first time user in recovery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first time user in recovery

I quite accidently came across this forum about three weeks ago, signed up March 11,2008 and because of some snafu wasn't able to get in until today March 19,2008. I am a 68 year old female 3 and 1/2 months post-op from posterior fusion surgery, L2-S1 and 3 months post-op from anterior fusion of L3-L4, L4-L5, L5-S1. I wish I had known about this forum before my surgeries as I was extremely nervous about having the surgery. I was very fortunate to have many people praying for me so by the time of my first surgery, I was completely at peace, praise God. I am doing quite well now walking up to 1 1/2 miles in about 35 minutes some days. I've been off my oxycodone for about 5 weeks. I still have a little pain but not more than I can handle without medication. My biggest problem with pain right now is at night when I go to bed, but most troubling is restless leg syndrome. My ortho surgeon tells me this is caused by the nerves regenerating where the sciatic nerve was damaged and has me on 300 to 600mg gabapentin as needed taken at bedtime. It does seem to help slow down the restless leg syndrome so I can get to sleep. Does anyone know if this problem eventually resolves itself and how long it might take?

As you might discern from my title, loves to skate, I have been roller skating since the age of 40. I know, I got a late start. My surgeon told me before he operated on me that I would be able to go back to roller skating after the fusion takes place and after physical therapy. Am I crazy to want to go back to skating? Have any of you folks in my age category (68) done this, either ice skating, roller skating or skiing? I would love to hear from you or anyone who might have thoughts on this subject.
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Well, I'm not in your age group, but...

Hey, Welcome to the forum!

I'm three months post op too! I just saw my surgeon today, and he told me that I should wait about a year before doing any skiing, or other sports that carry a risk of falling down or injury. I'm only 22, but I imagine that it would be about the same length of time for you.

I hope you are doing well, we are all here for you, and each other.

Roseann
    2001 T-sp 58* L-sp 55*
    2007 T-sp 64* L-sp 67*
    Surgery Dec. 21 2007
    Posterior fusion T3 to L3

Comment

loves to skate

Hey Roseann from Seattle, You can't imagine how excited I was to get my first reply to my first post. My husband grew up in the Seattle area and we will be attending his 50th high school class reunion from Sedro Woolley High School in July. A year sounds about right before attempting a sport where there is risk of falling, since they tell me it takes up to nine months for the fusion to actually take place. I don't know why I didn't ask my Doctor. The brain turns to mush in the Doctor's office and I forgot to write it down. Thanks for your reply.

Sally

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

I am also one of Dr. Rand's patients

Hi Sally,

Welcome to the Forum. It is a wonderful life line for all of us. Your surgery sounds very similar to mine and was also done by Dr. Frank Rand. I thank God everyday for Dr. Rand. Sorry, I cannot help you with your restless leg spasms or advise you about skating. It took me 5 months before I was able to sleep through the night, and I was fortunate not to have leg spasms -- just a garden variety of discomfort. It sounds like you are doing a great job walking and being off the serious pain medications. Congratulations!! Feel free to send me a PM if you would like to chat or if I can be of any support to a fellow Bay State resident.

Take care,
        Linda W.
        Linda
        Two-stage A/P fusion T6-S1 with lumbar implants June 12 & June 27, 2007 at age 57
        S curve 75+ degrees with kyphosis
        Now 45 degrees and standing 3 inches taller!
        Dr. Frank Rand, New England Baptist Hospital, Boston

Comment

Loves To Skate,

I have had restless leg syndrome for years - hoped it might resolve after surgery but it did not. I take .5 mg of clonazepam at bedtime.
          Jan Lotherington,
          56* thoracic curve, 50* lumbar curve
          A/P fusion T3-Sacrum, Dec 11&13 2007
          at age 55
          Dr Bridwell

Comment

loves to skate

Hi Linda W,
            Thanks for the reply. I would like to send you a PM but I haven't figured out how to do that yet. I'm not really computer literate and I looked in the FAQ section on how to send a PM, but it doesn't make sense to me yet. Do I have to send a new post and pick your name from the user list?

