• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Savannah is through surgery

I found a computer here... Savannah came through is great shape

T4-L1

less than 5 hours.

Didn't need blood beyond the stuff they collected/filtered/sorted/whatever during the procedure.

When she was awake, her father went into ICU first and she was a little loopy. And thirsty. Then I went in and she seemed better. She kept asking for a pillow and her sister. Over and over.

They told me only parents can come in to ICU but I begged her to let her twin in since Savannah kept asking for her. They finally let Willow in!

I'm staying with Savannah tonight. I'll be at the hospital each day, all day, except for a few hours in the afternoon to go home, shower, and pick Willow up from school and bring her home or to the hospital.

It's as good as it gets on all counts. I was fine until the surgeon came in to say it went perfectly. Then I got a little misty but not too bad. I just thanked him and shook his hand. Seemed so inadequate for how much he helped Savannah.

Thanks again to everyone here for the good wishes. I appreciate it.

sharon
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Super!!!

So glad to hear it went well. I've never seen their names in print before-- just S and W, so it was fun to see what their real names are. Hope you get a little rest amongst all the busyness. Keep us updated when you get the chance.
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Congratulations! You must be relieved that the surgery is finally over. Barring any complications her recovery should be a breeze. Give her my best wishes and tell her I said "welcome to the other side!"
      Alicia
      Geish
      47 years old, dx at 13
      +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
      Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
      http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
      http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

Sharon:
        Glad to hear the operation went well. Hope Savannah has a quick recovery.
        Ruth
        Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

Sharon,

Welcome to the other side! Try to sleep whenever Savannah sleeps. Keep yourself well hydrated and don't forget to eat!

Mary Lou
          Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

That is great, I'm so happy for you. Lets hope for a quick recovery and short hospital stay.
            Patty 51 years old
            Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
            Posterior T3- L4
            Pre surgery curves
            T-53degrees
            L-38degrees
            and a severe side shift to the right.
            Post surgery curves
            Less than 10 degrees
            Surgery April, 2006
            C4 - C6

Comment

I am so glad it went well. I wish her a speedy recovery.
              Melissa
              From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
              Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Glad to hear the op went well. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Anne
                Mum to Annessa, age 15
                53 degree thoracic curve down to 10 degrees.
                Date of surgery: 7th Feb 2008
                Edinburgh, Sick Kids
                Fused T4 - L1

Comment

Congratulations on a successful, uncomplicated surgery - hope Savannahs recovery goes well also.

Renee

Comment

I'm glad it went well. I hope her recovery is fast and smooth!
                    daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
                    -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
                    -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
                    -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

So glad to hear it's over and went well. All good wishes for a swift recuperation--and Mary Lou is right: take care of yourself, too!

Mary Ellen

Comment

Best wishes to you daughter for a speedy recovery. I’m sure it’s a big sigh of relief for you.

Take care,

Comment

Sharon,

I'm so glad to hear Savannah's surgery went well. It always brings tears to my eyes to read about kids who've had surgery - even when it's good. It makes me so grateful to have an otherwise healthy child. Every time Mackenzie and I go to Childrens LA, we see kids who are really sick. It's been eye-opening for her especially and it has made her grateful for her health.

I'll keep you all in my prayers! I'm so glad they let Willow in to be with her sister. Twins have such a special bond - and I'm sure she will play a huge role in Savannah's recovery!

Lisa
                          Mom to Mackenzie, 14
                          37 degree lumbar, 39 degree thoracic curves
                          Lisa
                          Mom to Mackenzie
                          diagnosed March 2007 at 28 degree thoracic, 40 degree lumbar
                          August 2007 - 37 degree thoracic, 37 degree lumbar
                          March 2008 - 39 degree thoracic, 37 degree lumbar

Comment

Hi,

I sure can emphasize with you because my daughter's surgery is so fresh in my memory. Today is Kim's one week surgery "anniversary" and I am so relieved that the operation is over.

My only advice is to make your daughter does her breathing exercises with a spirometer or whatever device they are using there. Kim had a high fever on the second night and I found out that we should have had her doing more breathing excercises during the day. I'm not sure how much of that contributed to her high fever since I hear it is not uncommon to have a fever, but I wanted to share this information.

Kim is doing very well, sleeping a lot between activities - I am actually surpised on how well she is moving around. Kids are amazing!

Congratulations on the surgery being over,
                            ca-native (daughter had surgery)

Comment

Elaine,

That is great advice. Kim's x-ray looks great. I wish her all the best.
                              Melissa
                              From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
                              Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Working...
                              X