Surgery June 23 or 30 with Dr. Purnendu Gupta in Chicago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery June 23 or 30 with Dr. Purnendu Gupta in Chicago

Well I did it. I scheduled surgery when I met with Dr. Gupta yesterday. What a long day. My sister and brother who live in Madison, WI accompanied me. Now I know why it’s mostly women who end up having this surgery. I thought my twin brother who is 6’2”, well-built and athletic was going to pass out. Men simply cannot handle this as well as we women do. I feel good about my decision to move forward with this and I’m extremely confident in my surgeon of choice. Thanks everyone for your support.

Chris

Way to go, Chris!! I'm so happy that you are ready and confident in your surgeon. These few months are going to go fast so buy your grabbers now!

Does Dr. Gupta plan on a posterior approach?
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

I'm so happy for you! You know you'll have a ton of support from everyone here.
      Its taken me well over 10 years to make the same decision. Now I can't wait.
      2 60* curves, DDD, left trunk shift, some rotation, rib and lumbar humps, annular tear at L5-S1
      surgery 5/08 planning fusion T3 or T4 to sacrum with iliac fixation
      Dr. Anderson at Rothman Institute
      5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5
      5/23/08 fused T2-sacrum w/fixation and I'm all Titanium
      6/4/08 open all back up to clean out for Staph infection
      (left open with just clear dressing)
      6/6/08 recleaned and closed
      3/30/2012 revision planned, broken rod and removal of iliac bolts

Comment

I am very glad that you have made your decision. That is one of the hardest parts..to decide yes or no. I felt much better, kind of relieved in a way after I decided it was the right move for me...
        Plus you had that sign(roses). I strongly believe in signs that lead us down the right path....Ly

Comment

That's such good news!

Chris-- I am so excited for you! That (to me, anyway) seems like the main hurdle-- the rest of it will now fall into place. I'm a visual person, and what helped me once I got the date set, was to make myself a little one page calendar (mine went from Jan. to mid May) to plot in happenings at work, family stuff, getting things done at the house, etc., and of course, surgery related things-- so I could see it all in a glance... Of course, the best laid plans... they upped the surgery by a week, but it was ok too. Keep us posted with your plans, concerns, questions, whatever. Take care!
          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

(((hugs))))

I can imagine that you are glad that you finally have a date and that the decision is made,,,, but bet you are also terrified. Here's where your faith comes in... Just don't let any negative "what-if's" come into your thoughts. So many of us have been thru it and come thru just fine, so will you!!

You can use me if u want to.... Just say to yourself..."If that WIMP, JoAnn, can do it, i know i can too!!"

I'll be watching the forum for your postings and will be glad to help in any
            way if i can. We are all pulling for you!

Comment

Chris,

Best wishes to you on your decision to move forward with surgery. You have been contemplating for quite a while, so either way it must be a relief to make a decision and move forward. I'm sure you will be very well prepared, and of course you will have all the support and prayers from the "forum folks".

Renee

Comment

Congrats on your decision, Chris. Singer's right ... it will pass quickly!

You can do this ;-).

Regards,
                Pam
                Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                EMAIL ME

Comment

Ladies,

Thanks for all your comments and well wishes. Considering that I have an 80º curve that has shown fast progression the past decade (I can tell by how my body has changed), I think I would be foolish to ignore this. It will only worsen and possibly lead to more problems in the future. Additionally, I really don’t want to become any more deformed than I am now if I can do something to prevent that from happening.

Chris, yesterday Dr. Gupta reiterated his stance for posterior only and I trust his judgment. No, I will not get the kind of correction that you got, but I’m pushing 60 and I would be satisfied with a lesser correction and a faster recovery. I will require a fusion to the sacrum and he told me that in itself will not be a walk in the park. Where have I heard that before?

Comment

Wow, Chris. I know what a monumental decision this is for you; I've been following your posts since I first came on here at the beginning of 2007. I wish you the very best, and I hope you feel peace.
                    31 year old female
                    55* (day of surgery) thoracic curve w/compensatory lumbar
                    T4-T12 on Aug 15, 2007

MRI, pre-surgery
                    Xray, 3 mos. post-op
                    Machu Picchu, 8 mos. post-op

Comment

ChrisWBS
                      I'm so glad you made the decision to move forward! You are going to do just great! And fusion to the sacrum isn't so bad...I just had to learn how to do some things a new way. Its been a bit rough, but I'm getting there, and soon I have no doubt I will be able to do all of the things I did before. Again, just in a new way. If you want any info on life after fusion to the sacrum I will be happy to answer any questions that I can, even those embarrassing personal ones, just send me a PM. Good luck with your surgery and a new improved back!
                      Alicia
                      Geish
                      47 years old, dx at 13
                      +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
                      Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
                      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
                      http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
                      http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

Hi Chris,

So glad you have come to your decision and that you have such confidence in your surgeon. We are all here for you. And I know you have a local support group in Chicago. Keep us posted!
                        Jan Lotherington,
                        56* thoracic curve, 50* lumbar curve
                        A/P fusion T3-Sacrum, Dec 11&13 2007
                        at age 55
                        Dr Bridwell

Comment

Good for you !

I think it's great you are moving forward with surgery, especially with such a large curve I think you are right to take care of it now rather than later. It is such a good feeling to have confidence in the doctor you have chosen. Good luck, the time will be here before you know it.
                          Jamie Age 29
                          Mother to a 6 year old daughter & an 11 month old baby boy.

2000 Curves - 28/40/32
                          2008 Curves - 39/63/44
                          Surgery Date - 3/25/08
                          T4 - L1

63 degrees corrected to 15 degrees !

Comment

Good on 'ya, Chris! You've passed the biggest hurdle -the decision. Please keep us updated on your progress.
                            FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
                            10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
                            8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
                            5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
                            2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
                            3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

Chris, I'm so glad you're avoiding the dreaded anterior cut!!
                              Chris
                              A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                              Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                              Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                              Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Working...
                              X