Height after surgery ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Height after surgery ...

Okay - I finally (LOL!), at 35 days post-op, remembered to get measured by some accurate method.

The hospital (oddly) didn't have height bars on the scales, and (*doh!) I FORGOT to get them to measure me at my 3 weeks post-op visit!

So ...

Yesterday, my daughter and I were at my Mom's: She has a doctor's scale with the height bar, and ...

I'm only 1/4" taller!!

(I expected a LITTLE more ... the estimate was 1 to 1-1/2" pre-op)

Anyway, I got to looking at my sagittal pre-op vs. sagittal post-op x-rays. I had almost NO natural kyphosis pre-op. My theory (and of *course* I'm sending Hanson an email to ask - lol) is any height increase was absorbed into the shaping of the rods to build normal kyphosis.

Sound feasible? I can't imagine what else would have made the vertical difference so small when I was a 2 rotation, and ±53° curvature ...

Look at what I mean ...

Pre-op sagittal (almost NO kyphosis)

Post-op sagittal (normal kyphosis).

Regards,
    Pam
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

I 'grew' and inch, I'm pleased with that. I think I might be one of the only people in their 20's to grow (at age 20) 4cm, shrink 3, and then grow 2 again! Pam from your photos, you didn't look that squashed down or asymetrical so that's probably a contributing factor.
    1994 curve at age 13, 70 degrees, untreated
    2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
    2007 26 degrees junctional scoliosis
    Revision surgery, 6th December 2007 T4 to L3, Posterior approach.
    msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

My daughter only grew 1/2". She was SO disappointed because she is only 4 feet 10 1/2 inches tall after surgery. She was hoping to reach 5 feet.

Mary Lou
      Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

I think you're right, Pam. I gained atleast an inch post-surgery (at last measurement), but my kyphosis wasn't restored nearly as well as yours was.
        31 year old female
        55* (day of surgery) thoracic curve w/compensatory lumbar
        T4-T12 on Aug 15, 2007

MRI, pre-surgery
        Xray, 3 mos. post-op
        Machu Picchu, 8 mos. post-op

Comment

Originally posted by nzgirl
          Pam from your photos, you didn't look that squashed down or asymetrical so that's probably a contributing factor.
          Yeah, I know I didn't LOOK that bad, but the numbers are the numbers, wouldn't you say?

A +2 rotation and 53° is the same whether it's a higher structural curve (and balanced by compensatories) or lower (and imbalanced - which, from what I've noticed, anyway, tends to be associated with the "squashed" look) ...

Did you see what I was talking about on my pre/post op sagittals? Pre-op sagittal kyphosis is nearly non-existent ...

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

Patrick grew 2-2 1/2 inches.
            One thing I really noticed pre surgery was that there was a large variation in his height depending on time of day he was measured how active he was that day etc etc.
            My thinking was that his spine/curve would settle with activity and fatigue throughout the day. Now, post surgery, when I measure him he is always the same height aside from some natural growth he is still going through. What I mean is I can measure him three days in a row now and get the exact same measurement unlike before surgery.
            regarding the pre-op non existent kyphosis in your thoracic, Patrick had this too almost to the point of a lordosis (I will get his x-rays posted one of these days). The surgeon refered to this as lordoscoliosis. His was not corrected with surgery so yes since yours does really look more like a natural kyphosis now this too could also explain the lack of growth after your surgery.

Ramona
            mom of Patrick, age 15 at time of surgery
            diagnosed July 2006 curves T58 L 38

Nov. 2006 curves T72 L38
            also lordoscoliosis

feb.2007 curves T79 L43

Surgery May 16 2007
            fused T4 to L1

Comment

I think you're right about losing height from the put in normal kyphosis. You would still think it would be more the 1/4". How tall were you before surgery?
              Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
              2003- 33 degrees
              2005- 37 degrees
              2006- 44 degrees
              May 2007- 47 degrees
              December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
              Fused T1 to L2
              Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

Originally posted by briarrose
                How tall were you before surgery?
                5'2".

... and what the hell? Admin, this may be the silliest rule I've seen on ANY site: I tried to simply answer "5'2"", and got THIS:

"The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters."

Jeez!

We're forced to communicate by email because PM can't handle > 1000 characters, and there's a MINIMUM on *required* characters for posts?

Do you guys need help with your vBulletin setup/database structure??? I just happen to have some free time these days ...

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                EMAIL ME

Comment

Working...
                X