3 months later!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 months later!!

Hey all, I had a visit with my surgeon today, I'm heading back to California on Sunday to get settled in before I start school again on Mar. 31. It reminded me that I never showed you all how great my new back looks! I hope the pictures turned out ok, I think it looks even better in person!

I had to add a picture of my head in there too, cause I thought it was weird to see two pictures of someones naked back, and not know what they look like.

I hope that everyone on here reading this is doing well, I feel pretty great. I get tired easily, but now that I will have access to gym equipment, and I got the go-ahead from my surgeon, I should be getting fit in no time!

I am just so happy that the worst is over with, and will be getting back to my future. The hardest part of this for me was being away from school for a quarter, missing all my friends and so forth. I got depressed sometimes thinking about the fact that "life" was going on without me while I watched re-runs of America's Next Top Model on VH1. All in all, I am happy that I had the surgery, and if I do get sad, I just remember that I am a more powerful person because of what I've been through.

If I didn't have scoliosis, I would not have met most of the people I know now, I would not be going to Palmer West to become a Chiropractor, and I would never be as strong and as confident as I am now.

Roseann
    2001 T-sp 58* L-sp 55*
    2007 T-sp 64* L-sp 67*
    Surgery Dec. 21 2007
    Posterior fusion T3 to L3

It's so good that you did well at your three month mark, and are feeling positive right now! Getting back to sunny california will be nice, and you can get into the pool! (we all know how much I love the pool!). Your back looks so much straighter, and I know you've said before how much better your clothes fit. It's a really exciting time now that the major hurdles are over and you can start to participate more in the life that was going on without you while you were out of action! Your lucky that you had your surgery over winter, so this summer you can participate in all the fun things that seem to only happen over summer! Parties and things!

I had a milestone yesterday at the gym, I managed to increase my weights, and go for a while on the treadmill without getting too sore. Plus the pool work has been getting quite easy and I'm feeling like swimming properly now. I'm following the PT's instructions exactly, because I don't want to overdo it and have a setback. I'm starting to get into the studying again, it took a while for the motivation to return even though I was physically ok. I think it takes a while for that to come back! I guess if I couldn't face a novel, I couldn't really face an academic article!
    1994 curve at age 13, 70 degrees, untreated
    2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
    2007 26 degrees junctional scoliosis
    Revision surgery, 6th December 2007 T4 to L3, Posterior approach.
    msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

loves to skate

Hi Roseann,
      It was so nice to put a face and back to the first person who responded to my first post. Thank you. God gave you a very difficult challenge at a very young age. You faced that challenge and you definitely are a better and stronger person because of it. Best wishes to you in school and your newly reclaimed life. God Bless you.
      Sally
      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Beautiful!

I just have to say... your incision looks amazing! It looks so clean and straight, and like it's healing wonderfully. Mine is quite a bit a older than yours (7 years) but it's a bit more bumpy and crooked. I had a hematoma (sp?) where part of my incision split open and I bled for about a week from this TINY hole (old blood from the surgery, not fresh blood from my body) and there are some bigger sections to my scar. Your back looks just lovely, congratulations!
        lisanicolegrace
        29/F/Canada
        Surgery - 11/10/2000
        80° curve to 19° post op.
        www.lisanicolegrace.com
        @lisanicolegrace
        facebook
        x-rays
        picture of my back

Comment

Hooray, Rosie!

Hey, Rosie-- I am so excited for you, heading back to school and all. It's been a long three months... but your back looks terrific, and you've got one great smile too! Thanks for including the face pic! And you have such a great attitude. Keep us posted with your progress from time to time. I know you are going to be one busy gal once you get back into the school and friend scene. Best wishes for a great spring quarter and continued great recovery! Hugs, Susie
          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Roseann,

Congratulations on a very successful spinal correction outcome and best wishes to you in your chiropractic endeavor. Wish I was headed to California. Tomorrow’s forecast calls for 8 inches of snow here in northern Illinois. Will it ever end?

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by rosie1108
              I had to add a picture of my head in there too, cause I thought it was weird to see two pictures of someones naked back, and not know what they look like.
              That's AWESOME, Roseann! I am still giggling about the head comment. I sometimes think I could identify most on here by their backs or x-rays, yet be standing right next to them and have no clue who they are!

Regards,
              Pam
              Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
              AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
              Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
              Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
              EMAIL ME

Comment

Wow Rosie, you look fantastic - and very pretty too I might add!!!!
                You have something shiny on your scar - I'm presuming that you are using something to help with the fading?? Is that Mederma cream??
                Have fun back at school and watch out for the boys!!!!!
                Hugs
                Del
                Elysia 16 in Feb 2010
                Sydney - Australia
                Feb 2008 Fused T5-L1 and 5 ribs removed.
                Dec 2009 - Crankshafting
                Dec 10 - Revision surgery...3 vertebrae taken down, hooks removed, at T11-L1 - screws inserted, fusion extended down to
                L3 using Pedicle screws, some rib removed to try to derotate. Praying for things to settle.

Comment

I'll have to watch out for the boys...

I'll have to watch out for the boys, because I'm married!!

Yeah, I was using mederma all the time, but it was giving me a little itchy irritation. I still use it, but not 3-4x per day like the instructions say. I apply vitamin e oil to it twice a day, throwing a little mederma in there every so often just for kicks.

I don't know who sewed me up, it wasn't my surgeon... I think it was a resident who assisted during the surgery. I'm happy he did such a good job! It is wider at the top and bottom, but some parts of the middle are nearly gone, looks like a dashed line.

After my mom dies (which I'm hoping is not any time soon) I'll be able to get that zipper pull tattoo- she'd kill me if I did it now, so I guess it is her or me.

And Chris, I grew up in Seattle, so I know how much the same weather everyday can wear on you. Believe it or not, I get tired of the 75 degree weather they have almost daily in San Jose between February and October. I have to wear sunscreen every stinking day!

Rosie
                  2001 T-sp 58* L-sp 55*
                  2007 T-sp 64* L-sp 67*
                  Surgery Dec. 21 2007
                  Posterior fusion T3 to L3

Comment

Wow, nice pictures! Seeing these makes me want to get surgery more!
                    45L/40T
                    Surgery 25/1/2010
                    Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

Working...
                    X