protecting scar from the sun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• protecting scar from the sun

I asked Dr. Dormans if I could put zinc on the scar in addition to sun screen and he said I could. Did you all mean zinc oxide? That is what I bought. Do you put the sun screen on first? How often do I reapply everything during the course of a day. It will be in the 80's and very sunny. Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by MATJESNIC; 03-14-2008, 08:08 PM.
    Melissa
    From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
    Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Originally posted by MATJESNIC
    I asked Dr. Dormans if I could put zinc on the scar in addition to sun screen and he said I could. Did you all mean zinc peroxide? That is what I bought. Do you put the sun screen on first? How often do I reapply everything during the course of a day. It will be in the 80's and very sunny. Thanks for your help.
    Melissa,

Zinc oxide is what you want.

I'd recommend Bullfrog 36 Gel as an underlayer. Apply that liberally, let dry a bit, and then use a zinc oxide stick so you can precisely apply on the scar. Easier and less messy that a tube and your fingers ;-).

It's going to get all mixed up after the first application, so the order really doesn't matter. It's just neater if you apply sunscreen first, then the zinc stick.

Regards,
    Pam
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Comment

Melissa,

I was just thinking of asking this same question, so I'm so glad you did! I'm paranoid about my scar healing well... so the verdict is regular sunscreen (Spf15 or whatever else) and the zinc over it will prevent the sun from getting to it? Did you get any other tips?

Thanks!
      2000 34*L/39*T
      2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
      (initially planned T4-L1)
      12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

I'm olive complected, but my son is lily white - LOL. I became a HUGE Bullfrog Gel fan 20 years ago when he was a baby. Seemed to be the only stuff that stayed on, and is water and sweat resistant (Really. Not like some of the others that *claim* to be!).

Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
        EMAIL ME

Comment

Oh, silly me, I meant zinc oxide. Thanks so much for your replies. I am so afraid of doing something wrong and having to live with that guilt. I am going to edit my original post. Thanks again. I wonder how often I should apply all of that. I am going to be really crazy about her scar not getting any sun. I will probably also make her wear a t-shirt at times. But she is so excited to show off her new bikinis after last year hating how her waist looked so uneven in them.
          Last edited by MATJESNIC; 03-14-2008, 08:10 PM.
          Melissa
          From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
          Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

I also recommend carrying those sunscreen sticks. They're made for the face etc. We'd have one in each car and each bag just in case. I'd just run in down Danielle's back anytime it was the least bit sunny. Now 2 years post-op you can barely seee her scar. Mindy

Comment

Originally posted by mibre
              I also recommend carrying those sunscreen sticks. They're made for the face etc. We'd have one in each car and each bag just in case. I'd just run in down Danielle's back anytime it was the least bit sunny. Now 2 years post-op you can barely seee her scar. Mindy
              They're certainly more handy than a tube/bottle, but they aren't all that effective for extended exposure. Anything above SPF 36 (and less even) is no more effective. SPF 50 *sounds* great, but really indicates no more protection.

I keep one of the sticks in my ball bag for emergencies (all day tourneys in Houston - 103° in July playing up through the losers bracket!), but I've found them to be pretty lame for long exposure - even with reapplication. If *I* burn with then in a few hours, they won't be of much use to fair complected folks.

regards,
              Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
              EMAIL ME

Comment

I had my fusion march 4th and as a high school senior i have beach week and a big (hopefully fun-filled!) summer coming up. Sun protection and healing of my scar is therefore a big deal for me... so i was wondering what products you all have found most effective for a) healing/minimizing the scar in the first place and b) protecting the scar from the sun?

thanks so much!

Comment

I've been using mederma for awhile, and it seems to be working pretty well. This summer I plan on getting one of those chapstick-like tubes of zinc to cover my scar wtih, and also just be really diligent about using sunscreen everywhere - this will not be my year for getting as tan as possible (though I also plan to be outside and at the beach as much as possible!).
                  2000 34*L/39*T
                  2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
                  (initially planned T4-L1)
                  12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

Working...
                  X