Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inner brace

Hello all!
    I am six weeks post-op. T3-L4 with one cage, laminectomy,(sp?) etc. I'll be finding out more about the specifics on the 27th. Please those of you that have been through this.....when does the "awareness" of the rods- hardware start to go away? I wore a Milwaukee brace and the feeling is so similar- except it's inside. Really feel like I'm being jabbed this morning! The PA, at my two week appointment, assured me that it would go away eventually. How long?
    What has been your experience?
    Thanks!
    CSC
    Idiopathic Scoliosis; Wore a Milwaukee brace; Told by physician it would not progress
    S curve; Surgery date: January 29, 2008!!

"Inner brace" is a really good way to describe that being-held-in-place feeling we post-ops have. I am still very aware of that feeling at 8 and a half months post-op, but it's not nearly as uncomfortable or painful as it was -- just very stiff most of the time.
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

I am 91/2 months post op and I can still feel the hard ware. Also I have a plate from C-4 to C-6 and I can feel that whenever I laugh or swallow and I am 2 years out from that surgery. I don't think the feeling will ever go away but you do get used to it.
      Patty 51 years old
      Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
      Posterior T3- L4
      Pre surgery curves
      T-53degrees
      L-38degrees
      and a severe side shift to the right.
      Post surgery curves
      Less than 10 degrees
      Surgery April, 2006
      C4 - C6

Comment

It must be because I was in a TLSO brace for about 5 months post-op, so I didn't really notice it in the same way. I've been without the brace for 5 months now, and I just feel pretty rigid/straight postured, if you know what I mean!!! Plus I can feel the hardness in my back from the rods, but only when I touch back there. I figure that won't ever go away. Good luck!
        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

My hardware annoys me when I drive (leaning back on the seat - then again, I may just need to deflate the lumbar adjustment - doh!), and forget about leaning back in a hard chair ...

Oddly, the bathtub doesn't bother me.

Other than that, I haven't run across anything else (yet) where it's noticeable.

Regards,
          Pam
          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

I like the "feel" of my inner brace - it makes me feel strong. I never get that fatigued feeling in my mid back like before.

What bothers me most are the screws going into my hips. Really stiff at times and has affected my stride the most. I used to do 3.5- 3.8 miles per hr, now 2.5- 2.7. Hopefully will improve with warmer weather ahead.
            Jan Lotherington,
            56* thoracic curve, 50* lumbar curve
            A/P fusion T3-Sacrum, Dec 11&13 2007
            at age 55
            Dr Bridwell

Comment

Working...
            X