Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!

I have an appointment with my surgeon this afternoon at 3 to discuss the results of the myelogram and bone density scan, and I suspect we will be discussing surgery dates. Because I'm the world's BIGGEST procrastinator, I only have 5 or 6 questions ready to ask. I would be so grateful for any pre-op questions you found helpful. I think part of the problem is I just don't know what to ask, and the other part of the problem is I'm really nervous. I've waited a long time for today to get here and now that it's here, I'm a wreck. Once a plan of action is made I'll be fine, it's the not knowing what he will suggest that's getting to me. Yes, I'm a big freak, but I embrace my freakyness! I'm going to try to add my email address to my signature so you won't have to mess with the character limit on the PM's.

Thank you all so much. Just knowing you all care and are here helps so much.

PS-I added my email address to my signature as a link. Thanks!
    Last edited by skoshi314; 03-27-2008, 10:20 AM. Reason: Email added
    Becky, 46 years old
    Diagnosed at 13 with mild scoliosis
    Ignored until 448/07
    Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
    Right thorocolumbar 60* T11-L4
    Surgery Monday, June 9, 2008 Oklahoma Spine Hospital
    Fused T-10 to L-5
    14 titanium pedicle screws
    Corrected to approx. 10* YEA!!!
    Email

Becky,

I found this list helpful.
    http://www.spine-health.com/blog/38-...g-back-surgery

Comment

Thank you so much, Chris. They're wonderful!
      Becky, 46 years old
      Ignored until 448/07
      Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
      Fused T-10 to L-5
      Email

Comment

Good luck today!

Becky-- I know where you're comin' from! I don't remember if you have the David Wolpert book or not, but it has some questions to ask in it... I would imagine some basic ones are regarding what your doctor plans to do in the surgery (how many levels, approach, any other procedures like osteotomies, etc.), estimated length of surgery, how long he thinks you'll be in the hospital, will you need to donate blood for yourself, will he do bone grafting--and if so- from where, when/if you need to stop taking any meds you currently take, what home equipment he recommends you get ahead of time, etc.

Let us know how it goes! You'll do fine.
        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Originally posted by Susie*Bee
          Becky-- I know where you're comin' from! I don't remember if you have the David Wolpert book or not, but it has some questions to ask in it... I would imagine some basic ones are regarding what your doctor plans to do in the surgery (how many levels, approach, any other procedures like osteotomies, etc.), estimated length of surgery, how long he thinks you'll be in the hospital, will you need to donate blood for yourself, will he do bone grafting--and if so- from where, when/if you need to stop taking any meds you currently take, what home equipment he recommends you get ahead of time, etc.

Let us know how it goes! You'll do fine.
          Of course! I do have the book but it's been a while since I read it and hadn't even thought of it. Thank you so much!

You know, I keep waffling back and forth between being afraid he will say "Yes, let do surgery" and the next minute I'm afraid he'll say "No, we're not doing surgery". I'm just ready to have a plan.

Thanks for the well wishes. I'd appreciate any calm thoughts you can send my way.
          Becky, 46 years old
          Ignored until 448/07
          Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
          Fused T-10 to L-5
          Email

Comment

Becky,
            Let me know how the appointment goes. I will be thinking of you today and I hope you get the answer you want regarding surgery. My surgeon said we could do the surgery but that I could wait up to 5 years if I wanted to. I opted to do it sooner rather than later because I knew I was only going to get older and get worse. I figured the younger the better for me. Good luck!
            Alicia
            Geish
            47 years old, dx at 13
            +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
            Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
            http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
            http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

One thing I asked my Dr. at the end of my 1 st appt. was "Anything I missed that I need to know about?" At that point in time I hadn't been on the forum for long and didn't have a list of questions or the knowledge to ask the pertinent ones. Any questions you come up with after your appt. you could call the Dr's. asst. or post them here. You will get them all answered eventually, so don't stress. We are here for you. Best wishes. Suzy

Comment

Originally posted by Geish
                Becky,
                Let me know how the appointment goes. I will be thinking of you today and I hope you get the answer you want regarding surgery. My surgeon said we could do the surgery but that I could wait up to 5 years if I wanted to. I opted to do it sooner rather than later because I knew I was only going to get older and get worse. I figured the younger the better for me. Good luck!
                Alicia
                Thanks Alicia,
                I will definately post the outcome of the visit. As far as the answer regarding surgery, I don't really know what I want the answer to be. I'm just going to have faith that everything will happen the way it's supposed to. And I agree that younger is definately better. I have good insurance right now and in this day and age, you never know when that my change!

Originally posted by Suzy
                One thing I asked my Dr. at the end of my 1 st appt. was "Anything I missed that I need to know about?" At that point in time I hadn't been on the forum for long and didn't have a list of questions or the knowledge to ask the pertinent ones. Any questions you come up with after your appt. you could call the Dr's. asst. or post them here. You will get them all answered eventually, so don't stress. We are here for you. Best wishes. Suzy
                Thanks, Suzy. That's a great idea to ask him to fill in the gaps. After all, he is the expert! Thank you for the good thoughts!
                Becky, 46 years old
                Ignored until 448/07
                Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
                Fused T-10 to L-5
                Email

Comment

Working...