PDA

View Full Version : 7 months post-op

geo
03-13-2008, 01:58 PM
I meant well when I started writing weekly updates, because that's the kind of info I was looking for pre-surgery. But what can I say, life happens! I'm 7.5 months post-op, and feeling good! I'll try to keep it brief:

-I still have numbness around the incision, or perhaps it's better described as I can tell when the skin is being touched, but the full-sensation has not returned

-I've been walking a LOT since surgery, and I am a full-on advocate for that! I've also been using the elliptical and bike comfortably for the past couple of months

-I haven't noticed any effect on my flexibility. But I am very conscientious of needing to take care of the UNfused vertebrae so still am not moving 100% naturally

-The hardware has not caused me any problems. I am still pretty aware of "something" holding me upright

-I still feel fatigue in my back after a long day, usually in my upper back (where the fusion is); laying down for 10-15 minutes helps a lot

Really, life is pretty much normal, and though I think of this every day, I go for very long stretches without it being a thought at all. I am even on my way to Peru in two days, so we'll see what 30-some-odd hours of flying does to my optimism!
I hope you are well, I check in to the forum frequently even though I'm not posting so much.

vndy
03-13-2008, 07:52 PM
I too have noticed that the amount of time I spend noticing or thinking about my back is steadily decreasing (which I am grateful for, as I was beginning to feel my back was dominating my whole life!). Do you feel balanced? Just the other day my boyfriend mentioned that the musculature in my back seemed to be evening out, and that made me wonder if it will continue to do so...

Glad to hear you're well, and that you're continuing to improve. Your posts and honest answers have been so helpful to me from the time I made my surgery decision :)

Have an AMAZING time in Peru!

txmarinemom
03-13-2008, 08:16 PM
Have a blast, geo! Like vndy, you provided me with lots of knowledge and encouragement ;-).

You'll *definitely* have to post pics when you get home!

Regards,
Pam

Susie*Bee
03-14-2008, 08:42 AM
Geo-- it was great to hear from you! I'm so glad you are doing so well! :D Hope the 30 hour trip goes smoothly and you get to stretch and limber up ok. After you get back, be sure to let us hear from you on how the trip was... Take care!