A Slight Lean After Surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Slight Lean After Surgery?

Hi everyone. About a week and a half ago I had spinal fusion surgery for my 50 degree thoracolumbar curve. According to my doctor, my curve was somewhat atypical as it was a very long, sweeping "C" curve and was unusually flexible (as shown in the bending xrays). Anyway, I was fused from T5 to L3 and the surgery was a success. Xrays showed that I had nearly complete correction, which is awesome!! However, before surgery my doctor did warn us that I may curve underneath the fused vertebrae or lean a bit (I guess he technically could've fused farther but he wanted to save my flexibility and hoped everything underneath the fusion would straighten out). Though my xrays right after surgery looked amazing, it seems to me like I am leaning slightly. Maybe it's just normal because one can't really expect 100% correction, but I'm still kind of worried. My doctor said that if I did lean, he would probably give me a post-op brace to wear for a while. And, though I'd rather not think of it, if I did curve under the fusion he may (at last resort) have to extend the fusion a bit further even though he really doesn't want to. I'd rather not go through surgery again, it was tough enough the first time around. I was just wondering if any of y'all have had a similar experience to this. I'm not terribly worried but it's just something in the back of my mind. Thanks so much.
    Nicole//18 years old, college sophomore//50 degree thoracolumbar curve//Posterior Spinal Fusion in 2008, Fused T5 to L3

Nicole, it took Elysia quite a few weeks to "straighten out" and if you look at my other posts you will see the full story there.

I wouldn't stress at this point, just give yourself some time to heal and let your body "re-adjust" itself into it's new position. Many here will tell you that their doctors told them it can take a while for your muscles to get used to their new position.

Take care of yourself!
    Del
    xx
    Elysia 16 in Feb 2010
    Sydney - Australia
    Feb 2008 Fused T5-L1 and 5 ribs removed.
    Dec 2009 - Crankshafting
    Dec 10 - Revision surgery...3 vertebrae taken down, hooks removed, at T11-L1 - screws inserted, fusion extended down to
    L3 using Pedicle screws, some rib removed to try to derotate. Praying for things to settle.

Comment

I have the lean too. I'm not gunna worry about trying to correct it though until I'm a little further along in the healing process... so I guess I'd advise the same for you?

I think as Aussiemum said, it's just part of your body readjusting to everything

Comment

I know I was still leaning some when I went to physical therapy at 6 months post-op. It wasn't bad, but was still there. Those muscles have to unlearn what they've been doing for years (and years and years, in my case!). I also tipped forward a little... I think I'm really quite straight now. My physical therapist said to practice standing in front of mirror so you could see what looked right and get used to the feel of it. You girls will do fine-- but you might want to practice a little to begin with by looking in a full length mirror.
        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

I'm almost 3 weeks post-op now (it went by fast O__o; <- ; is a sweat drop by the way =) ) and I still have a lean, in my opinion it's as if I have scoliosis in the opposite direction, my shoulders are off center, as are my hips, and ribs, but all in the opposite direction than they were before, and I do believe it's all due to the shock that the body had to go through, it's supposed to take about 3-6 months to fully straighten out? I posted about it as soon as I felt up to getting on the computer (confused/scared) and that's what they said there. So don't worry about it, it's just your muscles re-adjusting =) wow it's so weird to be giving advice as opposed to seeking it xD. Good luck with your recovery!
          we just get to experience it all =) scoliosis to one side, then to the other, and straight again!
          Pre-Op:
          UT-35*. T-55*, L-30*
          16 year old girl
          Fusion- T5- T12 on March 17th 2008
          Post-OP:
          UT-27*, T/L-very straight : ]

Comment

Working...
          X