Pain?Surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pain?Surgery?

I am curently experiencing no pain only I get a soar shoulder once in a while if I lay against it for to long. ( My right shoulder sticks out quite a bit) Anyways my question is if after surgery am I just going to be in alot of pain. I'm kinda scared about this as I've never really felt any real pain before. Comments would be greatly appreciated.

13 years old
    neck-34 upper-63 lower-43
    dont have a surgery date yet but I'm waiting for one
    diagnosed with scoliosis August 2007
    I'm 19 years old, had surgery 5 years ago
    3 curves Middle curve - 65 fused to 13 Bottom curve 35- fixed on it's own to 16!
    Fused from C7 to L1

Jenny--I wish I could tell you there won't be any pain. There will. Different people feel pain in different ways. Try not to worry about it too much--they will give you pain medications that help a whole lot. Besides, everybody has pain at some time -- and we get through it. You've probably skinned your knee or done something else that hurt for awhile, but your memory of it fades. Look at all the other kids who have been through their surgeries. It's not a piece of cake, but it works out ok and you are better off in the long run. I'm pretty sure you'll get some encouraging support from kids your age, but just wanted to let you know it will be ok. You'll do fine.
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

good luck

hey jenny, i had my op when i was 14. I'd be lying if i said it isn't painful, but it's bearable. for the first few days you'll be so drugged up on medication you'll barely remeber it. what you've got to do now is think of the positives that the op will bring. I grew almost 2 inches, and that was a bonus because i'm tiny. Also, all that time off school and the presents and pampering from friends and family, these are the things that get you through the bad days. i didn't have a choice about my operation, probably like yourself but i don't regret it at all. anyway back to the pain, after the first couple of weeks the pain subsides and it's more like stiffness, it felt like i had an ironing board in my back. you'll be given whatever pain medication you need and this will really help. if you have any questions no matter how silly i'd be happy to share my experiences with you. keep us all posted with how you get on.
      you can do it... i did. you have a world of friends of this forum who will happily guide you in anyway they can.
      good luck girl xx

Comment

My son did have pain after his surgery but all the medications they gave him seemed to take away, not just his pain, but his memory of the pain. He now says he remembers no pain at all and he denies having any pain for many, many months. Good luck with your surgery - it will be fine. The waiting beforehand, and about a week afterwards, were the worst parts of it for us. My son was off all meds within 2 1/2 weeks of the surgery. You are only a year older than he was and so you'll probably recover really quickly too.
        Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
        Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
        Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Working...
        X