Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GoodSearch Video

Hi-
    I have created a video for the GoodSearch YouTube Contest, it is called "I GoodSearch for The Shriners Hospital for Children Philadelphia"
    For those of you who aren't familiar with GoodSearch, it is a search engine, powered by Yahoo, and each time you use it money is donated to the charity of your choice (usually a penny per search or so).

I hope you like the Video - and if it wins $100 will be donated to the Philadelphia Shriners Hospital for Children.

Thanks for watching!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtJCSUOrKvo

(and it does start out similar to the Vertebral Stapling Awareness Video, but this one also focuses on the Shriners)

-Cara
    Cara, Mom to Nathan
    Diagnosed 24 deg. in July 2007, progressed to 38 deg. by August 2007
    Boston Back Brace 8/07 – 12/07
    VBS 12/10/07 Boston Children's Hospital
    Dr. Hresko
    40 Degrees before VBS
    11 Degrees now!! (2012)

Nathan's VBS Video

www.vertebralstapling.com

Great job, Cara!!!
    mariaf305@yahoo.com
    Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
    Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Cara,
      What a great video! Is your son in it?
      Lori

Mom to Christopher, age 17, Mark, 13, Heather, 10 and Michael, 8
      Chris had surgery with Dr. John Flynn at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia on December 12, 2007. He is fused T4 to L4.
      Dr. Flynn is an AMAZING surgeon!

Comment

Great video. Hope it inspires people to pursue this treatment.

Wish we hadn't missed the boat on this one - Esme's surgeon told us this was only done on legs when I asked about it. At the time her curves were T42, L38 and she would likely have been eligible. Pretty unforgiveable on his part I'd say!!

Ruth
        Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

Originally posted by rtremb
          Great video. Hope it inspires people to pursue this treatment.

Wish we hadn't missed the boat on this one - Esme's surgeon told us this was only done on legs when I asked about it. At the time her curves were T42, L38 and she would likely have been eligible. Pretty unforgiveable on his part I'd say!!

Ruth
          Hi Ruth,

I'm sorry to hear you were misinformed by your doctor and I don't blame you one bit for finding it unforgiveable. Doctors have an obligation to stay up to date on the latest treatments in a field that they practice in! Sadly, a lot of them do not. In fact, that's the precise point of the work that several of us moms, including Cara, have committed to. The videos, the VBS website, recent stories that ran in newspapers, etc. are all to raise awareness regarding VBS.

We want to educate parents and also doctors, because there are far too many of them who don't realize how far VBS has come and how successful it has been and that it is a viable option for a lot of kids.

Take care,
          mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by LorDon
            Cara,
            What a great video! Is your son in it?
            Hi Yes, he is the opening shot - that is his back at the beginning, and then me and my husband with him in the hospital.......and then him snowboarding at 7 weeks. Also, he was the patient with Dr. Hresko & Dr. Betz
            We are extremely grateful that he was able to have this surgery - it was the best thing for him!!
            Thanks!
            -Cara
            Cara, Mom to Nathan
            Dr. Hresko
            40 Degrees before VBS
            11 Degrees now!! (2012)

Nathan's VBS Video

Comment

Cara,
              Your son is so cute and his back looks fantastic! I am amazed that he was snowboarding at 7 weeks. I wish this had been an option for my son. I would have moved heaven and earth to avoid a spinal fusion.
              Lori

Mom to Christopher, age 17, Mark, 13, Heather, 10 and Michael, 8
              Chris had surgery with Dr. John Flynn at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia on December 12, 2007. He is fused T4 to L4.
              Dr. Flynn is an AMAZING surgeon!

Comment

Update

Hi-
                Thanks everyone for watching & rating for our Shriners GoodSearch Video - unfortunatly we did not win this week - but maybe next week!!

Nathan wanted to make a video for the GoodSearch contest for Children's Hospital Boston. As you would guess - it is a much funnier version of why HE is grateful to Children's Hospital.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuEfsQLkZj4

I promise it won't take away from the Shriners. If either one wins - I will donate the equal amount to the one that doesn't SO please rate them 5 Stars. THANKS!!!!!!
                -Cara
                Cara, Mom to Nathan
                Dr. Hresko
                40 Degrees before VBS
                11 Degrees now!! (2012)

Nathan's VBS Video

Comment

Votes are tallied on ...?

Cara,

I didn't realize it was a weekly vote ... cool!

So now that I know we can vote every week, on what day do they tally votes? (just wanto to make sure I get mine in each week!)

You did SUCH a great job on this, girlfriend. I still can't watch either version of the video without getting misty eyed .

And, Ruth, like Maria, I am so sorry you and Esme weren't given the information on - and option of - VBS.

I truly wish it had been available in '79 when I was diagnosed ... I was also probably an ideal candidate (I was 10 - 4 years pre-menarche - and 30-35°).

All we can do now is make sure more patients and doctors are aware it's available so future patients have a choice ...

Regards,
                  Pam
                  Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                  AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                  Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                  Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                  EMAIL ME

Comment

Pam,

You raised a good point (and maybe Cara knows the definite answer) but I was under the impression that it's not the votes by viewers that predict the winner - but rather a panel of judges.

That being said, it cant' hurt for folks to view both videos (cara's and nate's) and to rate them 5 stars!
                    mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

Working...
                    X