Comment

lovestoskate:
              If you click on the person's name/title there should be a drop down menu. Click on Send a private message and get started! Good luck on sending your 1st PM! Hope this helped.
              ~Alicia~
              Geish
              47 years old, dx at 13
              +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
              Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
              http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
              http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

loves to skate

Thanks Geish for your help. Sally

Comment

Sally---I would absolutely love to roller blade again. I almost cry everytime I see my skates in my closet!!!
                  I never-ever fell in all of my roller skating time but I guess I'm concerned it could happen.. After all I've been thru with this operation, I do greatly hestitate but am so dying to do it this spring....

Comment

Welcome!

Sally-- just wanted to say hi and welcome to the forum. I didn't find it either for awhile-- about 5 months post-op. Oh well! At least we have it now. There's some great support here.

Wow, I'm impressed with your desire to return to skating! I can't help you there, but best wishes with whatever you decide. Take care. Susie
                    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Pm ...

Hi, Sally ...

I saw you tried to PM me and it was returned (I didn't realize I was over quota - and it only holds a measly 70 messages).

Sorry about that, and welcome! While I can't advise on whether skating right now is a good idea, I do love your attitude and your spunk!

I hope this comes across in the right way, "I wanna be like you when I grow up! ".

Best regards,
                      Pam
                      Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                      AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                      Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                      Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                      EMAIL ME

Comment

Wow - 68 and skating???? Geez! What are they feeding you people over there!!! I am feeling more ashamed each day when I read what some of you amazing people on here can do!
                        Good on you Sally - your obviously very fit so I think you will make a wonderful and full recovery - You'll be out doing spins in your short little number in no time - but not without your Doctors permission first Huh!

Good Luck and welcome to the forum!
                        Cyber hugs
                        Del
                        Elysia 16 in Feb 2010
                        Sydney - Australia
                        Feb 2008 Fused T5-L1 and 5 ribs removed.
                        Dec 2009 - Crankshafting
                        Dec 10 - Revision surgery...3 vertebrae taken down, hooks removed, at T11-L1 - screws inserted, fusion extended down to
                        L3 using Pedicle screws, some rib removed to try to derotate. Praying for things to settle.

Comment

loves to skate

Hi everyone,
                          Thanks for your replys. It means a lot to me. No, I won't skate until my Doctor tells me it is OK. Since I got such a late start in learning to skate, I never got into freestyle, so no spins or jumps or roller derby for me; just skate dancing and school figures. Some of my skating buddies are in their 80's and they are good skaters. Too bad a lot of the roller rinks are going away from lack of interest in roller skating. If it was an Olympic sport, that would promote interest. I have seen some teenagers who have roller skated after scoliosis surgery, but I am not aware or any older adults who have done the same. There must be some ice skaters out there though since it is a more popular sport.
                          Sally

Comment

My doctor told me I should be able to do everything as before at about 8 months post op. I would probably be too scared to skate at 3 1/2 months post op just for the sake of falling. I do think it is great though that you feel well enough to want to go back to skating. Good for You !!
                            Jamie Age 29
                            Mother to a 6 year old daughter & an 11 month old baby boy.

2000 Curves - 28/40/32
                            2008 Curves - 39/63/44
                            Surgery Date - 3/25/08
                            T4 - L1

63 degrees corrected to 15 degrees !

Comment

loves to skate

Hi JamieR,
                              I hope you really don't think I want to start skating again now at 3 1/2 months post-op. I may be crazy, but I'm not stupid. I know it will have to be at a minimum 9 months to a year post-op. I was just wondering if anyone in my age catagory has ever gone back to a sport like skating. My doctor told me that one of his patients in my age catagory is back playing doubles tennis and her surgery, T12-S1, was more extensive than mine. That seems to me a more strenuous sport than skating. I got a concussion while playing tennis in my youth. Also have fallen off of my piano bench. Life can be dangerous. All joking aside, thanks for you reply.

Comment

Working...
                              X