure my back was OK and then I got up but couldn't put any weight on my foot. I went to the Dr. today and no broken bones just a bad sprain, so I will try and return to work tomorrow as scheduled. I think one of my biggest fears from this surgery was falling and now I can say I did fall and I was Ok. Wish me luck tomorrow as I go back to work, I hope it all goes well.
    Patty 51 years old
    Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
    Posterior T3- L4
    Pre surgery curves
    T-53degrees
    L-38degrees
    and a severe side shift to the right.
    Post surgery curves
    Less than 10 degrees
    Surgery April, 2006
    C4 - C6

Good luck at work today!!!

Ugh -- falling. I think we've all fallen at least once, and it's terrifying. My fall (in the bedroom, on carpet, at 6 months post-op) made me a bit overly cautious, I think, at least until I know my fusion is solid. The good news is that they say it takes a pretty severe jolt (like a car accident) to do any damage to the hardware.
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Patty--so glad you didn't hurt your back, but sorry about your foot! I haven't had a fall yet... fingers crossed that I don't! I was a bit paranoid/overly cautious this winter with the snow... so it will probably be some nice sunny day and I just misstep somehow.

PreK sounds pretty challenging because of getting down to their level-- and autistic changes even that picture. I'll be thinking of you today! What is your job with them? Are you working full days? I'm a couple of weeks ahead of you, recovery-wise, but also a fair amount older than you... I'm hoping you won't be feeling too exhausted by the end of the day, but regardless, it will undoubtedly feel good to sit down and have some time to yourself. Best wishes as your return to work! Let us know how it goes. Susie
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Hi Patty,

Falling is very scary, but many of us here have had one or two. I slipped on steps that were covered with pine needles, and I was afraid I had done some damage to my fusion and that was 2 years after my surgery and I ached like hell for weeks.

My reason for responding to this is really my experience with autisic children that I had about 10 years ago. And to be honest I don't know how to explain this. Just be careful!!! They are very strong and unpredictable!!!

Without going into details, my ribs were almost broken. I enjoyed every moment I had with Jason, and I wouldn't trade the experience, but I know I could not take the kind of blows I took from him now, that I took then.

You have all my blessings and thoughts,
        Shari

Comment

Well I made it through my first two days and after work, all I want to do is come home and lay down. This week I just need to observe the kids, next week i'll start working with them. There are a couple who will be hard for me as they flop on the floor and refuse to get up and we're suppost to get them on there feet and get them where they need to be. I told the teacher I could not physicaly move these kids yet (probably never) and she told me to just call for help. We will see how that goes over with the others although they all know what I went through.

Shari, Thanks for the advice I worked with autistic children last year also and my children and husband are not happy that I am going back to this type of work. I feel better going in with the 3 to 5 year olds and not the older kids but I still need to be careful.
          Patty 51 years old
          Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
          Posterior T3- L4
          Pre surgery curves
          T-53degrees
          L-38degrees
          and a severe side shift to the right.
          Post surgery curves
          Less than 10 degrees
          Surgery April, 2006
          C4 - C6

Comment