No announcement yet.

Almost 3 weeks post op and doing GREAT!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost 3 weeks post op and doing GREAT!

Hi everybody i was talkin about the surgery a while ago and then i talked about it getting postponed but now ive had my surgery! Well the date was Feb. 26 (at Childrens Memorial Hospital in chicago/ Doctor Grayhack) and i was fused T4-L1 with titanium rods (18 screws two rods and a hook). The second day after surgery i was up walking the third day after surgery i was walking again, did the stairs, packed up and left. THE THIRD DAY AFTER.

My Xrays were AMAZING and my trunk shift was completely gone and the curve in my chest is less than 10 degrees!!! My doctor was amazed at how fast i recovered and he called me a freak lol :].

Now im back to normal life with little pain at all im almost perfect. Im driving...cleaning up after myself...working on homework consistantly through out the day. Heck I was out eating at restaurants not even 2 weeks after!!

This surgery is a piece of cake! I don't see why everyone freaks out so much about it? My body is perfectly even now and im 2 inches taller. Im so happy i got this surgery :]]]].
    17 yr old guy
    swimmer
    55* thoracic curve
    42* lumbar curve
    severe trunk shift to the right
    surgery date: Feb. 26 2008
    Fused T4-L1
    Now Trunk shift is GONE
    CURVES less than 10 degrees!

I'm so glad that your surgery went so smoothly and you are recovering so well! Has your surgeon said when you can return to swimming? Stay strong and keep up the great attitude!
    Geish
    47 years old, dx at 13
    +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
    Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

im thinking ill be swimming (of some sort) maybe in a month just too be safe and not knock anything loose or sumthin lol. But im definitley ready :]
      17 yr old guy
      swimmer
      55* thoracic curve
      42* lumbar curve
      severe trunk shift to the right
      surgery date: Feb. 26 2008
      Fused T4-L1
      Now Trunk shift is GONE
      CURVES less than 10 degrees!

Comment

Congrats, swimbum! Geish is right ... attitude is the key - KEEP IT UP!

So glad to hear you're doing well, and take it easy getting back to your sport. I know it's hard to reign in your activities when you feel great - I'm fighting the same thing.

Just keep repeating "I will be a gooooooood patient because I do NOT want to do this again!".

You're allowed to grumble (a LOT - lol!), but listen to your doctor, ya hear? ;-)

Best regards,
        Pam
        Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
        AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
        Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
        Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
        EMAIL ME

Comment

Not sure whether to be concerned ...

Does anyone talk to swimbum off list?

His last post was "surgery is a piece of cake" (it *could* be the case, but most know 3 days is WAY early for this sentiment ...).

Just a bit concerned about this kid. No further posts after the one that started this thread ...

Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

Originally posted by swimbum
            This surgery is a piece of cake!
            Dear Swimbum,

Congratulations on a successful surgical outcome and a return to normalcy in your life. Your youth is certainly to your advantage in the road to recovery. But I’m going to reprimand you. THIS SURGERY IS NO PIECE OF CAKE! It’s very serious stuff. And I’m sure the first person who will tell you that is your surgeon. We’ve just had a recent post from a woman who nearly lost her life from excessive blood loss. Granted, the risk for complications is much higher in adults, but even in adolescents, there can be serious complications. Be grateful that your surgery was successful and for the skill and talent of your fine surgeon, but please do not underestimate the seriousness of this surgery.

Chris

Comment

Chris ...

My point was he posted all that 3 days later - and has disappeared ...

Odd.

And, no ... we know it isn't a piece of cake ;-).

VIEW MY X-RAYS
              EMAIL ME

Comment

concerns...

Pam-- I haven't heard /seen any posts from him either, but (unless I'm reading it wrong, which is quite possible) I think that post was when he was 3 weeks post-op, not 3 days. The "3 days" part was about when get was dismissed from the hospital. It's possible he continued feeling so good that he didn't feel the need to check in. I'll try sending him a pm, in case he responds.
                71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Yeah, Susie ... you are correct - and I'm sure the 3 days was sticking out because of the discharge date (doh! ... I didn't even review the post title) ...

Just a bit strange that was the last post ....

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                  EMAIL ME

Comment

Working...
                  X