X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dental work

Hi,

I was just wondering what people have been told
    about dental work and pre-medication after surgery?
    I am 2 years post-op and have only had cleanings
    since my surgery. I'm seeing a new dentist who is
    concerned about this. My surgeon says it's not necessary.
    Is that pretty much the consensus?

Thanks, dianeh.
    ant./post. fusion Jan. '06
    T3- sacrum
    dbl.curve, T47,L43

Hi Dianeh,

I was told that I will require antibiotics prior to any dental work for the rest of my life once I have metal implants in my spine since there is always the risk of bacteria entering your system during dental procedures.

Chris

Comment

Mine said for 2 years...* I've been taking 4 Amoxicillin 500.mg one hour before dental work -- including cleanings. It sure wouldn't hurt to take it for life. I guess there's a ton of bacteria released when they clean your teeth, etc. Gross!!!

*He also said that was playing it safe-- that was in line with what hip/knee replacement surgeons usually recommend... and it probably wasn't necessary with spinal fusion w/instrumentation people. I think that supports what Pam found.
      Last edited by Susie*Bee; 03-28-2008, 08:47 AM. Reason: add asterisk info
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

My surgeon said it wasn't really necessary, but my dentist said he'd rather be "safe than sorry" and pre-medicate me with antibiotics, so that's what I did. I figure I don't take a ton of antibiotics otherwise, so I'm not really at risk for them to becoming ineffective.
        2000 34*L/39*T
        2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
        (initially planned T4-L1)
        12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

I was told to take four 500-mg. amoxicillins before each and every dental procedure for a total of five years post-op.
          Chris
          A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
          Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
          Post-op curve: 12 degrees
          Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Originally posted by dianeh
            I was just wondering what people have been told about dental work and pre-medication after surgery? I am 2 years post-op and have only had cleanings since my surgery. I'm seeing a new dentist who is concerned about this. My surgeon says it's not necessary. Is that pretty much the consensus?
            My collection of "bonus" body parts over the years include/have included:
            • I have titanium/Vitallium fusion hardware (7.5 weeks old); and
            • I have stainless screws in my right ankle; and
            • I had stainless screws in my right knee (now removed), and
            • I even have a ventriculo-peritoneal (VP) shunt for communicating hydrocephalus

No ortho, scoli surgeon or neurosurgeon has ever recommended I need prophylactic antibiotics (i.e., pre-medication) prior to dental work. The one or two dentists who ever suggested I did were just doing CYA (and dropped the issue after a simple verification with the relevant M.D.).

I just did a quick run through of PubMed and pulled all I could find on antibiotic prophylaxis: There's still some question whether it's still standard for endocarditis, joint replacement recipients (and even one article on those with penile implants!), but nothing specific to spinal fusion (or any of its alternate monikers).

Out of the data my queries returned, it seems joint replacement would be most similar, and even those with total joint replacements aren't routinely pre-treated these days. Here are a few links that might be of use:

from Dentistry.com

American Dental Association

I've got a lunch date with an orthodontist buddy at noon: I'll call him in just a bit and see if he can find anything I missed specifically related to spinal fusion and report back here later today.

If they barely require it after joint replacements (and then, only in high risk patients) and not after (even immediately after) major neurosurgery, it would seem there's not much of a risk after spinal fusion.

Personally, I routinely refuse antibiotics without a valid reason. Overuse (and unfinished treatment rounds) have only served to create stronger, antibiotic resistant bacteria (i.e., MRSA, VRE),

My 7 weeks follow-up (actually at 8 weeks) is scheduled with Hanson next Tuesday. I'll be sure to add this question to my list.

BTW, the date next Tuesday is ... April 1st (evil laugh). This should be a fun visit as I excitedly describe how much fun I had water skiing all weekend - and what a great job he must have done because I wasn't even sore afterwards!

He half suspects I'm a maniac *anyway*, so my guess is I can get a few seconds of shock out of him .

(You gotta seize your amusement when and where you can!)

Regards,
            Pam
            Last edited by txmarinemom; 03-28-2008, 08:55 AM. Reason: ... fat fingers/under-caffeinated ... *sigh
            Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
            AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
            Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
            Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
            EMAIL ME

Comment

There's still some question whether it's still standard for endocarditis, joint replacement recipients (and even one article on those with penile implants!), but nothing specific to spinal fusion (or any of its alternate monikers).
              My gastroenterologist said the newest recommendations from the cardiologists say it's no longer recommended for persons having cardiac issues who also have assorted joint implants.
              Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
              Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Originally posted by Karen Ocker
                My gastroenterologist said the newest recommendations from the cardiologists say it's no longer recommended for persons having cardiac issues who also have assorted joint implants.
                Yeah, I actually saw some other article/studies after I posted to that effect (there are really very few cases where it's warranted anymore ... it appears the patient must be *extremely* high risk).

Protocol has certainly changed!

I worked for a dentist all through high school (early to mid-'80's), and they routinely pre-treated TONS of patients (even before cleanings) who'd had rheumatic fever to lower the risk of endocarditis.

Regards,
                Pam
                Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                EMAIL ME

Comment

I was told my daughter needed to be pre-medicated as a precaution for one year post-op and only for things that would/could cause bleeding.

My mom, however is pre-medicated before every dental appointment and I think she is even pre-medicated for things like having heart stents placed. She does so because she has artificial knee joints.

Pam,
                  Enjoy the look on your doctor's face on Tuesday. My youngest daughter was born on April 1st (no kidding, I'm serious) which by the way was her due date. At the time, I had a 19 1/2 month old daughter at home and my dad called everyone he knew and told them I had twins! I couldn't imagine having three children under that age of two!

Mary Lou
                  Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Pam, you're so bad! My kind of woman!
                    Becky, 46 years old
                    Diagnosed at 13 with mild scoliosis
                    Ignored until 448/07
                    Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
                    Right thorocolumbar 60* T11-L4
                    Surgery Monday, June 9, 2008 Oklahoma Spine Hospital
                    Fused T-10 to L-5
                    14 titanium pedicle screws
                    Corrected to approx. 10* YEA!!!
                    Email

Comment

loves to skate

I love Pam's sense of humor also.
                      I had a cardiology consult as part of my pre-op as I was diagnosed with prolapsed mitral valve more than 20 years ago and was supposed to take antibiotics prior to dental work and refused after getting a yeast infection every time. As it turns out the Cardiologist said I was right not to take the antibiotics. It is no longer recommended. And, he did a repeat echo cardiogram and I don't have prolapsed mitral valve after all. Pam is correct about overuse of antibiotics causing super bugs. By the way, general usage of antimicrobial hand soaps also contributes to creating super bugs. Just my two cents worth.
                      Sally
                      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Dental work

Thanks everyone for replying to my question. I'm going to pre-medicate for
                        my procedure next week while I think this over a bit.
                        dianeh
                        ant./post. fusion Jan. '06
                        T3- sacrum
                        dbl.curve, T47,L43

Comment

Working...
                        X