PDA

View Full Version : The walk was a success!

txmarinemom
03-09-2008, 08:23 PM
5K (3.1 miles) completed at 33 days post op ... no issues!

Here are a few pics, and yeah, I debuted my newest scar to roughly 10-12,000 fellow Houstonians - LOL ...

Walk pic 1 (http://www.box.net/shared/static/1p4ihuz484.JPG)
Walk pic 2 (http://www.box.net/shared/static/u1g9l3fsos.JPG)
Walk pic 3 (http://www.box.net/shared/static/c83z3l84kc.JPG)

(more to come later ;-)

Regards,
Pam

Geish
03-09-2008, 08:32 PM
Pam,
I am so proud of you! Your scar looks pretty damn good too! :D
Love ya,
Alicia

Aussiemum
03-09-2008, 09:08 PM
Whoooaaa!!!! Fantastic Pam - but I don't know about those comments about revealing your back to 12,000 Houstarians - what about those Boobs!!!!!! LOL, I don't think many males even NOTICED your back!!!!! LOL!
I think if word gets out that we're posting pictures like that on this forum we might see a larger male contingency on here!!!!!LOL!

Well done and congrats!

Hugs
Del

Susie*Bee
03-09-2008, 09:12 PM
Super job! Congrats! :D

trulyaries
03-09-2008, 09:19 PM
Not only a 5K walk, but posting to the forum, with pix no less. All on the same day. I'm impressed ... again! :D

nate03
03-09-2008, 09:24 PM
Congrats Pam!
Great job & you look fantastic!!
-Cara

Jimbo
03-10-2008, 01:33 AM
Your a babe!
;p

LorDon
03-10-2008, 08:49 AM
High five Pam!! You did it girl -I'm incredibly proud of you!! :)

Hugs,

briarrose
03-10-2008, 09:02 AM
Congratulations Pam! You're a huge inspiration to me. You've encouraged me to set some goals after my surgery. Nice work!

Diane BCSW
03-10-2008, 09:23 AM
Pam - never mind other question

Loved your pictures. That scar looks so familiar. hmmmmmm Guess once you've seen one, you've seen them all. LOL

Course age has a lot to do with it, but I can't get any more over 15 minutes on the treadmill per day. After the 15, I'm just worn out. Mile wise, that probably equates to maybe 1/8th ???

Congratulations. I just can't believe you did it, but the pictures certainly prove it. I'll amen all the previous replies you've received.

Diane

Neesasmum
03-10-2008, 09:39 AM
Well done Pam! You look so well and your scar looks great!
Anne

mariaf
03-10-2008, 09:44 AM
Pam,

I'm very proud of you (not that I ever had any doubts that you'd succeed). I can only imagine what an inspiration it will be for adults and also teenagers facing fusion to know that you did this just weeks after surgery!!!

And you look great!

Hugs,

JamieR
03-10-2008, 12:27 PM
Congrats on your walk!! I thought your t-shirt was a really cool idea.

txmarinemom
03-10-2008, 04:42 PM
Thanks to all for the congrats ;-). I'm a little sore today, but so was everyone else on the team - LOL. We pretty much power-walked the last half (the street they had shut off for the walk - Allen Parkway - has lots of deep underpasses, so it was a pretty steep incline for a VERY flat town!).

For all of you who have encouraged me since I announced the goal (and far before), you'll never know how much your genuine support has meant. Your faith helped me finish yesterday as much as anything. I think the world of you, and I'm honored I made you proud.

My friends (off list) have supported me during doom and gloom periods and perky periods, pre-surgery, and they have been with me, encouraging every single day, post-op. They never told me I shouldn't/couldn't do the walk: They simply decided they were walking too.

Honestly, when I made this vow to walk (I'll never forget ... about 1:00 a.m., 2/2/08 ... surgery was set for 2/5/08), I had NO idea what was in my post-op future. I only knew I needed a focus. I started soliciting donations as soon as I woke up from my 2 day nap (after I got home from the hospital), and with the first donation, I had what I needed - a reason I couldn't quit.

Either Courtney or Dawn (another friend who walked yesterday) said probably one of the nicest things to me EVER (yesterday, after the walk): "I knew you'd finish, even if you had to crawl the last mile". That may be the most endearing way I've ever been called stubborn ;-).

To all who commented on the scar? Yeah, you've seen one, you've seen 'em all. I know mine won't be perfect because I can only tolerate traditional stitches or staples, but big deal. I wore it proudly yesterday, and if I ever need a reminder of what I can do, it's there as proof. Always.

I *earned* that damn thing. Why hide it?

Del - my boobs just LOOKED bigger in that bathing suit top - no way would I have gone huge with my augmentation (2001) because it would interfere with softball. I also wanted people to listen to me professionally - and remember I have EYES. Houston isn't all that conservative ... people are used to cleavage anyway ;-).

FFF - I had to meet my daughter after the post walk lunch, so the rest of the gang came to my place to wait on me. Courtney loaded the pics from both her and Dawn's cameras on my laptop while they did. All I had to do later that evening was pick a few images, upload to my box.net storage area, and link to them. It took all of 10 minutes to create the post here/upload the pics. I should pretend it was an amazing feat, and tons of work, but I can't - LOL.

Brairrose - goals are good ... and I'm flattered if I've encouraged you. You're going to do fine!

Diane - Yes, age is a factor, but it's also a factor ranked by YOU in importance. Just because you aren't walking long distances, you're doing the most important thing ... SOMETHING! ;-) Your 15 minutes on the treadmill *will* add up, and you'll increase your endurance. The most important thing is sensible perseverance. I'm humbled you'd think anything I've done merits kudos with all you've been through. Thank you ;-).

Regards to all,
Pam

MATJESNIC
03-10-2008, 05:39 PM
Pam,

Knowing what my daughter looked like and felt like shortly after surgery, it really amazes me that an adult could take something like this on. I'm also surprised that you were given the okay for it. You obviously accomplished what you set out to do and that really is something to feel good about. It is good to witness such a positive attitude after spinal fusion. I hope to God my daughter (and myself) will one day believe that this fusion is not going to get in the way of the life she imagines for herself. I hope it really is just a temporary detour and nothing more. Good for you, Pam.