Vertebral Compression Fractures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vertebral Compression Fractures

I learned yesterday that I have compression fractures in my throacic vertebrae. My first thought was 'Well just perfect! One more thing to add to the list of things making me feel old!'.

I'm looking for any information or experiences anyone would be willing to share. I was so shocked when the doc told me that, I forgot to ask any questions, so I've called his office and his nurse is going to call me back and let me know what's going on. I don't go back to my surgeon until March 27, and I'd really like to know something before then.

Thanks to anyone willing to share.
    Becky, 46 years old
    Diagnosed at 13 with mild scoliosis
    Ignored until 448/07
    Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
    Right thorocolumbar 60* T11-L4
    Surgery Monday, June 9, 2008 Oklahoma Spine Hospital
    Fused T-10 to L-5
    14 titanium pedicle screws
    Corrected to approx. 10* YEA!!!
    Email

compressed vertebrae

A friend nurse-practitioner, only in her 40s, had terrible back pain(no scoliosis) with was misdiagnosed as "asthma/allergies". Her bone densities showed osteoporosis!!! Further tests showed compressed thoracic vertebrae and fracture. She was in terrible pain. Her husband, in an effort to give her a little treat, gave her a gift certificate for a tanning salon. Naturally no one wants skin cancer, but she agreed to go in for about 15 minutes just for relaxation. In a short time her back pain went away. The artificial light stimulated her own manufacture of Vit D so important for bone strength. She could not tolerate the usual bone density medications but is using the nasal spray (I forget the name). Her bone density has increased and the fracture has healed pain free.
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Super story of an innovative solution, Karen!

Comment

The immediate result of the tanning, she probably looked really hot and like she'd been on vacation. The later result, less pain, so probably feeling hot and looking like she'd been on vacation. Good news all round! Apart from the skin cancer risks. I love my 'porcelain' skin.
        1994 curve at age 13, 70 degrees, untreated
        2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
        2007 26 degrees junctional scoliosis
        Revision surgery, 6th December 2007 T4 to L3, Posterior approach.
        msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

tanning bed caveat...

I just have to add my 2 cents' worth on the subject of those gorgeous tans... and I know Karen's friend didn't do her time at the tanning bed to get one of those...

I am a melanoma survivor-- had it at age 20 and thought my life was just about over. It is a very serious cancer. The melanoma rates have increased a lot over the years; I think at least partly attributed to the use of tanning beds. It's important to get some "rays," but to still protect yourself. Please don't overdo it.

Becky-- no wonder you've been having a lot of pain!!! I kept thinking about that aspect of it after I read your post yesterday.
          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Working...
          X