The walk was a success!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The walk was a success!

5K (3.1 miles) completed at 33 days post op ... no issues!

Here are a few pics, and yeah, I debuted my newest scar to roughly 10-12,000 fellow Houstonians - LOL ...

Walk pic 1
    Walk pic 2
    Walk pic 3

(more to come later ;-)

Regards,
    Pam
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Pam,
    I am so proud of you! Your scar looks pretty damn good too!
    Love ya,
    Alicia
    Geish
    47 years old, dx at 13
    +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
    Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

Whoooaaa!!!! Fantastic Pam - but I don't know about those comments about revealing your back to 12,000 Houstarians - what about those Boobs!!!!!! LOL, I don't think many males even NOTICED your back!!!!! LOL!
      I think if word gets out that we're posting pictures like that on this forum we might see a larger male contingency on here!!!!!LOL!

Well done and congrats!

Hugs
      Del
      Elysia 16 in Feb 2010
      Sydney - Australia
      Feb 2008 Fused T5-L1 and 5 ribs removed.
      Dec 2009 - Crankshafting
      Dec 10 - Revision surgery...3 vertebrae taken down, hooks removed, at T11-L1 - screws inserted, fusion extended down to
      L3 using Pedicle screws, some rib removed to try to derotate. Praying for things to settle.

Comment

Way to go!

Super job! Congrats!
        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Congratulations!

Not only a 5K walk, but posting to the forum, with pix no less. All on the same day. I'm impressed ... again!
          FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
          10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
          8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
          5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
          2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
          3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

Congrats Pam!
            Great job & you look fantastic!!
            -Cara
            Cara, Mom to Nathan
            Diagnosed 24 deg. in July 2007, progressed to 38 deg. by August 2007
            Boston Back Brace 8/07 – 12/07
            VBS 12/10/07 Boston Children's Hospital
            Dr. Hresko
            40 Degrees before VBS
            11 Degrees now!! (2012)

Nathan's VBS Video

www.vertebralstapling.com

Comment

Your a babe!
              ;p
              45L/40T
              Surgery 25/1/2010
              Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

High five Pam!! You did it girl -I'm incredibly proud of you!!

Hugs,
                Lori

Mom to Christopher, age 17, Mark, 13, Heather, 10 and Michael, 8
                Chris had surgery with Dr. John Flynn at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia on December 12, 2007. He is fused T4 to L4.
                Dr. Flynn is an AMAZING surgeon!

Comment

Congratulations Pam! You're a huge inspiration to me. You've encouraged me to set some goals after my surgery. Nice work!
                  Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
                  2003- 33 degrees
                  2005- 37 degrees
                  2006- 44 degrees
                  May 2007- 47 degrees
                  December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
                  Fused T1 to L2
                  Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

Pam - never mind other question

Loved your pictures. That scar looks so familiar. hmmmmmm Guess once you've seen one, you've seen them all. LOL

Course age has a lot to do with it, but I can't get any more over 15 minutes on the treadmill per day. After the 15, I'm just worn out. Mile wise, that probably equates to maybe 1/8th ???

Congratulations. I just can't believe you did it, but the pictures certainly prove it. I'll amen all the previous replies you've received.

Diane
                    Diane in Dallas
                    Adult Ideopatic Scoliosis (37%) and Kyphosis (65%)
                    Surgery #1 8/4/03 - Dr. Shelokov, Plano
                    Surg #2 12/8/03 - Dr. Shelokov, Plano
                    Surg #3 1/10/05 - Dr. Shelokov, Plano
                    Surg #4 9/10/07 - Dr. Viere, Dallas
                    Surg #5 1/28/08 - Dr. Viere, Dallas
                    Surg #6 4/27/09 - Dr. Viere, Dallas

Comment

Well done Pam! You look so well and your scar looks great!
                      Anne
                      Mum to Annessa, age 15
                      53 degree thoracic curve down to 10 degrees.
                      Date of surgery: 7th Feb 2008
                      Edinburgh, Sick Kids
                      Fused T4 - L1

Comment

Pam,

I'm very proud of you (not that I ever had any doubts that you'd succeed). I can only imagine what an inspiration it will be for adults and also teenagers facing fusion to know that you did this just weeks after surgery!!!

