Major milestone!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major milestone!

Well, after 8 and a half months, I finally did my first load of laundry from start to finish -- carried the basket downstairs, unloaded the washer, loaded the dryer, folded the clothes, carried the basket back upstairs and put everything away. Just recently I've been able to go down the stairs without hanging on to the bannister for dear life so now I can carry stuff.

My long-suffering husband is very happy !!!!!!!

Chris
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

I'm not quite sure if I should say congratulations or I'm sorry! I'm so happy that you are progressing so well, however I don't ever want to be the one doing the laundry again No, really, that's wonderful. You must be so proud of yourself, I know I am proud of you. Stay Strong and keep progressing.
    Alicia
    Geish
    47 years old, dx at 13
    +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
    Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

LMAO, Geish ... I thought the same thing. Singer, you GO GIRL! It is so nice to get parts of your "normal" life back, no matter how mundane.

I'm still doing laundry with my grabber, and honestly, I may keep ON doing it that way (man, I love that thing ... if I'd known it was this much fun, I've have gotten one years ago! ;-)

Here's to continued success, and may your next major milestone be one less domestic and more ROCKSTAR - hehe.

Congrats and big hugs!
      Pam
      Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
      AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
      Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
      Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
      EMAIL ME

Comment

Way to Go Chris!

Way to go, Chris!

Congratulations on your return to the Lady of the Laundry role! It seems like some of the normal chores we did before surgery (even the yucky ones) are the things that give us satisfaction and a sense of accomplishment because they signal a return to our normal life. This week was also my first attempt to carry a laundry basket (a relatively small one) downstairs and complete the task independently. Part of me agrees with Geish that laundry is one of those things that could be "out sourced" without missing it.

My husband and I were each on our own for many years before we married. Consequently, we came into marriage with individual laundry styles and responsibility. We have been married 22 years, and he is still doing his own laundry! Our 13 year old son is also responsible for his own laundry. I refer to it as his "husband in training program". Since June, my underwear and clothing as well as every towel/sheet, etc. in our house now have a tie-dyed appearance. With a smile and gratitude, I call it "Bob's Wear & Tear cycle".

I'm glad to hear that you are making steady progress in your recovery after a rocky start. Hang in there.

Linda W.
        Linda
        Two-stage A/P fusion T6-S1 with lumbar implants June 12 & June 27, 2007 at age 57
        S curve 75+ degrees with kyphosis
        Now 45 degrees and standing 3 inches taller!
        Dr. Frank Rand, New England Baptist Hospital, Boston

Comment

Yay!

Chris, that's super! I'm so proud of you. I'm about to venture out as far as trying to clean the tub. We'll see how that goes. As far as laundry, my hubby is still doing it but that may change soon. I have the added excuse that the washer and dryer are over at our other house (manager's house at the fish and wildlife area where we live most of the time)... but we've been living at a house we bought a couple of years ago for when he retires (probably not for a long time), because it's all on one level. The other house is only about 1/4 mile away, but still has kept me from trying the laundry. Plus the dryer doesn't have a direct shot at it, with a partial wall in front of it-- couldn't stand straight on to it with the dryer door open. I may try it anyway. None of the housekeeping stuff is exciting to me though, except for cooking. And I've been on this diet for 2 months now so haven't done anything fun like cookies... Sometimes I wonder what it's worth. I lost 3 pounds the first week, but only one since. And I've been trying so hard.

Keep up the good work. You are making such progress!!!
          Last edited by Susie*Bee; 03-07-2008, 01:09 PM. Reason: add half a parenthesis...
          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Thank you ladies!

Yes, it's quite funny isn't it -- in a previous life I wouldn't have been quite so excited about doing the wash!! It's a brave new world......
            Chris
            A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
            Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
            Post-op curve: 12 degrees
            Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Working...
            X