Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elysia's 7 week check up!!!!

Gidday Mates!! (Just for effect)

Yay!!!!! And the crowd let's out a cheer!!!!!! Today we had our FIRST appointment with our surgeon since the surgery! It's been a long wait!!!!

It's all good, good, good! She has gone from a Thoracic curve of 46 (finally got the number) down to 10!. He used Titanium rods (not Harrington like the dumbo radiologist had written in his report).

Also he did not use the pedicle screws only hooks because her bone structure was too petite - the smallest pedicle screw is 5mm and he said this posed to great a risk to use. The hooks are doing the job just fine.

The great EPIDURAL question - He used Epidural's ALL THE TIME for his Thoracic scoliosis patients. He said there was some risk, but it was minimal since the spine is exposed for surgery, they have a clear view of everything. He said they have found that the relief this gives to patients afterwards, far outways the risks. It is not different from the type used during birth, but obvioulsy it is higher up in the spine and doesn't affect movement of the body.

She has been cleared to go back to school, yay says mum, boo says Elysia!!
    (she's busy packing her bag right now!)

Also - he said that after 3 months 80% of the fusion has taken place, so that's the time period to be extra careful, after that your pretty right except for the contact sports and being stupid!!!! (This may only relate to kids who are growing at a very rapid pace - maybe it takes longer for adults??)

When I asked him will she beep through the security at airports, he just laughed and said "maybe". We'll give you a letter!!!!

Well that's about it, I felt like saying, let's go out for dinner and chat about all this for hours!!!!!

So raise your glasses folks - here's to Scoliosis Surgeons everywhere and the wonderful work they do with our kids! At last we can get on with our lives!!!!

Cheers
    Del
    xx
    Elysia 16 in Feb 2010
    Sydney - Australia
    Feb 2008 Fused T5-L1 and 5 ribs removed.
    Dec 2009 - Crankshafting
    Dec 10 - Revision surgery...3 vertebrae taken down, hooks removed, at T11-L1 - screws inserted, fusion extended down to
    L3 using Pedicle screws, some rib removed to try to derotate. Praying for things to settle.

Hi Del,

That's great news! I will surely raise a glass for you and Elysia

I always enjoy reading your colorful posts - and I'm sure it will be smooth sailing for Elysia from this point on!

Take care,
    mariaf305@yahoo.com
    Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
    Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Hooray!

That's wonderful, Del I'm excited for you and Elysia! I'm sure she'll enjoy "part" of going back to school-- just not doing the work. She'll probably be really glad to get back into the social aspect.

Keep us posted with all the Aussie antics you do so well at relating to us.
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Cheers! (and congratulations).
        Lisa
        Mom to Mackenzie
        diagnosed March 2007 at 28 degree thoracic, 40 degree lumbar
        August 2007 - 37 degree thoracic, 37 degree lumbar
        March 2008 - 39 degree thoracic, 37 degree lumbar

Comment

Del:
          That is really great news - great correction too. Hope all goes well from here for you all.
          Ruth
          Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

Great news for all of you. Terrific correction. How are Elysia's ribs doing? You said they would grow back. Does that happen this soon?

How long does the epidural stay in effect? Does it take the place of the morphine or is it only effective immediately post-op?

Other than going back to school (oh boo!), how is Elysia feeling about her back and the surgery?

flowergardenj

Comment

Little Flower! (Remember that from Bambi - LOL!) The ribs will grow back - I didn't actually ask him how soon, he just said they would but they will be flat instead of the natural roundness.

The epidural stayed in from Tuesday's Surgery at 1.00pm to Friday morning 6am - she had this AND the morphine pump - she needed the morphine pump when ever they moved her, other than that not really a lot. So you see the epidural wasn't like you would imagine with COMPLETE numbness.

Apparently it's rare in the states for Dr's to do this, but he said he does it for all his patients. He also does public work at the public hospital and I wonder if they also provide that service for the patients there??? Also it was SO strange that he NEVER mentioned this to us prior to surgery. Bloody hell, that would have relieved a lot of the stress!!!! We only found out through the anethetist morning of surgery that it was going to be done.

At this stage in life, Elysia is SO happy to have this all behind us. She has thoroughly enjoyed her time off school, her only annoyance is the restrictions in the sporting department and no running - she's a runner!!!!! No Cross Country and No Athletics Carnival either! No Horse Riding!

It's going to be hard yakka keeping her in line for a little longer - but our next appointment is at the end of June and I'm confident we will be given the green light for all activities then except the contact sports and perhaps the horse riding.