And you look great!

Hugs,
                        mariaf305@yahoo.com
                        Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                        Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Congrats on your walk!! I thought your t-shirt was a really cool idea.
                          Jamie Age 29
                          Mother to a 6 year old daughter & an 11 month old baby boy.

2000 Curves - 28/40/32
                          2008 Curves - 39/63/44
                          Surgery Date - 3/25/08
                          T4 - L1

63 degrees corrected to 15 degrees !

Comment

An attempt to answer all the comments - LOL!

Thanks to all for the congrats ;-). I'm a little sore today, but so was everyone else on the team - LOL. We pretty much power-walked the last half (the street they had shut off for the walk - Allen Parkway - has lots of deep underpasses, so it was a pretty steep incline for a VERY flat town!).

For all of you who have encouraged me since I announced the goal (and far before), you'll never know how much your genuine support has meant. Your faith helped me finish yesterday as much as anything. I think the world of you, and I'm honored I made you proud.

My friends (off list) have supported me during doom and gloom periods and perky periods, pre-surgery, and they have been with me, encouraging every single day, post-op. They never told me I shouldn't/couldn't do the walk: They simply decided they were walking too.

Honestly, when I made this vow to walk (I'll never forget ... about 1:00 a.m., 2/2/08 ... surgery was set for 2/5/08), I had NO idea what was in my post-op future. I only knew I needed a focus. I started soliciting donations as soon as I woke up from my 2 day nap (after I got home from the hospital), and with the first donation, I had what I needed - a reason I couldn't quit.

Either Courtney or Dawn (another friend who walked yesterday) said probably one of the nicest things to me EVER (yesterday, after the walk): "I knew you'd finish, even if you had to crawl the last mile". That may be the most endearing way I've ever been called stubborn ;-).

To all who commented on the scar? Yeah, you've seen one, you've seen 'em all. I know mine won't be perfect because I can only tolerate traditional stitches or staples, but big deal. I wore it proudly yesterday, and if I ever need a reminder of what I can do, it's there as proof. Always.

I *earned* that damn thing. Why hide it?

Del - my boobs just LOOKED bigger in that bathing suit top - no way would I have gone huge with my augmentation (2001) because it would interfere with softball. I also wanted people to listen to me professionally - and remember I have EYES. Houston isn't all that conservative ... people are used to cleavage anyway ;-).

FFF - I had to meet my daughter after the post walk lunch, so the rest of the gang came to my place to wait on me. Courtney loaded the pics from both her and Dawn's cameras on my laptop while they did. All I had to do later that evening was pick a few images, upload to my box.net storage area, and link to them. It took all of 10 minutes to create the post here/upload the pics. I should pretend it was an amazing feat, and tons of work, but I can't - LOL.

Brairrose - goals are good ... and I'm flattered if I've encouraged you. You're going to do fine!

Diane - Yes, age is a factor, but it's also a factor ranked by YOU in importance. Just because you aren't walking long distances, you're doing the most important thing ... SOMETHING! ;-) Your 15 minutes on the treadmill *will* add up, and you'll increase your endurance. The most important thing is sensible perseverance. I'm humbled you'd think anything I've done merits kudos with all you've been through. Thank you ;-).

Regards to all,
                            Pam
                            Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                            AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                            Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                            Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                            EMAIL ME

Comment

Pam,

Knowing what my daughter looked like and felt like shortly after surgery, it really amazes me that an adult could take something like this on. I'm also surprised that you were given the okay for it. You obviously accomplished what you set out to do and that really is something to feel good about. It is good to witness such a positive attitude after spinal fusion. I hope to God my daughter (and myself) will one day believe that this fusion is not going to get in the way of the life she imagines for herself. I hope it really is just a temporary detour and nothing more. Good for you, Pam.
                              Melissa
                              From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
                              Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Working...
                              X