Pain 8 years after surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pain 8 years after surgery

Greetings. I had my surgery at age 16, which was 8 years ago. I had harrington rods put in for ideopathic three-dimensional scoliosis. At the time, I did not have any other method (exercise, brace, physical therapy) to assist. I have always since then had problems with my back, but never so bad as lately. For the past two years I have been experiencing extreme crippling pain in my lower back. I lost my job over the back problems a year and a half ago, and I recieved unemployment for a short time but now I am broke, without income, and confined to my bed nearly all the time while I wait until I can get medical coverage. (which if there is no problems might start in a few more days I hope) While I still had my job I saw a orthopedist and he mentioned that he saw on the x-ray that one rod was longer than the other, quite a bit longer actually and may require surgery.

My questions are:

1. Does anyone else here have three-dimensional Scoliosis?
    2. Has anyone else (three-dimensional or not) experienced such extreme problems after surgery?
    3. Has anyone else had the spinal fusion without physical therapy afterwards? (and how are you doing?)
    4. Has anyone else had problems with harrington rods being too long, or had one that had to be shortend because it was quite a bit longer than the other?
    5. Are there any charities that might help me get a laptop? Being confined to my bed I don't have anything to do and no money. I am pretty limited on how long I can sit in a chair to search the internet to find one.

Thanks for listening, but the chair is being rather unfriendly at the moment, and I must lie down.

Mink

Edit: Forgot to mention, fusion was from C4 (I think, I know it was a cervical fusion though)-L4, with approximately 47 degree curves upper and lower. Never found out how much it twisted though.
    Last edited by Mink; 06-30-2004, 12:26 AM.
Working...
X