I hope I can post on here in years to come that everything is still all normal, no problems, no complications down the track etc etc - I'll keep those prayers heading upwards to ensure it's all good.

Cheerio Omigo's!
              Del
              Elysia 16 in Feb 2010
              Sydney - Australia
              Dec 2009 - Crankshafting
              Dec 10 - Revision surgery...3 vertebrae taken down, hooks removed, at T11-L1 - screws inserted, fusion extended down to
              L3 using Pedicle screws, some rib removed to try to derotate. Praying for things to settle.

Comment

Del, congratulations to you and Elysia! Big big cyberhugs to both of you. Remember that the "fun" hasn't ended yet. It's bad enough to deal with the rollercoaster of emotions associated with adolescence, but she'll be dealing with the joys and frustrations of recovering from her surgery which will make those hills and valleys of emotion bigger. It's always so amazing how resilient kids are.

A thought and curiosity just occured to me, have you all ever been to Australia Zoo? Here's something else - if you haven't looked at it yet, check out Google Earth. It's so cool to see places you've been or heard about from the air.

Comment

Hey Slice Baby,

Your obviously in OZ - since your online at this time and know about Australia Zoo!!!! No we haven't been - only been to Sunshine coast once - theme park holiday and then Cairns a couple of years ago - looovvved that - it was fantastic snorkelling on the Great Barrier Reef!!! Elysia so wants to do that again in a hurry and so do I.

Yes, Google Earth all the time!!! It's amazing to travel all over the world and have a look up close of places. It's amazing!!!!!!

Back to school tomorrow and I think the first few days will go well while everyone "fusses" over the return!!!! But am expecting a big low when the novelty wears off and she's back into it full force. Don't know how she's going to go sitting for such long periods, she won't take a pillow tomorrow to lean back on, so I can't force but will let her dictate things for a few weeks.

I'm sooo happy at the moment, sure hope I stay that way!!!

This site is what I call my virtual coffee shop - where I make myself a coffee and sit down and have a chat with "friends".

Thanks everyone for your good wishes!

Del
                  xx
                  Elysia 16 in Feb 2010
                  Sydney - Australia
                  Dec 2009 - Crankshafting

Comment

Post note to Slice Baby - No your not an Aussie - you said you had your surgery in USA in previous post! I get it - You must be a Steve Irwin Loving Insomniac!!!!
                    Elysia 16 in Feb 2010
                    Sydney - Australia
                    Dec 2009 - Crankshafting

Comment

Del,
                      I can't speak for anyone else, but my family loves Steve Irwin! We watched his shows all the time and I recently read his book, which I think was written by his wife Terri.

Congrats on the great news for Elysia! I'm surprised that she is allowed to do as much as she is already. I thought Jamie's doctor was being extra caution with her restrictions because she doesn't have pedicle screws either. Maybe it was because of her long fusion or just the normal practice of her doctor. I may have missed it somewhere, but how far is she fused?

Good luck with making sure she doesn't do anything she isn't allowed to do!

Mary Lou
                      Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

That reminds me, Del ...

My 7 weeks post-op (actually, at 8 weeks) is tomorrow. I gotta get my questions organized!
                        Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                        AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                        Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                        Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                        EMAIL ME

Comment

Woohoo for Elyshia and mom! Doing the happy dance. Great news and I'm happy to hear she is ready (like it or not) to go back to school. Hopefully she doesn't fatigue too easily. We'll be anxious to hear how she does. Braydon had a rib removed with his fusion surgery as an infant. Within 6 weeks it had grown back. The older you are, the longer it takes to re-grow bone, but my guess is she'll notice the bone growth in the next month. I'm anxious to SEE her back when she's all nice and healed.

Braydon has had three epidurals for pain control. Once with his clubfoot repair as an infant (9 months old) and twice with his tethered cord release surgeries. Those recoveries have been his smoothest yet. The epidural allows continuous meds in the right place to keep them comfortable those first day/days after surgery while their body heals. I know of several orthos here in the states who use epidurals for scoliosis surgery. I don't think its as uncommon as mentioned earlier. Here is just one example showing epidurals used for scoliosis surgery. It is on the FAQs page of iscoliosis.com. http://www.iscoliosis.com/articles-pain.html

Sending more healing vibes to Elysia.
                          Carmell
                          mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Del, that's so great!

I didn't realize spines can be expected to fuse so much so quickly! Wow.

And I totally agree that these surgeons are amazing. Must be nice for them knowing that can do so much good. I just keep thinking about that after Savannah came out of surgery and the surgeon spoke with us.

Elysia must be very happy with her new back.

Best regards,
                            sharon
                            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                            X